Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
WestFork

What rod for a Torium 20?

I'm a rock hopper who's upgrading to kayak fishing. Have some reels but the rods are generally a couple of yards too long. :-( I'm trying to figure out how to know what might be a good rod for a given reel, in this case a Torium 20. I'm thinking YT, tuna, bass live bait or jig. Any suggestions on where to start to wrap my head around this problem is appreciated.
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Will you be fishing with mono, or with braided line?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Jizzling

A buddy of mine has a torium (not sure if its the 20 but I'm pretty sure it is) paired with a Phenix Abyss. I'll post the link. I believe its a 8" heavy
https://www.phenixrods.com/products/saltwater/abyss-2/
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
WestFork

Braid. Good question. Thanks!

"Will you be fishing with mono, or with braided line?"
Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Warmurphy
Junior

I went with a Seeker 870-7' for my torium14 for live bait, and lighter jigs/flatfalls.

Running 50lb braid to 8' of 20-40lb flouro.

Working great for 5/8-1oz hookup baits.

Casts like a dream.

Last edited by Warmurphy; 03-31-2017 at 01:31 PM. Reason: more info
Warmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
WestFork

After studying the catalog at the link what you write makes sense. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzling View Post
A buddy of mine has a torium (not sure if its the 20 but I'm pretty sure it is) paired with a Phenix Abyss. I'll post the link. I believe its a 8" heavy
https://www.phenixrods.com/products/saltwater/abyss-2/
Old 03-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
WestFork

Thanks! Any comment on length? I am wondering about 6' versus 7 or 8, what to consider in casting from a kayak seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmurphy View Post
I went with a Seeker 870-7' for my torium14 for live bait, and lighter jigs/flatfalls.

Running 50lb braid to 8' of 20-40lb flouro.

Working great for 5/8-1oz hookup baits.

Casts like a dream.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
TJones

I upgraded my wholes arsenal this year with show prices

I got classic calstar 870 , Phoenix , and also Shimano terez. All are similar in weight category. What's unique about the terez is how parabolic it is. This is a good characteristic for fly lining because the rod will set hook, as opposed to the reels drag setting hook when you throw the reel in gear after your initial strike. It will also absorb head shakes a lot better, greatly reducing the chance of pulling the hook. This being the case, it's supposed to be a good sea bass rod. I have not got my toad yet, but I've slayed a couple of winter grades with relative ease. As far as length , my preferences are 7' or 8'. I also got 8'6" for throwing jigs. 9' and larger seem awkward for me on kayak. This might not be the case on a Hobie PA.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:08 AM   #9
Sheephead

I love my Seeker clasic series 6 1/2' 20 (30) 50 or seeker classic series 7' 20 (30) 40 for a squishier rod tip. Calstar 870c 15-40 is my 2nd favorite. I wouldn't buy a torium if that's what your intending, the new models suck!! The drags settings change at it's own will.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #10
Warmurphy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestFork View Post
Thanks! Any comment on length? I am wondering about 6' versus 7 or 8, what to consider in casting from a kayak seat.
The 7' is great for my cuda 14. I can swing the line around the the kayak with ease. Right size to pull in and out of the truck and easier to store at home too.

7' is about right for casting from a kayak I feel. I have used longer rods and they feel awkward. Shorter and your casting distance goes down a fair bit. Though if you are just dropping jigs that isn't an issue.

Also good if you want to go out on the day boats.

I think about all the other things you have to deal with when you have long rods along with just their intended use. The more functions you can get from a given setup on a kayak the better off in my book.
Warmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
WestFork

You make good arguments for that length. As to the last sentence, AMEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmurphy View Post
The 7' is great for my cuda 14....The more functions you can get from a given setup on a kayak the better off in my book.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #12
WestFork

Re new Torium: that would be frustrating! Mine is far from new. :-)
I'm seeing a pattern with the suggestions from you and others that is helping this make a lot more sense. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheephead View Post
I love my Seeker clasic series 6 1/2' 20 (30) 50 or seeker classic series 7' 20 (30) 40 for a squishier rod tip. Calstar 870c 15-40 is my 2nd favorite. I wouldn't buy a torium if that's what your intending, the new models suck!! The drags settings change at it's own will.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
WestFork

Can you be more specific about which Phenix, Terez? All three manufacturers make quality rods but there's a lot in the different blanks. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I got classic Calstar 870 , Phenix , and also Shimano Terez. All are similar in weight category. What's unique about the terez is how parabolic it is....As far as length , my preferences are 7' or 8'. I also got 8'6" for throwing jigs. 9' and larger seem awkward for me on kayak.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #14
2-Stix

If your hard on gear...Ugly Stick...medium on gear Graftech...want the cherry goods...Calstar. Depends on your budget...but if your running that reel...you like nice action. Keep that puppy safe laughing and landing. I fish 7-8' rods...mostly 20-40 or 20-50 set ups. Braid with Floro leaders.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #15
WestFork

Nice comments. Thanks! I TRY not to be that hard on gear, LOL. I originally asked the question because I was wondering about balancing the weight/size of the reel to the rod. You can tell things like quality of parts--butt, grip, reel seat, guides, blank--from reading, and craftsmanship shows up in price. Feel, though, to me is a hands-on experience issue, considering, of course, how the set up will be used. So many possibilities... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
If your hard on gear...Ugly Stick...medium on gear Graftech...want the cherry goods...Calstar. Depends on your budget...but if your running that reel...you like nice action. Keep that puppy safe laughing and landing. I fish 7-8' rods...mostly 20-40 or 20-50 set ups. Braid with Floro leaders.