Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
AquaticHunter

Meg and the MLPA

I just came back from a Meg Whitman rally near my home. I was a little disappointed that there was no question and answer session however she was shaking hands after her speech so when she got close I asked her about her stand on the MLPA.

She didn’t even have to answer me but her answer actually surprised me because she stopped shaking hands and signing stuff and addressed me directly to say that she is behind us 100%. She said she has been following it and knows exactly what we’re up against with the latest appointments, that she personally knows many commercial and recreational fishermen who are going to be affected and she is with us 100% and that we can count on her.

Up until that moment, I didn’t know who I was voting for. Now I do.

I wanted to pass this on to you all.

Now let’s pray she keeps her word if elected…

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof...
AquaticHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
robmandel

that she's even aware of the mlpa is a plus. but I put little to no trust in any politician of any stripe. just like we thought arnold was going to do, whatever the hell he was going to do, yeah, that worked out great.

maybe get her officially on record? dunno. pols are just that. she will read the green tea leaves for sure. and even if she's the next gov, what the hell can she do? her best bet would be to ignore it and focus on all the problems the next gov is going to face.

brown is the devil we know. that california could even consider him for governor again after the epic disaster he was before, tells you all you need to know about the state. I'd say it's an insane asylum, but that'd unfair to the mentally ill

good seeing you again though mike. gotta fish again soon.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Interesting...confused me when I saw the title, first thought that came to my mind was "I don't even want to know what that ...witch... is up to now", thinking it was gonna be about the other Meg, the evil Meg.

Hope she is on our side. Might have to send a letter to her for a positive response, I'm sure she would get alot of votes from fishers if she were on our side...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I would really like to see her put that in writing. I have been trying for months to get a response from her camp. So far just silence. As Rob says she and most other politicians are not very familiar with the concept of telling the truth so I would take whatever she says in an unrecorded conversation with an ocean of salt water.

On the other hand, it is interesting that she claims to actually know something about this issue.

Why don't you contact her office. Tell them about your conversation and say that you need something in the way of a policy position that you can share with others concerned about the MLPA closures. Maybe you will get lucky. I won't be holding my breath.

My guess is that this would be an issue that she and most other self serving politicians would want to stay vague about in case they had to placate a voter from the other side. I wonder what she would have said if you had been talking with her at a rally in Laguna Beach.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
hatchetman

I have read that Meg is an outdoors woman and a hunter, I have also heard that she feel that the current gun laws and bans are a good thing. I have not seen anything on here website that would indicate any knowledge or preferences one way or the other on the issues of the MLPA though I have not looked at here site in a few weeks.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Gino

she needs to put it in writing... and release it out to the press...

That small lead Jerry brown has will shrink quiet a bit. Youd be very suprised how many sportsman who are voting... The MLPA to them is mor eimportant than many of the other issues.

She needs to step her campaign game up
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
hatchetman

Just looked at Megs site and nothing about the MLPA but unless you plan to vote for MOONBEAM BROWN it may do some good to send an email http://www.megwhitman.com/contact.php I do not see how it could hurt.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Just the fact that she knows what some of the consequences of the MLPA are indicates something positive to me. I am reminded of one of her first commercials where she said " if it costs jobs we won't do it". We can only hope that, when push comes to shove, any politician will stick to their guns though.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
AquaticHunter

You are right, she should put it in writing. I wish I had it on video but it was sort of spontaneous.

What's really interesting is that I posted this same thing over on BD to get the word out and after about a dozen replies similar to those posted here, the thread was closed because "it was getting too partisan."

I thought that was weird and re-read the posts a couple of times looking for signs of something out of line until it finally jumped out at me.... Numerous Jerry Brown, or more accurate, anti-Meg Whitman ads paid for by unions on the site.

Is it possible that some in the fishing community would sell out our sport and our freedom for some advertising dollars?

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof...
AquaticHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
Gino

I wouldnt go so far to say that its selling out the sport.

But I will say, Bloodydecks is all about the money and nothing else...
Old 10-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

MEG SUPPORTS PROP 21

this is America.....it's ALWAYS about the money!

Which is why we'll have a hard time finding ANY politician to side with us.

Jerry and Meg will both bend us over so fast it's not even funny!! Saw an add in the paper the other day....MEG SUPPORTS PROP 21 !!!!!

Seriously, with all the talk of voting out incumbants, Meg vs. Jerry exc....just to vote in ANOTHER DEM. or REP?? r u F@$%ing kidding me? When are we gonna learn....it's not the DEM's or REP's screwing stuff up, it's the fact that we as voters empower the "two party system"....IMHO.

Incase you are not aware here are some other canidates for CA gov.:

American Independent - Chelene Nightingale
Libertarian - Dale Ogden
Green - Laura Wells
Peace and Freedom - Carlos Alvares
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Gino

peace and freedom party check out there website, good for a chuckle.

It isnt the 2 party system that is the problem. There is democratic countries who got the same issues we do and they have 10 parties...

Its acountability... thats the problem. If you flog a couple politicians from time to time,and you make lots of noise and anger. not to mention voting them out the next election.

Politicians will be less likely to pull your pants down when they make legislation, And they will be less likely to put there hands in your wallet.

The bigger problem is no one is educated when they vote. You really have to sit down and plug away at the props and the canidates to figure out what you think is best for you. Thats what voting is about... But people dont put the time in or they get turned off by "gridlock" or political Adds, and I dont blame them one bit. Politics is ugly stuff, always remeber that the capaign adds are only meant for stupid people or the people who dont want to put the work in figuring out the politicians backrounds.

But hey when they come for your wallet dont complain. If you dont vote or your not educated on the issues when you vote.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
hatchetman

Whitman will be in San Diego 10/30 get a group take a camera and make it all about the MLPA.

Meg Whitman
as she shares her vision for A New California.
Saturday, October 30th

Doors Open at 11:15 a.m.

Directed Electronic Inc.
1 Viper Way
Vista, CA 92081

Admission to this event may be
restricted at the discretion of
the property owner or
Meg Whitman for Governor 2010

Gubernatorial Candidate

MEG WHITMAN

Is coming to
SAN DIEGO
for a rally and wants to meet you!

To RSVP, please email
SanDiego@MegWhitman.com
or call (888) 632-4378

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

"Politics is ugly stuff, always remember that the campaign adds are only meant for stupid people or the people who don't want to put the work in figuring out the politicians backgrounds."

Well said! Gullible, stupid and lazy voters are one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in today. The candidates and folks writing the propositions count on the collective ignorance of the masses.

The same ad agencies who make you crave a Big Mac or get your kids hooked on sugar-packed breakfast cereals are plying their skills on behalf of the politicians this time of year. They are very good at what they do.

The only way we can fight back is to do the research and QUESTION EVERYTHING! Even then, well informed, intelligent people will often come to different conclusions or disagree on what is best.

I can live with that. Nobody gets it right all the time. We will probably get screwed anyway but let's not make it easy for them.

Bob
Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Gino

Quote:
The only way we can fight back is to do the research and QUESTION EVERYTHING! Even then, well informed, intelligent people will often come to different conclusions or disagree on what is best.
which is ever better!
People shouldn't be turned off by Politicians who hate each other. Or when congress is stuck on a bill(s). Everytime they write and pass legislation it comes out of your pocket in some way shape or form. MLPA is perfect example of this...

The more they fight, The more people disagree... the less it cost us in the long run, And the more freedom and opertunity you have for You and your family. Freedom is an individualist set of ideals.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #16
umoa
Junior

bloodydeck ads are supposed to be based on your computer's cookies...

it is depressing to see Brown, a "career" politician leading.
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
tony

I tend to think that Meg is the lesser of 2 evils but she of all people should know this - http://reason.com/blog/2010/10/26/reasontv-prop-21

At least she likes to fly fish.....
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
I tend to think that Meg is the lesser of 2 evils but she of all people should know this - http://reason.com/blog/2010/10/26/reasontv-prop-21

At least she likes to fly fish.....
I did not know about that. I bet I am not alone. What a great concept.

After watching the video, the point that got to me like a laser strike was that the parks run by private companies are incintified to deliver a quality product in order to bring in customers. The Government run parks have the exact opposite incentive. The more visitors they have, the farther they have to stretch their fixed funding. It makes sense to me.

I am aware that some of the big National Parks, Yosemite comes to mind, have been managed by for-profit companies for years. The results have not always been great. Do they do a better job than the Government? Probably yes but greed is always a big factor. Yosemite under the Curry Company was a disaster. The new guys are better but not by much.

Bob
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
Billy V

They both suck - but I think the lady might suck less.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

If you remember not too long ago, the costs involved for registering your vehicle were cut.

Now they are just looking for ways that we, as sympaPATHETIC voters, would agree to them raising the costs again. Clear as day...let's shroud it with something that would appease the GP...I know, it will go towards state parks, and the pathetic voters will get free entrance into the parks...

Yeah right...

Meanwhile, the next plan would be to raise entrance fees to non residents, then when the tourism to state parks declines, they will decide it'd best to re-charge entrance fees to make up for the difference.

What's even more pathetic is how obvious this bs is...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote