Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
jscott

Sat/Sun Late Report

I was working down here in San Diego this weekend...and I was able to sneak out for back to back sessions. I went out Sat evening from about 5p-9p and then Sun AM from about 4:30a-10a. Sat evening-- I paddle all around.. not many yakkers out (proabably due to am tourney). Tide was up so kelp was submerged-- LOTS SNAGS! Caught a bunch of spanish macs and a couple smelties. Lots of barry-slashed baits! I managed one good almost 5# FAT calico (released). Also as dusk came on-- I saw some good bait boils-- paddled over and my fly-line went off....I'm pulling it in-- and as I'm fighting it-- other line starts taking off. I put other rod into gear, and the circle hook does it's job and it's on and towing me a little bit while I'm still fighting the other. I pull up a short WSB-- about 26" (my biggest yet!)-- because I know WSB are delicate-- instead of letting him hang and get the other line, I quickly get him up (snap a pic) and get out the circle hook that was lodged perfectly in the corner of the mouth (ended up bending the hook just to get it out)-- released the guy to swim happily away. Then get to the other rod...and I find it is a bigger model something. I am getting pulled. I'm bringing it up-- looking for color-- and it runs back down to bottom. I'm working hard to keep him out of kelp. Then he comes up again and runs again. I'm bringing him up-- now with gaff close by...and POP! Damn-- only like 10 feet from the leader-- just before I would have had color! I really think this was my keeper WSB!
AARRRGGHHH!! Circle hook comes up with nothing on it. Must have only had him on a small piece of his mouth! Now it is pretty dark and I start paddling in. Swell was up and it was pretty choppy out. Kind of spooky paddling around in the dark and NO-one else around. I was farther out than I thought and it took 1hr to get back to the beach. Landed nicely and packed up. Back at it in the AM. Made spanish macs pretty quickly...only mega greenies-- so they went back. Paddle out and I'm fishing in about 70-80' of water. Soon after I'm there-- the New Seaforth and the Dolphin come up pretty close and anchor off. Of course...pretty soon there was a zoo of PBers all around. Normally I would paddle away and find my own spot...but I was here first...and now they are chumming up the water pretty good. So I'm sitting-- I see them catching some barries and so am I. I manage about 5 good 10#+ barries on bait and iron. I gaff 3 of them and bleed em. Other 2 shook iron next to the yak while I was deciding whether or not I wanted more and letting them exhaust themselves (they thrash pretty good on deck-- and sharp teeth between my legs don't make me comfy!) I'm sitting there and my weighted line starts singing!! I do my count and put it in gear and BAM, I'm on! I start getting towed...I'm a little worried about getting pulled into some of these pbers or the party boat, so I am trying to work him pretty good and keep turning the head. Several runs and about 15 minutes later-- I gaff a nice 17# yellow to the cheers of the party boat passengers! I had heard of 1 or so yellows on each party boat-- mostly barracuda for all the pbers. I was stoked!! Paddle back in with almost 50# of fish on board and go to work.

Here are some pics...

Gary-- I heard you tagged one also-- nice job!! Tight lines all...
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
gary sullivan

Jason, keep working the area for wsb because they're still out there. I'm glad back to back outings paid off for you. See you out on the water. Gary
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
h2ofishfo

good job bro puttin in work
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
lamb

Nice!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Very cool! Nice that you got in 2 trips out there!
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
jimbofish
Junior

Great Job Jason!!
Old 08-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
slayersmith

Great post and pictures!

Take it easy!

Aaron
slayersmith is offline   Reply With Quote