Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Best vehicle for hauling a kayak?

I love my little 99 4cyl single cab Tacoma, but it’s kinda dumb for hauling a kayak around. Has a clamshell bed cover that’s great for storing and locking, but I have to use a square reciever mounted T post to haul my yak and it is less than ideal. Rather than camper shell it, I figured it’s a good opportunity for a 4x4 upgrade.

I’m thinking of getting rid of it and going for either a truck with a camper shell or an SUV. Thinking 4cyl or efficient 6. Def 4x4 for Baja. Ideally enough room to camp in the back. Would love to go trailer eventually but that’s a conversation for a different house

I’m eyeing an old Xterra, 4Runner, Tacoma, or frontier.

Curious if anyone has a ride that they particularly love for hauling their kayaks (or for that matter one they especially hate)
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
nmeofun
Junior

It's SoCal... you need to go with a lifted diesel w/ at least 35 inch tires!

On a serious note; you could keep what you have and just go w/ a rack system. My truck (yes, it's a diesel) fits my boat in the bed but I also got the overhead rack so I can take multiple boats. Once you get used to loading it's pretty easy to do by yourself.

You mention a trailer, so you may want to keep that in mind if you change trucks. Although it's not in the cards now, trucks have different towing capacities and you don't want to find that you underestimated your needs when the time comes. Unless you're just talking about a trailer to tow your kayak in which case you could just get a Miata!
nmeofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

You have a snug top, type cover correct? If so take it off and put a rack on it. Sounds like you already have a great vehicle for hauling your kayak around.

With that said, a newer 4 runner would be nice...

Last edited by ful-rac; 03-03-2018 at 11:32 AM.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
tacmik

Tractor trailer. A brand new Peterbuilt with a 55 ft trail will haul everything easily.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:50 AM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I say what every runs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Tractor trailer. A brand new Peterbuilt with a 55 ft trail will haul everything easily.
If there's a will there's a way....
Reheat yesterdays cold hotdogs, and eat left over fish cold....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170619_111928.jpg (57.2 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 20170619_110526.jpg (38.3 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 20160902_112103.jpg (61.6 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by MITCHELL; 03-06-2018 at 03:51 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Choose what works best for you....

Double check your load....don't leave anything that can vibrate loose....nothing better than a good rope for tying off...your a fisherman knots shouldn't be a problem if so lean quick you don't want to kill somebody. Like a guy on a motorcycle.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Im confused. You’re currently driving a Tacoma but you are looking at Tacoma’s? Are you simply looking for a 4 wheel drive vehicle? If you like the Tacoma’s, Ditch your two wheel drive truck and buy a 4x4 Tacoma. Great baja vehicle.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #8
fourtogo

Kayak hauler

Dodge Maxi Van 3500 12 footer on floor . 14 footer with rack . Drive in fast lane , no trailer nobody can see what you have .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
monstahfish

I'd caution against the xterra for roof height alone. I had one for a few years and it did everything I ever asked of it, but getting the yak on the roof was a pain. I drive a 2011 4wd ford escape and it's been low maintenance tows small and medium trailers fairly well, has easily roamed the beach at Makoville, even surprised people by how well it did on the sand and taken me into moderately difficult trails in the sierras and east coast. Ground clearance becomes an issue at some point though.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
SoCalEDC

Raised bed rack/surf rack what ever you want to call it is superior for hauling kayaks IMO. Put the kayak on the rack throw all your sandy gear in the bed CLOSE THE TAILGATE and get on the road.

I was a car topper for a while and that was ok cause I could park in the garage with the yak loaded the night before but I didnt like the sand in the trunk.

I was a T bar extender guy for a short while but parking was miserable and having the tail gate down nullified the use of the bed because it didn't enclose anything from falling out.

with the raised rack I can put 2 kayaks on top and have an empty bed for what ever else I want. Nothing in the cab to get it sandy and gross, etc. Also comes in handy for tying all kinds of other stuff down when needed.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote