Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
sasha

MALIBU /TOPANGA

Any one is going out fishing this weekend in Malibu \ Topanga area??? And if you do and dont mind someone tagging along to learn a few moves..

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Ill probably go to Malibu on Saturday, but i have as much experience as you.

I am also experienced in Surf wrecks and yards sales and rigging up my line and be fish less for hours.

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-06-2011 at 01:10 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
sasha

We would make a great pair of fisher men if you ask me.. As long as you back me up with my fish stories i would do same for you .
Last time i spend all day long on the water. The only thing that got me back was the heavy fog where i could see more the 10' infront of the kayak..
Where are you planning to lanch and what time..
Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Anytime is fine by me.

Ill look at the surf and swell report on Friday night.

We could do morning and or afternoon.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
sasha

I dont mind morning or after noon as long as i get out on the water.. SO you name time and place. As i realy dont know many places to lanch. The more time we spend out there the better fisherman we would be. If we go out there in the morning and the fish bites i dont mind staying till late.. One of the pleassure of being a single guy lol..

Sasha
Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
wiredantz

This is the report for tommorrow.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 59. North wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west.

Swell

3.5ft @ 17secs
Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

Quote:
This is the report for tommorrow.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 59. North wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west.

Swell

3.5ft @ 17secs
hey you guys watch the swell there this weekend it may be tricky, they had small craft warning yesterday, the area is way fishy, but L&L could be yard sale material and I know how Frank loves a good yard sale, if I was not working I would love to join you, your in my neck of the woods now,
let me know how it turns out, I may only get out in the surf on sunday
good luck, be careful....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
wiredantz

Launching at Malibu Pier at 8am! incase anyone wanted to join
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
sasha

just got down loading my van. I just cant figure out what i forgot. Well i guess i would remember when im out on the water. Going to let Frank go first so if there is a yard sale i get first pick at what washes out....

Sasha
Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
WahooUSMA

Sasha - Are you Tunajagar formally Toad Tamer from BD?

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
wiredantz

OK !!! don't believe anything Sasha tell you about this trip...
Old 04-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
sasha

So i meet Frank and he is thinking about lanching on the surfers side of the pier.. Waves are as high as a big foot if there was one... Frank says no big deal i can do it with my eyes closed. well after trying to explain to him that im scared to out on this side he agrees to go on the other side. So here we are getting ready to lanch. Frank gives me an advice, What ever you do dont stop and paddle as hard as you can. We pull the kayaks out on the water i wait for some open space and go for it. break thru one wave just to have it push me back so i paddle even harder. Here comes the next one i go as fast as i can which feel like standing in one place. Put more energy into it. Now i go as a bat out of hell.. break right thru another wave with the water over my head. Dont stop keep going. When i got to the end of the pier i look back and there is no Frank... look again and there is something blue on shore with something swiming next to it. Turn the kayak around to watch Frank walk out of the water. dripping water and looks like a wet cat. My dad helps him out with something and our man is right back into it... BOOOOOMMMMMMM a wave hits Frank and he is back on shore looking like a poodle that just got out of the washing machine.. again him and dad doing something but it takes long.. But hey you never leave anyone behind right........... so i wait.. Frank is DA MAN he is right back at it nothing can slow him down he is DA MAN.....
He goes in and BOOOOOOMMMMM CRUSHHHHHHHHH he is back on shore looking like a Gorilla that fell off a tree into the swamp...... There is not stoping FRANK he is back at it again... In no time what so ever he out of the surf and next to me... Well im sure he meant to do it so i know what not to do.... Now i follow Frank to his secret spot.. waves pick up and im scared again but Frank says not to worry he would show me proper landing on the way back. Hey im a new at kayaking so i hope you understand how scared im. we done some fishing and out of no where i land what i think must be a about 40lb butt.. I want to keep it realy bad but Frank says it would spoil by the time we get back and he is sure i would get a bigger one. I follow our man FRANK... I catch another one Frank offers to keep it for me on the way back so i dont lose it.
before landing my man Frank says he would show me how not to land in the surf. I asked him that he dont need to do that. He says not to worry is know what hes doing as he is good at it.. SO here goes our man into the surf. I watch him ride the wave leaning into it and boooommmmm no frank......................... there is a blue kayak 10sec later there is frank.. walking out of the ocean like the swamp monster. Well now that i know what im not suppsed to do. i just ride the wave in and lucky me im totaly dry when i land... I must say thanks to Frank for showing me every move out there that i should not be doing... Im only upset that he lost my fish it was a huge butt... Need to get a few more lesson from Frank as he is the best teacher out there..

Sasha
Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
StinkyMatt

That is one funny No Fish report! As I was reading this, I was actually cheering for Frank.

Hey Frank, I feel for you man. Come down to LJ in the morning and make up for it!

Sasha, with a teacher like that you will be an expert in no time.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Way to go on the halibut Sasha. And Frank - you are DA MAN! I'm in line for the next lesson

Lesson Plans:

1) Speed Paddling
2) Taking Care of Your Catch
3) Surf Launch and Landing

Seriously - glad you both made it back in and out. Much respect...

