Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
todd one

SD bait barge relocation

As some of you may know, The San Diego bait Barge Is moving. The navy want it out of where it is now by 2104. There has been talk of it moving to the back bay. That would be the worse place they could possibly put it. It would ruin live bait Kayak fishing in the bay.. Now I'm hearing they're going to move it in front of Harbor Island. I sure hope so. That wouldn't be a problem at all. That might even be a better location. What do you guy think about that?
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
easyday

Seems like a more central location for where everyone pulls out of.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
619-SWIM-DOG

Todd ill get the inside story of when and what location they plan on moving the barge...
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
Todd ill get the inside story of when and what location they plan on moving the barge...
Thanks! That would be appreciated. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not going to the back bay.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
619-SWIM-DOG

Don't worry I believe it's going to Harbor Island area, I'll keep this posted on what comes up.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

If they move it to the Harbor Island area that would be so cool. There are many times I would love to fish with live bait but don't want to paddle all the way to the current location. When are the projecting on moving this?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
619-SWIM-DOG

Once things get final ill let you know. They should put out a "Notice to Mariners" message about this.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
kobra

I doubt very seriously that it would move to the south bay. There is typically too much of a temperature difference from front to back and it's too far in the wrong direction for the sporties. Just my 2 centavos.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
If they move it to the Harbor Island area that would be so cool. There are many times I would love to fish with live bait but don't want to paddle all the way to the current location. When are the projecting on moving this?
If you're launching at the Shelter Island, I say Harbor Island it about the distance at the current location, just opposite direction.

I guess you could launch at Spanish Landing. That would put you closer.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
jaws197

From what I was told by one of the bait guys a few months back Everingham desperately wants the harbor island location due to temperature and flow issues, but the authorities in the bay want it out of sight.....The bait guys know that they will lose a ton of bait in the back as well as the sport boats having to go so much further to load up instead of grabbing on the way out.

The previous posters are perfectly correct that the harbor island would make things soo much easier to fish live bait towards the bridge!!!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws197 View Post
From what I was told by one of the bait guys a few months back Everingham desperately wants the harbor island location due to temperature and flow issues, but the authorities in the bay want it out of sight.....The bait guys know that they will lose a ton of bait in the back as well as the sport boats having to go so much further to load up instead of grabbing on the way out.

The previous posters are perfectly correct that the harbor island would make things soo much easier to fish live bait towards the bridge!!!
YEs it would be an eye sore in front of Harbor Island. There really is no good alternative. It's going to be interesting to see where it goes.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

I doubt that it would be placed in front of Harbor Island, but there are areas that they can put it so that the sporties can hit it on the way out. However they will have to do a better job of keeping it clean so that it doesn't smell as bad. I'm sure this can all be worked out.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
LawDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd one View Post
As some of you may know, The San Diego bait Barge Is moving. The navy want it out of where it is now by 2104. There has been talk of it moving to the back bay. That would be the worse place they could possibly put it. It would ruin live bait Kayak fishing in the bay.. Now I'm hearing they're going to move it in front of Harbor Island. I sure hope so. That wouldn't be a problem at all. That might even be a better location. What do you guy think about that?
Man the navy is looking at future ops there. Still have almost 100 years to move, 2104 is a long ways out. Lol
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
bosshoss

2104 ????
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
jaws197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I doubt that it would be placed in front of Harbor Island, but there are areas that they can put it so that the sporties can hit it on the way out. However they will have to do a better job of keeping it clean so that it doesn't smell as bad. I'm sure this can all be worked out.

From what I gathered Jimmy it was predominately about flow through the cages to keep the bait its healthiest. The further you go back in the bay the slower the flow, they are adamantly opposed to be further back in the bay than they are now.

I agree totally about keeping the mess down and the smell close to the bigger tourist attraction at Harbor Island.
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws197 View Post
From what I gathered Jimmy it was predominately about flow through the cages to keep the bait its healthiest. The further you go back in the bay the slower the flow, they are adamantly opposed to be further back in the bay than they are now.

I agree totally about keeping the mess down and the smell close to the bigger tourist attraction at Harbor Island.
It's funny the Navy is getting all grumpy about this, that thing has been in that area for as long as I can remember. I remember my dad and I heading out there when I was 7 to get bait, and I'm now 41. So it's been there a long time. It is the best location for it because of the better water flow. Moving it to the back of the bay would really mess up the bait. I think the only choices for them to move it would be where the sport boats come out so that they don't have to do anything but go from the dock, to the barge, to the fishing grounds. Similar to what Mission Bay has. I'm sure they could make it work They may have to make it smaller than it currently is, but I think moving it there would be the best choice.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
walrus

Want the real scoop on what's happening with the temporary relocation?

http://baitbarge.com/

Last edited by walrus; 10-17-2013 at 08:13 AM.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Want the real scoop on what's happening with the temporary relocation?

http://baitbarge.com/
Wow, those relocation areas suck, as far as where we launch and fish for halibut in SD bay. Looks like 4 extra miles of paddling, according to their scale, which isn't going to happen for the "chance" our honey hole is producing on any given day.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
Jimmyz123

http://www.baitbarge.com/relocation-map.html

Looking at the maps again this is really going to suck. Has there been any word on when this will happen?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 12-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
todd one

No official word yet. They guys at the barge were saying around Harbor Island somewhere. That wouldn't be too bad. I could live with it. There's some good Halibut fishing on that side too.