Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
TXyakker
Junior

Possible world record YT...

I was over on the 2cool forum browsing around when i saw this same title. Opened up the report and started reading. Turns out some guys were down around Baja diving and one of them speared a monster yellow. Here's the link,

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=252504

And for the good part of that link:
The yellow weighed in on the Fathomiers certified scale at 87.6 lbs, with a length of 64.5" and a girth of 32.5". The bigger yellows were consistently deeper near the bottom, and we speared some at over 100ft. It wasnt easy diving, with the possiblity of white sharks in the area, but it paid off. Mark Healey shot a nice 130 lb Yellow Fin Tuna that ran into the shallows 300yds away. Big sucka!!

While i might just be passing along info, i know you guys loves the yellows and since this was posted on a Texas forum i thought i'd pass it along for those who havent seen it already!

TXyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
T Bone

WOW! HOG YT!!!

This YT went 84.4# and is #4 in the standings.I was 10'down the rail from the guy when he caught it.There were only 4 of us still fishing(It was after midnight)and most people got tired of the wide open YT in the 20-35# range they were super extra stupid that night.I caught my PB pushing 40 but there were 3 over 60 that night.I didnt sleep till 4 and was up again at 6:30 for wide open 40-80#YFT with wahoo thrown in(thats why most people slept through the killer YT bite)My arms were so sore it was great!I love YT!

If the above YT had shoulders like the one Moyer caught it would be over 100# easily.The fork length of this fish was longer than Phifer's 92.1#er.It looks enemic not healthy like the spearos fish.Equally amazing as the fish is the fact they were diving with whitey...
Attached Images

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
NextBite

yep they do get monster yellows in Mexico

but thats a GIANT love to caught that at La Jolla
Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
lamb

NICE!!!

They have pretty cool video... Pain in the arse to get to/load, at least on my Win7.

Cool free diving footage.
Click Eisodes,
click on Episode 10, World Records

http://www.insea.tv/INSEA.tv/Home.html
Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
j mo

That guy (Brandon) is a lunatic. I know at least one free diver has been taken by a great white in that same area.... He lost a borrowed Wong on that trip because a GW bit through his bouy line.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/sp...ellowtail.html
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
-scallywag-
Banned

Mark's not much of a slouch either...I've seen sick videos of that guy PADDLING into huge, un-makeble surf...and make it (sometimes)...ohh yeh and the videos of them riding the great whites. Puttin a kink in that fine line between crazy and stupid.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Quilted Germ

T-bone, where abouts did you get on a crazy YT/YFT bite like that? That sounded like an incredible time. What boat was in on? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
DENNYh

Im wondering the same T-bones?? How many days was this trip and what month??
DENNYh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
T Bone

It was a 7 day limited load trip to Alijos Rocks that went late august 2006 on the Red Rooster 3.It was a good year for me and with the real estate boom going I did a lot of side work to pay for the $2400 trip.I went with my Dad(Hawk) on his suggestion because I wanted to do a 5 day to Guadalupe(Glad I didnt)There are only a few boats that go that far south at that time of year since its still hurricane season(Polaris supreme 9day and Royal polaris 8 day)We went straight to the rocks at 14kts and fished there for 3 straight days.I brought a case of monster drinks and probably only slept 8hrs in those 3 days.I was a madman with more railtime than anybody.It is an amazing place to fish.These rock pinnacles rise from 12000 ft to about 150' above the surface,its also known as Neptunes castle.It is 500 miles south of SD and 160miles off the mainland.The fishing was insane.I caught my first Wahoo followed by another and lost a few.These are insane fish to catch their speed is unbelievable.I also got a limit of YFT and YT and released tons of yellows.My arms were sore.I also got a dorado and a huge sheephead.Lost a huge tuna to sharks(probably over 100#)Jackpot tuna was 120# but I didnt get one over 80#.Anyways it was awesome.We fished Natividad and Cedros on the way home for more yellows so the guys that slept at alijos got their limits too but on a much smaller grade.

You cant talk about record YT without talking about Alijos.All the record YT are from there.The Australian and New zealand YT are slightly different genetically and Zane Grey still held the record at 111# as far as I knew.Its like an atlantic bluefin to our bluefin sort of thing just not on the same scale.Anyways that spearos YT is a toad.

I still seek my first Kayak YT...
Attached Images

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10

Last edited by T Bone; 01-13-2010 at 09:00 PM.
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote