Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #61
Gr8fuldude

Makobob, I sent you a pm, but I might as well post on the thread as well. I realize I am brand new to the board, but I would love, love, love to get in on this if there is still room. Like, I might spontaneously combust if it can happen. As it is, there is nothing holding me back. I've got the time off, and both bosses (the work one and the home one) have given the green light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Put it off a year, then your wife is PG and guess what? 10 years pass before you can even think about it again
Makobob, you just described me to a tee, as my wife will be undergoing IVF this Fall, and well, this will be my last shot at something this epic for a while (hopefully not 10 years though!). I realize I'm the new guy, so here's my introduction--fishing machine but I have a lot to learn regarding kayak fishing, armed with both conventional and fly, fully bilingual (y enamorado de mexico), and a team player first and foremost.

If there's still room, this trip would be a dream come true. And reading the various posts and highlights from last year, this really seems like a great group of guys. Not to sound too desparate, but I'm willing to be submit to any drug or psychological testing if necessary
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #62
Mahigeer

GR8fuldude,

Maybe we can carpool together, if there is room at the "inn".

I am new to kayak, but not fishing.

I have all the camping gear for trip like this if needed.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #63
buddha

I would like to split gas with someone that has a truck that can fit two kayaks. Also I can go for 7 to 10 days but would rather not miss two weekends in a row due to a lot of my work being on the weekends.

So I can go October 17-23 coming back on a Friday or

October Monday 12 and stay for 7 to 10 days or

October Monday 19 and stay for 7 to 10 days.

So basically I am open as long as I don't miss two weekends in a row.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #64
YakDout
Brandon

MrPukaShell messaged me a while back and took my offer to split gas. So unless anything has changed on his end he will be riding in my truck. Hopefully he will reply here. As far as the dates buddha, my schedule is completely opposite yours. I am mon-fri. Not to say we can't be flexible on the dates, but I will be missing more work if we are there more days during the week. This is all if I dont switch jobs in the next couple months. I have an interview with the city of Hemet coming up on May 6th for a building inspector position, so vacation time will definitely be affected somehow. Even if I don't get this job, I am still actively searching to get in somewhere as a building inspector Full time in the next couple months. At least October is still really far out.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #65
nickc5

I'm down to tag along if anyone has some room. Pretty open this summer too. Talked with a few buddies and most likely going to do a trip down the baja coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #66
momo fish

My favorite time of year for Baja...
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #67
Gr8fuldude

MakoBob, thanks for taking the time for talking to me last night, and for finding a way to work me into the Oktoberfiesta, I can't wait.

I got my first taste of GB (as well as Baja kayak fishing) a few weeks ago staying at Alfonsina's. As I paddled in at dusk on my last day, battle-weary arms aching from fighting fish, soaking in the horizon ablaze with orange and red, utterly exhausted but profoundly at peace, I realized that this place, and specifically this activity, had become a part of my soul. My mission now is to keep coming back as many times as possible while I can still draw breath.

I'm a novice to kayak fishing and I look forward to learning from everyone here at BWE as I embark on the journey from beginner to seasoned veteran.

I think it will be a good journey.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #68
MrPukaShell

Hey Brandon, yes I am still in on the ride share. As far as dates I am flexible and can stay as long as you want. Both weekends and the week will work for me. Heck if you want to stay two weeks and three weekends I am good to go. I will have a new vehicle by October and can drive if needed. So looking forward to this.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #69
buddha

I know it is far away but I will need to carpool with someone on this trip.

Let me know if you want to share gas expenses.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #70
Socalkayak
Junior

Thanks for the spot . cant wait. So peaceful there. Hey Bob is 4x4 needed To get to your place from road. I have nissan frontier With A/T tires. Should i bring tent. Im coming from camarillo. October should be beter than when i went in June. 100 degrees + .
Socalkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #71
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalkayak View Post
Thanks for the spot . cant wait. So peaceful there. Hey Bob is 4x4 needed To get to your place from road. I have nissan frontier With A/T tires. Should i bring tent. Im coming from camarillo. October should be beter than when i went in June. 100 degrees + .
My truck is ONE wheel drive, I let the air pressure down on all 4 tires and that is usually good enough not to get stuck, and we have other drivers to get you out if need be. Tent should be good.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #72
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
AS of 12 MAY here is what I show for this trip, please correct me if I an wrong.

Mr Pukashell
YakDout
Svendawg
Buddha
Danjor
Defjack
SoCalYak
Mahigeer
Monstahfish
Gr8fuldude

this should just about fill this trip, but think we cun put up a palapa by the resturant for 2-3 more people seeing this is such a hot time of the year to fish.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 05-13-2015 at 03:41 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #73
monstahfish

Buddha, maybe you can ride with me. I've got the escape and it can carry enough gear for 2 guys as well as two boats and I have 4 wheel drive too. I know it's a "cute ute" but it's never failed me yet. If space is an issue I can alway load up the yak trailer. Might even be able to take a third guy if we pack right.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #74
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Buddha, maybe you can ride with me. I've got the escape and it can carry enough gear for 2 guys as well as two boats and I have 4 wheel drive too. I know it's a "cute ute" but it's never failed me yet. If space is an issue I can alway load up the yak trailer. Might even be able to take a third guy if we pack right.
That would be great to ride with you. Two east coasters on their way to baja! Thanks for the offer.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #75
YakDout
Brandon

Ya bob, I'm a go for sure unless I land my new job before then. Still a possibility if I do get it though.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #76
Gr8fuldude

Hey Bob I'm all in and can't wait
Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #77
udowinkler
Junior

YakDout and mako are right.

I for one have traveled the Baja peninsula 6-12 times a year since 1966. I have tent-camped in some desolate spots, as well as in a VW Westfalia, motorcycle, a variety of Jeeps and cars, several RVs, and the last 8 years traveling in a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have been more fearful of our own CBP agents at the US border than the Mexican population in Baja.
The trouble spots are all in the mainland, and they never include tourists. Although the last couple of months there has been some drug trade violence in La Paz (the dealers seemed to have found a quiet place to live, but their trouble has caught up to them), but it has been localized in one area. Just as the drug violence in Tijuana has been localized to one square mile area.
Hell, you have more people getting killed on a daily basis in the Los Angeles area, than all of Baja. And even though the latest trouble area is La Paz, I would not hesitate to visit the area, or have second thoughts about living there...it is such a gorgeous place.

On a footnote to all of you who are on the fence about traveling to Baja: I monitor on a daily basis several Baja bulletin boards and blogs, including www.bajanomad.com which is the best board for up-to-date travel information.

My personal e-mail is udowinkler@yahoo.com if any of you wish to contact me about travels and roads in any Baja area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Hate to say it man but if that's you're thinking then you may never be able to enjoy Baja. Regardless of vacation time...
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #78
YakDout
Brandon

Trip dates are still set for October 17th-24th.

I however will have to be returning on Wednesday October 21st. I am taking over a week off in August to visit and fish Punta Abreojos so I will need to work that thursday and friday when I am back from Gonzaga. Robert (aka MrPukaShell) may want someone to carpool with for the full trip duration. I leave that up to him to contact another one of you on the trip if my dates are too short for him. Really wish I could stay the full 7 days but I will be slammed with work. The way Bob likes to do dinners is alternate nights so we will keep it simple and continue the same way. Its makes it easier for everyone as we do not have to use the grill for everyones individual dinner every night of the trip. Below will be a list of everyone I currently have on the trip as well as dates for dinners. BTW everyone is pretty much on their own for breakfast and lunch. Not a huge ordeal as the fishing was so awesome last year at this time, I usually had a very small breakfast and skipped lunch. Fishing is more important than eating.

IN FOR SURE

1. Buddha
2. Mrpukashell
3. Makobob
4. SocalKayak
5. DefJack
6. Danjor
7. SvenDawg
8. Monstahfish
9. Yakdout
10. GR8fuldude

MAYBES

BajaTraveler
MikeScales
MahiGeer

Please let me know if I have forgotten anyone or if anyone has changed their mind etc.. I will edit the list of people going as well as dinner dates. Please if you are a for sure go pick a date that is not taken yet for dinner. Keep in mind you are cooking for the whole camp. Could be 8 guys could be 4. We will have a better count soon. Also if you have any questions as to what to bring, or anything at all, Post here so we can get them answered. THIS IS A TRIP OF A LIFETIME.

Saturday October 17th
Sunday October 18th Yakdout
Monday October 19th
Tuesday October 20th
Wednesday October 21st
Thursday October 22nd
Friday October 23rd

Home on the 24th

This trip is very inexpensive especially if sharing fuel costs and I highly recommend getting Insurance on your vehicle for the trip. www.bajabound.com is the site that I use. It is a good piece of mind to have. Also Bob will be collecting some $ for the water we will use for showers and toilets and since I do not know the current state of his place after getting a new septic tank, he will let us all know how much it will be per person.

Can't wait to make some more memories down there!

Last edited by YakDout; 07-20-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #79
buddha

I believe you forgot Monstahfish as I will be car pooling with him. Did he cancel?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #80
YakDout
Brandon

Yes I may have forgotten him. Will add to the list.