Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
deepdvr

There's always freshwater

Decided to play hooky on Friday and took the yak out to Miramar in search of some tailwalkers. I got to the lake around 9:30 and it was coming down hard, but I timed it pretty well and only dealt with some light rain for the first 30 minutes. The lake was predictably quiet. I wanted to keep it sporting so I avoided powerbait and crawlers. I rigged up one rod with a gold panther martin spinner and the other with a red/gold thomas buoyant spoon. I would have used minijigs, but when the water is stained I don't think they work very well.

Got a quick limit in a little under 2 hours and I farmed alot of fish. Oddly enough, all the fish I landed came off the spinner when I was slow trolling it 'La Jolla' style. I had hits and a few become unbuttoned while fan casting but the slow-troll was the way to go. These are fun fish on ultra-light tackle. They are very acrobatic and will fight all the way in. Biggest one was a little over 3 pounds. It was very skinny and actually looked spawned out or starved. I've caught others that were the same size and they weighed 4 or 5 pounds. I called it quits around noon. Got some more lobster bait now. Everytime I've tried to eat these stocked fish...I've been sorry I tried.

deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

Nice!!! i have a couple questions for ya
No catch and release allowed? i wont eat that fish and i dont hoop
Ca License is all you need?
did you have to buy a boat permit?
My fishing buddy has been wanting to get on some fresh water.
Thanks
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
deepdvr

Hey Mike,

You need the fishing license and a daily permit $8 and yak launch $2.

Since they are stocked fish, no C&R is allowed. Best way to get around that is to use a barbless hook and amazingly they always seem to fall off right at the yak. Or, you can easily find someone to take the fish off your hands.

You can probably find some bass if you dropshot deep, 25-40'. I was going after the low hanging fruit.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

I'd like to try a little of everything as i have not done mush freshwater fishing in my life.

10$ isnt bad for some fun.
another question- Can i bring a cooler of beer on the yak?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
deepdvr

Hell yeah! City lakes are mellow. Have your bait tank filled up with ice and brews. Or do it white trash style and have it hanging over the side on a leash.

If you have some mac or bonito bring that and you can get some nice cats out of that lake.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

I'm gonna head out there next free day I get! Thanks for the info.
Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
fishes

I've got a about....zero excuses to not get out there, I mean, the lake is seriously 2 miles from my house and 1/2 mile from my work. Maybe next week...

Thanks for the report!
fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
fishinkid2010

Nice stringer you put together. Kastmasters and Panther Martins always produce for me!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
JoeBeck

Nice report and thanks for sharing. I was eager to get out on the water as well during all these storms. Figured with possible rain Saturday and the ocean still being nice and stirred up that we'd go to miramar lake as well. Been awhile since I fished one of the local lakes. Very mellow. I don't have kids but it would be a good place to take them to fish.

We arrived at Lake Miramar at 7:00am and fished until about 11:30am. Good day 8 fish in the cooler, if we wanted to stay out longer I'm pretty sure we would have got our limits. Rained a little in the morning but not that bad, nice day on the water and good to see the lake full again. Been a long time since I've seen the water level that high. Couple of the trout were pretty large.

Filleted a few of the trout, added a little garlic, fresh ginger, 2 Serrano's, salt, pepper, sesame and olive oil, topped with soy sauce and lemon. Then pan fried in the cast iron skillet made for a perfect Asian fish dish to go with our Sushi dinner

JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
NextBite

awesome report
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
FARRIER

I lived a quarter mile from miramar for 15plus years of fishing and this time of year is a lot of fun for those stubborn lunker bass. a texas rigged straight or paddle tail worm 10-14 inches on a slooooooooowww retrieve is a really good bet. pink and purple 4-1/2 inch color variations are excellent on the drop shot. and if you search hard enough there is some hidden structure placed by someone throughout the lake. enjoy...
FARRIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
blitzburgh

Great report!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
wade

Nice Rainbows!
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
rogersmith

Joe, saw your Texas fishing article in Kayak Fisherman Magazine...nice work. I am still going to have your wife talk to my wife and convince her kayak fishing is a blast!
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote