Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
CKallday71

Outback or Revolution or Pro Angler 12?

Hey guys. I'm contemplating getting a Hobie for the pedal power. I'm trying to decide between a PA 12 and an Outback or Revolution?

I'd like to hear personal experiences. Suggestions. Warnings.

I currently have a Cobra fish and dive and I dig it but the whole pedal power thing looks so functional for fishing and the speed is awesome too.

Thanks for the input guys!

Last edited by CKallday71; 04-28-2013 at 07:46 AM.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Dannowar

Might As well do it right the first time. PA
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
TJones

previous owner of outback

i would think the outback is more versatile . i have not used a pro angler but would like to demo one . right now i have a revolution . i sacrificed stability and space for a little more speed . at one point i had both yaks and wish i had kept both . if in the future i own a second kayak , i would probably choose the pro angler , but i think you are limited on the conditions in which you could launch . i know a few guys that do this on a daily basis that are exemptions of the rule . but they also have years of experience kayaking and surfing , and make everything look simple . the dimensions of your previous or current kayak are or were probably similar . with that in mind , i would choose the outback , unless you are fishing mainly lakes and or bays . goodluck .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
CKallday71

Weight and maneuverability are also an issue. I have to load this thing solo on top of my car lol.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
ctrujillo

I started on a cobra fish and dive super stable great in open water.then i moveed up to a malibu xfactor just as stable a little quicker for a wide yak now have a pa 14 yeah its heavy but on the water that thing is awesome and i can fish further with less fatigue.its more of a boat than yak imho.i love the thing but i miss my xfactor hell next blem sale i may pick another up for my boy
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
RobFish
Massive Member

PA12 no doubt about it. Lots of folks solo load PA's roof top, and not just 12's, but 14's as well. Is a Revo faster? Probably, by a mph or two, but really how far are you going, and what's another 3 minutes of pedaling going to change?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
TJones

it is a little quicker when totally empty

but because it can't handle as much weight , when you factor in a big old man , with gear , most of that speed difference is lost .and that is not including his brew .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
RockyRaab

I can't speak to ocean launches from here in Utah, but I'm age 66 and I get my PA14 atop my Dodge Durango with no problems at all. Pulling it fully loaded back up a boat ramp is harder than getting it empty onto the truck.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
boxturtle

never tried a revo but have both outbacks and pa12....the pa12 imo has the best platform for fishing and the best seat. Loading isn't so much a problem there is lots of ways to do it and the flatbottom makes life so much easier. Even when it's a couple pounds heavier then the outback the shape of the craft makes up for it. So is it a no brainer to get a pa12? not so fast...besides the price tag there is another price to pay and very surprise nobody has mentioned it. The pa12 doesn't track very well and many says it's not designed too. You have to adjust the steering every other minute. The craft pulls to one side. The rudder too small or too far up is the flaw in design. Say what you want but it's energy wasted when it doesn't track. The outback might not have all the bells and whistles but it tracks true and has more then enough storage area for a long day of fishing. A must is an upgrade to the seat. With the money you save pick up the hullavator rack. It's just smart Thats my 2 and half cent
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
rieffer

PA 12

I've had my PA12 since last July. I love it. Really keeps you dry and comfortable. When in deep in the kelp make sure you don't forget your paddle.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
rieffer

Go for the PA12. It's a little more money, but it's got plenty of room and is really stable in some bumpy conditions. Just don't forget your paddle when fishing the kelp.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote