Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

DFG Meeting - A Newbie's Observations

This was the first time I was able to make it to one of these events. In case anyone is interested, I will try to share some of my observations.

I hooked up with TMan, his son Clay and Clay's friend Julian at about 7:30AM. Martin, who is a veteran of many of these things really helped me get oriented. Thanks Martin, lets hit the water one of these days and you can continue your lesson.

My first impression when pulling into the parking lot was that it looked like we would be well represented. The Bloody Decks crowd looked to be about 100 strong. They were a scruffy looking bunch on average but nice guys all around.

I met quite a few kayak guys as well. It was nice to put faces to some names. Our group was less well represented but most who were there seemed to be well prepared and committed to the challenge at hand.

The speaker sign-up process took a lot longer than expected. When everyone who wanted to talk was signed up, there were over 700 speaker cards submitted, although many, including myself ceded time to others. My minute went to 10 year old Clay, the fishcatcher, who made a great presentation. Unfortunately, the commission decided that ceded time did not matter unless a speaker managed to bank cards from at least ten others. That would give you three minutes speaking time. Must be some kind of new math.

After a little housekeeping the speakers started to do their thing. The first dozen or so speakers were politicians or their surrogates who wanted to get their name in the public record as being on the job. One of the lamest of those was a ding-bat city council member from my town of Encinitas. It was a little embarrassing.

Being a newbie who wanted to learn what this was all about, I made a point of trying to listen to just about every speaker. They ran the gamut from lame to impressive. Some were entertaining in their absurdity. Others were spot on. Few offered much in the way of new information but there were some killers that brought thunderous applause from the crowd.

There were several presentations that stuck out for me. Earl Warren, (the other Earl Warren) with a clenched jaw and barely controlled anger let the Commissioners know that the cat was out of the bag with regard to the illegal methods that were used by the BRTF and others during the MLPA process up to this point. He suggested that if they wanted to end up on the right side of the pending lawsuits that they may want to think hard about rendering any decisions that have been purchased by special interests. (I may have editorialized a bit on that one).

Similarly Bob Fletcher, a former DFG board member announced to everyone that he had successfully sued to have the records from all the closed door BRTF meeting documents made public. Those records are likely to be the smoking gun that may get this thing sent back to the drawing board.

Some dedicated teachers from a couple middle schools arranged to have their students bussed in to show that massive support the MLPA has among the next generation. I am not sure that this plan worked as expected. When the kids found out that the were expected to sit quietly and learn something, most slowly drifted away. One enterprising kid made up a sign expressing his love for Diana and held up behind the speakers so the camera could document his affection for posterity. I was sitting next to Joe Nguyen at the time. We asked around to see if anyone had a spare condom we could pass on to this young lover in case he got lucky later on.

One of the most bizarre and entertaining speakers was a group of school girls with dioramas depicting all the endangered sea horses and starfish that the MLPA would protect as it saved the corral reefs. One by one the read what was undoubtedly a class assignment touting the reasons that California's coral reefs needed to be protected. The room was mostly polite to these kids but even the DFG guys were laughing quietly. The girls did a great job but the teacher who put them up to this should be flogged. Note to the teacher... the next time you enlist your students to help protect the environment, learn a bit about the environment you want to protect first.

Another entertaining speaker was the Save the Seals lady who almost started crying when her video would not play properly. She then displayed the biggest Salas lure I have ever seen asking the audience if anyone knew what it was. A bunch of guys shouted out that it was their lost lure and that they wanted it back. She really seemed clueless as to the purpose of the iron. I had visions of her experimenting with the device for an unintended purpose while locked behind a bathroom door.

During the first three or four hours, speakers supporting our point of view were roundly applauded. If the presentations had been judged like a debate, our side was the clear winner. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that any of the commissioners were paying much attention.

At about 2:00, pizza, thanks to the Waterman's alliance, arrived. The crowd had thinned to half by then. I am sure that many of our guys had to get back to work. Those who stuck around until then seemed to drift away after their bellies were filled up. In the end, the crowd was mostly made up of the "Free the Gay Whales" crowd. For the last hour or so, the only message the Commissioners heard was theirs. Not that any of the Commissioners were actually listening.

So where does this leave us. I know I am a newbie when it comes to the political side of the MLPA fight but have a strong feeling that we are not going to lose this thing right now. We are not going to win either. My guess is that the courts will decide that what has gone on up to this point was illegal and that the results will be voided. The reset button will be pushed and we will start all over again.

This may buy us some time but it does not not mean that we will end up on the winning side. If we get a chance to reshape the MLPA I recommend that we push the regulation option rather than look at anything that involves absolute closures.

All in all today was a very educational experience for me. I now understand the frustration that those who put in their time over the last couple years feel.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 10-21-2010 at 08:20 AM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Very nice writeup!

I posted some pics and video on the Bloodydecks site for all to see! Thank you to all that showed up, participated in our protest and represented at the meeting! Great job!

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fi...ml#post2025292
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Gino

Bob, This is very well written.

Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Billy V

There were far more frustrating meetings throughout this tragedy.

-We are winding down at this point, but as you might have noticed today all the heavy hitters from this website, as well as Spearboard, Baytubers, and Bloody Decks still won't surrender.

They still show up no matter what the cost.
I want to say Thank You to all the guys and gals who have stayed the course.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
AquaticHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
If we get a chance to reshape the MLPA I recommend that we push the regulation option rather than look at anything that involves absolute closures.
Bob
Amen on that. No more agreeing to certain closure maps for me. I'm agains ALL maps!

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof...
AquaticHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Nice write up, you were definitely paying attention...

I'd like to add, when the woman that was in charge of Parks and Rec spoke, I liked how she brought up the possible tourist revenue to be lost by the closures and how some of them fell on their land (San Elijo, DP), and when asked by the commission if they were equipped to enforce, her response of having over 800 personnel.

It was quite obvious at this meeting who wanted to force closures down our throats. Bespectacled guy (forgot his name, far right side, patronizing idiot) seemed to be combative to every point of lost revenue, unfair process, and reactions to possible closures.

Even when Mr. Richards brought up the point of the closures seriously targeting areas where we fish the most, his comment...

"I knew this was going to be brought up so I prepared this chart."

What a crock of shit.

Where are your facts to back this up, under law, you must disclose them.
You are on the commission, this is supposed to be a fair and open process, just as in court proceedings, you are required to inform all parties involved beforehand. Where is your data to back up your claim?

Tell you what...I will make up my own chart showing you where I have caught the most fish, present it to you, for you to include in areas that are heavily overfished and should be protected.

I have caught no fish in all of LJ, Laguna, DP, and Malibu.

What I will do though is show you a chart of the coastline where I caught these fish and you will see that none of them were caught anywhere near LJ, Laguna, DP, or Malibu.

Let me know when you want to see my chart and we will compare it with your chart.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Yep, according to our 8 year old SAT expert, 50% of the fish we eat comes from those endangered coral reefs. Good summary Bob. I think you may have given 3 of the commissioners way too much benefit of the DOUBT though. Their rubber stamps were already fashioned long ago, and they are going to let the appeals process deal with the mess that they make.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
jbm

The fishing kids were very impressive. The teacher who brought those kids with the dioramas really should be fired. La Jolla Country Day seemed to have brought the whole school.

I found the meeting very informative. I didn't feel informed enough to speak on my own so I handed my card to the wonderful young lady from Bloodydecks. By the end of the meeting, I was starting to wish I had the opportunity to speak. I may head up to Santa Barbara in December.

The PSO, Bloodydecks, and Waterman's alliance people were all really great.

The thing that pissed me off the most was actually all the Laguna Beach people clamoring to keep all those stinky fishermen off "their" beaches. I will never spend a single dime in that city for the rest of my life.

Mike,
Nice speaking to you in the lobby. I hope your foot didn't give you too much trouble.

Jason
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
cabojohn
PROBATION

Clay scored a couple REAL enviro shirts from the other side today.

cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I forgot to mention one other significant observation. If anyone is hoping to save any part of Laguna Beach from MLPA closures, your only hope is for this thing to get tossed. I may not agree with the point of view of the good citizens of Laguna Beach who showed up at this meeting, but I have to admire their organization.

This Laguna Beach contingent was supremely well organized. They were well spoken and all expressed their absolute support for closing all consumptive ocean access to the territorial waters of this city. If anyone in the crowd had a differing opinion, I did not hear it. Sure, it stunk of elitism, but the united message coupled with the lack of any argument from the opposition left a lasting impression on me.

We could probably learn something from the approach that this group has taken to get their point across.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
The thing that pissed me off the most was actually all the Laguna Beach people clamoring to keep all those stinky fishermen off "their" beaches. I will never spend a single dime in that city for the rest of my life.
This crowd of snooty @%^% always manage to get my blood boiling. They should have been reminded that they all had the same thing to say. There motives were very transparent to all.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks for attending yesterday! Good seeing familiar, and new faces, we had more people even with their bussed in kids.

Next up Santa Barbara ~December 15 or 16th, I believe that will be D-Day! (Decision day)

Get your carpool ready, I think my supercrew will be filled... Will post a thread closer to the date with specifics, and carpool lists.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
FISHIONADO

Bob, thanks for attending and sharing your comments, wish I could have stayed until the end. It was a very busy day at work for me so I was on the phone or computer most of the time, but glad I could be there to represent. See you all in Santa Barbara!
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I forgot to mention one other significant observation. If anyone is hoping to save any part of Laguna Beach from MLPA closures, your only hope is for this thing to get tossed. I may not agree with the point of view of the good citizens of Laguna Beach who showed up at this meeting, but I have to admire their organization.

This Laguna Beach contingent was supremely well organized. They were well spoken and all expressed their absolute support for closing all consumptive ocean access to the territorial waters of this city. If anyone in the crowd had a differing opinion, I did not hear it. Sure, it stunk of elitism, but the united message coupled with the lack of any argument from the opposition left a lasting impression on me.

We could probably learn something from the approach that this group has taken to get their point across.

Bob

Yep, when they get the reserve passed for Laguna I will be ready and waiting when they do their annual sand replenishment that perpetuates a non-natural, man-made state. This would be banned by the MLPA as it would be in direct conflict with para 2853.b.(3)-(4) in the MLPA http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/revisedmp0108a.pdf

(3) To improve recreational, eductaional, and study opportunities provided by marine ecosystems that are subject to MINIMAL HUMAN DISTURBANCE, and to manage these uses in a manner consistent with protecting biodiversity
(4) To protect marine NATURAL HERITAGE, including protection of representative and unique marine life habitats in California waters for tehir intrinsic value.

Yep, I'll be watching, and waiting
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
maui jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
This crowd of snooty @%^% always manage to get my blood boiling. They should have been reminded that they all had the same thing to say. There motives were very transparent to all.
Oh the "Lagunites"......... that area in south OC are surely of group to them selves, I work in that area often, and it's the culture of the free spirted artists, to make everyday their day and save us from ourselves... They will do what's best for their bubble world...

Very Liberal town and thinking...................full of NIMBY's
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
JoeBeck

Bob,

Good write up and accurate. I think we were well represented by kayak and boat fishermen and I was happy to cede my time to clay.

Hunters Pa. It sounded like to me that they were trying to get the MPA reworded in the beginning of the meeting to allow sand replenishment. I actually had a good conversation about this with a lady representing Heel the Bay. She seemed opened to my thoughts because I told her this whole process angers me because they are targeting Recreational fishemen who have a small impact on the ocean environment and are people who care for it. That they are not targeting urban runoff, the damages of ocean front development that have created the need to replenish sand, dumping waist into our seas including cruise boats and poorly maintained city sewage lines..... on and on I went about other factors that effect the ocean and the fishing. I also let her know that this process has had a negative effect because it is dividing stewards of the environment into two groups having the fishermen dropping support for their organizations.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
jbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Thanks for attending yesterday! Good seeing familiar, and new faces, we had more people even with their bussed in kids.

Next up Santa Barbara ~December 15 or 16th, I believe that will be D-Day! (Decision day)

Get your carpool ready, I think my supercrew will be filled... Will post a thread closer to the date with specifics, and carpool lists.
I may take the train if the schedule works out. Then I can gaze upon all the soon to be off-limits fishing areas on the way up.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
Jzo

Great read Bob, thx for the post.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #19
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
I may take the train if the schedule works out. Then I can gaze upon all the soon to be off-limits fishing areas on the way up.
Interesting, more details, never done so... Cost? where does it leave from, because I am not looking forward to that drive!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
jbm

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner. Unfortunately, the earliest train arrives at 11:30am on that day. It's $32 each way.