Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The first 19 were easy.

Since I arrived here around the first od March I have been recording my YT catches and as of April 4th I was at 19. I was not counting the smaller school sized rats that I was running into but only ones that I would consider harvesting if I was in the need for freezer stock. Probably 12 lb or above. Since April 4th it has been a real struggle getting number 20. The yellowtail appeared to have vacated the area around that time. There was no particular weather event that happened at that time. No change in water temp. No change in water color. I continued to hit the usual spots and got a chance to really explore some new areas when the usual spots did not produce. There was always fish to be caught but just not the right kind. I had a couple noteworthy catches during the period since April 4th. One was a huge Rubber Lipped Surf Perch (why do they call them surf perch? Every one I have caught have been in 50 to 70 feet of water) which I caught on a Sabiki of all things. The thing was 16 1/4 inches long.

I also landed what was probably my PB calico. 23 inches in length . I forgot the girth but it taped out to just shy of 8 lbs.

As I struggled to find number 20 I even tried to hire one of the local pangeros for a day to get my YT fix. He basically said save your money, they're gone.

Well I went out again yesterday morning out of San Roque and finally picked up number 20. Taped out at 28 lbs. He was mean. I really thought I had hooked a much larger fish. They just seem to fight harder down here. Here's a picture:

Name:  P1000109.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  42.3 KB

We have had a couple interesting weather related happenings over the past couple weeks. First of all, about 2 weeks ago the water temp took a dive. I was out on a Tuesday and the temp was at 65 degrees, which was the warmest I have seen and I went out on Friday, and it had dropped to 59 degrees. I hit it on the following Monday and it was 58 degrees. I don't think Southern California has seen 58 degree water since 2013.

The week end after the water temp drop we had a day of rain. Thunder and lightning type rain. It put on a real light show over the ocean in the middle of the night and then rumbled and flashed and sprinkled most of the day. It finally gave way to a beautiful tropical sunset in the west and a full double rainbow in the east. We had a total of .27 inch of rain. It's amazing how poorly this area handles rain. The streets were a mess, and I couldn't even get out to San Roque the next morning because of the mud and runoff.

That's it for now. Gotta get after number 21.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
walrus

Congrats on number 20. It sounds like you're the dream as many suggested when you left from here.

I'm kinda curious, what's your primary past time activity, after fishing of course?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Congrats on number 20. It sounds like you're the dream as many suggested when you left from here.

I'm kinda curious, what's your primary past time activity, after fishing of course?
We'll I have been doing a a lot of reading which I enjoy. Fiction mostly. I took a bunch of hardcovers down here with me plus a Nook with a few books on it and my a nexus 7 with a few more. The house has a very nice TV and Blu-ray player and a library of close to a thousand dvds which keeps me occupied. Long walks on the deserted beaches with my shore rod or just beach combing. I have to be back in California in late August for a month or so and I'm thinking of getting a quad or dirt bike to explore some areas that I can't get to with my truck. Depending on your outlook, there is plenty to do or not much to do. It fits me just fine.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
Mike scales

Great report! Sounds absolutely amazing there. Cheers!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
buddha

Congratulations on number 20. I wonder if yellowtail have been caught in every month down there? Have you mingled with the locals? To me it would be a perfect spot if it was relatively close to a larger city but then again it wouldn't be what it is, which is a nice remote spot with few tourists and relatively undeveloped which is fantastic.

If there were a good golf course nearby that would be great also but highly doubtful that would ever happen at all.

Being a city boy most of my life to me it would be tough to live down there year round but you seem to have found contentment.

Good on you.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
Deamon

Your posts are the first ones I open...ALWAYS. Way to live the dream Brotha Rossman. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Fishing sounds all-time and like you are getting the place dialed.. got to make it down and learn a thing or 2 from THE local Nice fish!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Fishing sounds all-time and like you are getting the place dialed.. got to make it down and learn a thing or 2 from THE local Nice fish!
Thanks, and come on down. Let me be one of the first to congratulate you on whatever post you may put up here I the next week or so.
— Herman Melville

Old 04-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Thanks, and come on down. Let me be one of the first to congratulate you on whatever post you may put up here I the next week or so.
Thanks Rossman!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Congratulations on number 20. I wonder if yellowtail have been caught in every month down there? Have you mingled with the locals? To me it would be a perfect spot if it was relatively close to a larger city but then again it wouldn't be what it is, which is a nice remote spot with few tourists and relatively undeveloped which is fantastic.

If there were a good golf course nearby that would be great also but highly doubtful that would ever happen at all.

Being a city boy most of my life to me it would be tough to live down there year round but you seem to have found contentment.

Good on you.
We'll I have caught yellows every month from November through April so I am going to bet that they can be caught every month. I'll let you know in October.

No golf course close by but lots of sand traps and a big ass water hazard.
— Herman Melville

Old 04-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
We'll I have caught yellows every month from November through April so I am going to bet that they can be caught every month. I'll let you know in October.

No golf course close by but lots of sand traps and a big ass water hazard.
Amigo, you are probabally right, year round yellows. BTW Hobie called Friday with me flat on my back and said the MY NEW 2015 OUTBACK was ready for pickup. Got to pick it up this morning, now to do the rigging so it is ready by the time I can get back into the water after toe removal. New yak means lots of motovation. Ross leave me a few fish for July, see you then.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Amigo, you are probabally right, year round yellows. BTW Hobie called Friday with me flat on my back and said the MY NEW 2015 OUTBACK was ready for pickup. Got to pick it up this morning, now to do the rigging so it is ready by the time I can get back into the water after toe removal. New yak means lots of motovation. Ross leave me a few fish for July, see you then.

Good news on your new peddle boat. Better think about the new version of the peddle thingy. Reportedly easier on the body, but not the wallet.

No worry about leaving some fish for ya. I have only harvested 2 fish in 7 weeks, one being the 48 pounder so it will probably be another month or so before I take another.
— Herman Melville

Old 04-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

Sounds like the upwelling is finally happening. Good news for baitfish populations. Thanks for the report
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
the dude

cool read, you're living the dream
Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #15
taggermike

Great fish report and general news up date. I hope your MIA yellows are swimming hard straight north to la Jolla. Years ago I made a spring break surf trip to abre ojos. Water was mid to low 60s in SD. Dam, it had to be low 50s in abre. The sea bass can get thick in the spring off central Baja. Maybe time to find some macks and slow troll a big one around. Keep up the reports. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #16
udowinkler
Junior

Great fishing reports, Ross.
I'm glad you are having such great luck in BA...the fishing capital of Baja!
udowinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
GBF

You are killing it!!