Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
LBKayakDude

2nd rod stamp

I'm wondering what anyone's experiences have been with this.

I've always bought the second rod stamp but my buddy never does. He has been checked and says they never bring it up just as long as he has his license.

Just curious what other's experiences may be. Anyone ever got a ticket for not having or been asked if they have the second rod stamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

2nd rod stamp is only for freshwater.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

2nd Rod stamp only required for inland waters, so typically considered for freshwater only.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
Rambo

I had an incident in Castaic Lake, where DFG pulled up to our boat and checked if all of us had 2 rod stamps and count the amount of polls in the water. Lucky everyone had 2 rod stamps since each of us had a 2nd rod bait and wait while we threw jigs with the other one. DFG handed one guy next to us a ticket for not having a 2nd rod and fishing with 2 poles.

So the rules are more strictly enforce on inland lake. No more warning are given to fishermen.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBKayakDude View Post
I'm wondering what anyone's experiences have been with this.

I've always bought the second rod stamp but my buddy never does. He has been checked and says they never bring it up just as long as he has his license.

Just curious what other's experiences may be. Anyone ever got a ticket for not having or been asked if they have the second rod stamp?

Dude! We going fishing this weekend or what? It's been forever!!!! Get Thomas and let's hit up LJ (winds permitting).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
straightrod

Wife and I fish exclusively ocean and have always bought 2nd rod stamp. Is everyone sure 2nd rod stamp is just for inland water?
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #7
Reiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
Wife and I fish exclusively ocean and have always bought 2nd rod stamp. Is everyone sure 2nd rod stamp is just for inland water?
I'm sorry that you wasted your money. 2nd rod stamp is for inland waters only

Please check the link.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Fishing
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
LBKayakDude

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Good stuff to know

LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
I'm sorry that you wasted your money. 2nd rod stamp is for inland waters only

Please check the link.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Fishing
Yep, X2. I feel for you wasting your money like that. That's when it's good for the person selling you your license to be knowledgeable and inform you that it's not required in the ocean.

Maybe someone will quote me a regulation, sometimes off of LJ I've been known to troll 2 baits behind me, and in a moment of boredom, drift for a short while casting my iron on a 3rd rod, both surface and bottom searching, hoping to find the right rock, or passerby. It actually worked last trip giving me a legal calico.
Is that 3rd rod usage legal?
Thanks for any info on this.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
acorad

28.65. GENERAL. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:

(a) San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.

(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.

(c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes) or lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are aboard or in possession, where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections 28.55 or 28.27, respectively.
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
28.65. GENERAL. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:

(a) San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.

(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.

(c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes) or lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are aboard or in possession, where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections 28.55 or 28.27, respectively.
Thanks acorad for the information.
It seems okay for me to cast that iron, then.
It makes me wonder though, if I haven't caught a rockfish or lingcod, can I use a 5 hook ganion, then upon catching one of either and having it on aboard and in possession, go down to a 2 hook setup. Just saying, verbatim, it looks like one could...I'm not really trying to bend the law, just wondering is all...
Old 09-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
acorad

I'm no expert, but I think 28.55 & 28.27 mean you can't fish for rockfish or lingcod with more than two hooks and one line, and 28:55 means if you have rockfish or lingcod aboard or in possession then you can only fish with [edit: a maximum of] two hooks and one line (no matter what you are fishing for).

§ 28.55. Rockfish

[...](d) Method of take: When angling, gear is restricted to not more than two hooks and one line. For purposes of this section, a hook is a single hook, or a double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank.

§ 28.27. Lingcod.

[...](d) Method of take: When angling, gear is restricted to not more than two hooks and one line. For purposes of this section, a hook is a single hook, or double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank.

§ 28.55. General. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:

[...](c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes) or lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are aboard or in possession, where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections 28.55 or 28.27, respectively.

Last edited by acorad; 09-16-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
I'm no expert, but I think 28.55 & 28.27 mean you can't fish for rockfish or lingcod with more than two hooks and one line, and 28:55 means if you have rockfish or lingcod aboard or in possession then you can only fish with two hooks and one line (no matter what you are fishing for).

§ 28.55. Rockfish (Sebastes).

[...](d) Method of take: When angling, gear is restricted to not more than two hooks and one line. For purposes of this section, a hook is a single hook, or a double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank.

§ 28.27. Lingcod.

[...](d) Method of take: When angling, gear is restricted to not more than two hooks and one line. For purposes of this section, a hook is a single hook, or double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank.

§ 28.55. General. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:

[...](c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes) or lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are aboard or in possession, where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections 28.55 or 28.27, respectively.
Yeah, I can see that now, with the additional regulations you listed. With the size of the regulation book, thanks for doing the work for me
Old 09-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
acorad

No worries, I wanted to know too.

Andy
Old 09-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #15
Phishphood

Yup. Just to confirm you can fish any number of lines from your boat (pier is limited to a total of 2 rods and/or nets).but as soon as you start fishing for something with hook regulations like rockfish or salmon you need to adhere to those. Additionally, if you hook and land one of those on a non- approved rig you're supposed to throw it back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote