Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Bahia Asuncion update

Just a quick update on the fishing in Bahia Asuncion. The water temp has finally warmed up here. I have been seeing some 66 and 67 degree water out there, the warmest it has been since I've gotten here. There has been a huge influx of fin bait over the last week or so, probably as a result of the warmer water. Massive schools of tiny sardines and 3 to 4 inch mackerel. Fin bait combined with the red crab make it almost impossible to find water without bait.
Yesterday was the most part exciting day I have had on the water in a very long time. San Roque island was plugged with bait and huge schools of yellows blowing up on the bait balls. Surface irons were doing the trick as I went 7 for 11 on yellows to 26 lbs. I might have caught 8 since I thought one of them was camera shy, but I do have pictures of 7 different fish. It was an amazing day. All fish released.

I made a collage of these pictures but seems to be to large. I'll try to resize it and post it later.

I launched locally in Asuncioh on Monday morning. Since I had been out on Sunday I had planned to have a rest day on Monday but when the sun came up it was so warm and calm and so much bait and bird activity out in front, I decided to troll the up the beach for a couple hours, since I had never explored in that direction. After a mile or two of paddling I was frustrated by the floating eel grass in the water fouling my Rapala so I made a left turn and headed off shore. At about 4 miles out I found some good looking water with a lot of bait, some ponies and a lot of bird activity. Looked around there for a while and saw some surface action but I think they were yellows, and they showed no interest in what I was offering. Made another left turn and headed a mile or so off Isla Asuncion to some tuna numbers that a local had given me. Same kind of action all along the way. Baits and boils and birds but no biters. Gave up and made the 4.5 mile trek back to the launch. So what was going to be a shore day for me turned to not a 14 mile fruitless paddle.

I am headed over to Santa Rosaliita next week for a few days. About a 4 hr drive from here. Have heard some rumors of some WSB scores over there so gonna try to get me some of that.

That's it for now, but looking forward to some visitors later in the month.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Name:  Desktop.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  68.4 KB
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 07-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
Dannowar

Livin the life while la jolla is a zoo. Can't wait to get away from the parking lot in a few weeks. Way to slay em rossman!!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
walrus

Not a double, or triple, or even quad, but YT domination. Ya da man.

Congrats and keep these reports coming, I wish things were different so I could make it down there with Mako in July.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Gr8fuldude

Rossman please keep the reports comin'! I'd love to find a way to take you up on your generous offer!!!!!! Kind of difficult with a toddler at home, but it sounds like a dream trip.

I don't know you except through your Asuncion reports, but I have deep admiration for you.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I was out there again today and there were some real bruisers out there today. Managed 4 of them but all over 30 lbs. One taped out at 42. Got rocked on 2 of them with absolutely no chance of stopping them on 40 pound string. There was 8 pangas out there this morning and every one was killing it.
— Herman Melville

Old 07-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I was out there again today and there were some real bruisers out there today. Managed 4 of them but all over 30 lbs. One taped out at 42. Got rocked on 2 of them with absolutely no chance of stopping them on 40 pound string. There was 8 pangas out there this morning and every one was killing it.
Nice! Thanks for the update.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Apex

What dreams are made of . this is so motivating to finally make my way down to fish these gemz .
Old 07-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
udowinkler
Junior

Great updates, buddy.
Seems like a fisherman's paradise in front of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Deamon

Rossman!!!...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
udowinkler
Junior

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Rossman!!!...
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
buddha

Nice!

Have you been hassled by the seals at San Roque at all?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #13
tamddo714

thanks for the report! makes me wanna go down there so bad
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
ashmoz

so amazing
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote