Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Cbad Mike

LJ 7/30

Launched at 5 to knee high waves and flat conditions. Headed out to the squid boat that was anchored to try to use its lights to catch squirts which didn't work. I brought some frozen ones to drop down while trying to bring live ones up. As soon as they hit bottom the heads got bitten off by Mackerel. I was able to bring up one here and one there and decided to save them for a more squid friendly area. They were hard to catch until I got right on top of the small clusters and then it was 2-3 at a time. The Mackerel were so aggressive that I caught 4 on my squid jig and even caught 2 when they swallowed my 3 oz weight.
Met up with some friends and had more laughs than bites. Paddled around with the masses until heading out to try for some Rock fish. That didn't work either so back in we went.
I stayed on the water till about 3 because it was such a beautiful day but fishing kinda sucked.
I saw only 2 fish caught and one was a HUGE Mola that isn't my story to tell.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
beef78
Large Member

Yeah, the mackerel were ridiculous last time I was out there. I also caught 4 baby rockfish when I dropped my sabiki to the bottom in 110 feet of water. It was weird.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Baja_Traveler

Paddled around with the masses - on a Tuesday...

Maybe my dreams of fishing while I'm at work are way overblown...

Think I'll change my daydreams to something else.

Bummer.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
FreezeYak
Junior

It was close to the same on Wednesday after work. I only saw one other kayak on his way in, not one PB, and the light boat left once I got there. I had the entire place to myself (there is typically a reason for that). Made plenty of squirts while fighting the wind. Completed two long drifts in 80-90 ft of water from the NW corner to the edge of the grounds. Nada.
FreezeYak is offline   Reply With Quote