Last edited by roby; 04-09-2011 at 05:48 PM.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
sasha

Hey Wahoousma.. Im not that Sasha but im a better Sasha..
I got to say it was a good day with good laughs. We must have done 4-5 miles over all. I got sea sick and when ever i moved i didnt feel so bad.
Got some idea to explore to protect the rods when going out or back in. When ever i spend some time on the water i learn more about what i like or dont like. A day well spend with some good company just dont do what Frank do lol...
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
AquaticHunter

I laugh cause I've been there. Launched at Dume today like an expert. Punched right through the waves like I was meant to do this with a packed beach watching me probably waiting for me to bail. I dissapointed them.

Fished deep (450') and with the new 2 pound sinker, caught 6 rockfish in less than 30 minutes. The current was wicked though and got tired of paddling hard to stay in one spot so I headed back. I was going to fish shallow near the reef but the current was too strong. It looked like a river in the shallow areas.

Tied everything down for the landing and went for it after letting the 4th wave go under me. O SH*T there's a 5th! I paddle for my life but it catches me and I'm sideways and now I'm swimming in 6' of water. Got the kayak turned upright and swim/push it to shore. Funny part was even though there were tons of people watching me flounder in the water, no one helped as I approached the shore. 20' from the shoreline the bow of my kayak was nearly on dry sand but I still was in too deep of water to stand. They just stood there watching me. Whatever. I didn't need the help. Just seemed strange. Usually people want to help or at least want to see if you caught anything..

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof...
AquaticHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
theluckypig

Quote:
OK !!! don't believe anything Sasha tell you about this trip...
ok Frank, it's up to you to set the story straight... (i too cheered for you, been there...)
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
wiredantz

ROFL. I just finished reading what Sasha wrote and let me know tell you it was so funny reading his interpretation. Most of his story was true except for his fish and i wish the the getting wet part was not true but it was true.

Okay so let clarify his story:

It was a beautiful morning and the wave were breaking high all around Malibu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
So i meet Frank and he is thinking about lanching on the surfers side of the pier. Waves are as high as a big foot if there was one... Frank says no big deal i can do it with my eyes closed. well after trying to explain to him that im scared to out on this side he agrees to go on the other side.
Sasha explained to me that you are only suppose to launch on the E side of the pier, so i dragged the kayak in the water to the other side of the pier while getting beaten up by the big waves.

Quote:
So here we are getting ready to lanch. Frank gives me an advice, What ever you do dont stop and paddle as hard as you can. We pull the kayaks out on the water i wait for some open space and go for it. break thru one wave just to have it push me back so i paddle even harder. Here comes the next one i go as fast as i can which feel like standing in one place. Put more energy into it. Now i go as a bat out of hell.. break right thru another wave with the water over my head. Dont stop keep going. When i got to the end of the pier i look back and there is no Frank... look again and there is something blue on shore with something swiming next to it. Turn the kayak around to watch Frank walk out of the water. dripping water and looks like a wet cat. My dad helps him out with something and our man is right back into it... BOOOOOMMMMMMM a wave hits Frank and he is back on shore looking like a poodle that just got out of the washing machine.. again him and dad doing something but it takes long.. But hey you never leave anyone behind right........... so i wait.. Frank is DA MAN he is right back at it nothing can slow him down he is DA MAN.....
He goes in and BOOOOOOMMMMM CRUSHHHHHHHHH he is back on shore looking like a Gorilla that fell off a tree into the swamp...... There is not stoping FRANK he is back at it again... In no time what so ever he out of the surf and next to me... Well im sure he meant to do it so i know what not to do....
OK so this is what happened. oh and btw whoever said that MALIBU Pier IS AN EASY LAUNCH!!!! THEY MUST OF BEEN SMOKING SOMETHING (the storm messed up the ocean today i said to myself... This morning the waves were crashing way over our heads. So me and Sasha waited for a break in the waves.... I tell Sasha to take off in sunglasses and store them inside before he looses them like i did in la jolla. SO we wait finally
THERE are no waves....

Sasha tells me Frank you go first, I tell Sasha its now or never. So we both pull our kayaks out and I tell Sasha paddle as hard as you can and don't look back. So Sasha takes off like a mad man trying to win the marathon, then i jump on my kayak and start to paddle. I see Sasha make it through one wave.... And i see the wave getting bigger and bigger as i am paddling and paddling.....then i see the wave crash about 2 feet in front of my bow and i said that it.. its all over.... the wave takes me back to shore without my kayak.

I look up and i see Sasha navigating the waves like a mouse in a maze and makes it safely to the water.

I can't believe the ocean spit me out.
Because I am an expert last week in yardsales i was prepared and did not loose anything. Everything was tied down and secured with ropes and bungees. My fish ID picture i had printed scatter around the beach and Sasha dad helped me pick them up along with my squid package that i bought at food 4 less. Thanks Sasha Dad.

So here i go again, now i am mad, upset and frustrated. Fine I said... I must go fish so i wait for the waves to stop...

Here i go I launch to what was to be a futile attempt. (I guess the ocean did not want me kayaking today)

I make it past a small wave... I paddle hard i make it past the second..i keep paddling... then i see another huge wave building up in front of my bow.... this wave likes was a lot higher then the other one way over my head. and i keep paddling harder and harder. The wave break right in front of me... I keep paddling but the wave was to powerful and i couldn't paddle forward. CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kayak tumbles and i fly out like a blue whale needing air. I am soaked and drenched and I was determined to go kayaking today!!

So i get back up and spit sand out of my mouth and there is Sasha dad who must be thinking to himself. (this is the funniest day of my life)

Sasha dad once again helps me pick up my fish id cards and squid and my tangled rods. and BAM my FISHING FLUSH MOUNT POPPED OFF!!!!!

I SHOULD OF LISTENED TO THAT YOU TUBE VIDEO!!!! (to store your rods on the side and not on the rod holders because you might damage your yak)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to punch myself now.

SO now i am frustrated/sad/upset and want to shed a tear ( i think i did) I look up and Sasha having a good time wondering why I am taking so long. I try to fix the flush mount but there was no way of that flush mount going back in. SO sasha dad tells me you better put it inside before you lose it.

So now i know is not safe going with a huge hole where the flush mount use to go on the rear end of the x-factor, but i don't want to waste the only Saturday i have not fishing. So i dig inside my kayak and i have some walmart pool noodle which just happens to be the exact same size as the huge hole i have now.

Stick it in and now i am back in business. tie and lean all my rods to the side of the kayak which i should of done in the first place.

I look around no waves.... I finally break free and meet Sasha. I get out to where sasha is and grab my hand pump and pump the water i got from the waves crashing on me.

Quote:
Now i follow Frank to his secret spot.. waves pick up and im scared again but Frank says not to worry he would show me proper landing on the way back. Hey im a new at kayaking so i hope you understand how scared im. we done some fishing and out of no where i land what i think must be a about 40lb butt.. I want to keep it realy bad but Frank says it would spoil by the time we get back and he is sure i would get a bigger one. I follow our man FRANK... I catch another one Frank offers to keep it for me on the way back so i dont lose it.
Sasha was sea sick at this point and he must of been delirious because i did not see any Halibut and my fishfinder was not metering any fish and water was like 51 degrees. I did see a huge piece of Kelp he pulled up from his line, and he was playing tug of war for good long while. I look at my map and we try out different reefs coordinates but nothing was biting. We fished the kelp but the waves were crashing a few feet after them and the current was WICKED, it was tossing us all around A small craft advisory was going to start at 2pm so we headed back in by 1pm.

Quote:
before landing my man Frank says he would show me how not to land in the surf. I asked him that he dont need to do that. He says not to worry is know what hes doing as he is good at it.. SO here goes our man into the surf. I watch him ride the wave leaning into it and boooommmmm no frank......................... there is a blue kayak 10sec later there is frank.. walking out of the ocean like the swamp monster. Well now that i know what im not suppsed to do. i just ride the wave in and lucky me im totaly dry when i land... I must say thanks to Frank for showing me every move out there that i should not be doing... Im only upset that he lost my fish it was a huge butt... Need to get a few more lesson from Frank as he is the best teacher out there..

SO after being fish less for hours, and encountering no birds,and the currents picking up we decide to go back in. The guy at the malibu pier shout to us as we are paddling back in and ask us if we caught anything. I tell them ( but before i can answer Sasha tells him he caught a big one but let him go) The guy at pier tells him NEXT time bring it. ( i never saw his big fish)

So Sasha tells me ok frank you first. Once again we wait for the current to die down because there breaking at almost 4-5 feet. I wait for the break in the waves I paddle i paddle some more i keeping paddling looking over my shoulder and i see the wave building. SO i remember what the you tube video said lean to the wave on your favorite side all the way and don't be afraid.

I turn my yak to my preferred leaning spot and stick out my paddle and lean on it. the wave crash right behind me. I am riding the wave. I am doing it. I feel good. ...( like that song goes) I am surfing my kayak. which feels like a car speeding out of a tunnel with a huge explosion right behind the car.

but then i feel i am loosing my balance to the side i am leaning on, and i forget which way my paddle is turned. SO i pushed on my paddle and fall right in the water but my kayak makes it safely to the sand(so much for my low brace). I get up spit the sand out of my mouth and watch Sasha paddle his kayak in. Sasha sees a huge wave behind him and he jumps out of his kayak what he thought was 2 feet in water and now he was chest high in water. I catch his kayak on the beach and drag it to the sand. And Sasha is right behind his yak.

Sasha, i had lots of fun. I called up Andy and i told him i broke my kayak. Andy tells me Again... and i said yes. So i bring it to him he fixes it and I AM BACK in business.

I think ill stick for boat launching for while before i decide to go surfing again. (well at least maybe until the time after next)

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-10-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
wiredantz

But it is sure more funnier hearing it from another point of view. LOL

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
yakrider

that's a great story...
I was about 1 mile east of yous guys and I can vouch for the size of the waves...BIG!
I almost pooped standing on the beach...
questioning my sanity, but the hunger for a tugger was too powerful...
I stood on the beach for 20 minutes or more, timing the sets...
and then finally, a minute lul, I made it out!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote