Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
-scallywag-
Banned

LJ - 01/25

I checked the launch sat afternoon to see if fishing sunday was a possibilty, althought the waves where firing everywhere else, the launch was pretty mellow. The problem was the normal launch access is completely blocked by kelp and sand piles so you can't get by even with wheels. I unloaded at the bathrooms then wheeled down the beach to the launch area.

The wind was offshore and 42* in the morning, when I launched it water felt like a warm bath (not a good sign). Water temp never went below 58* all day, futher outside i was getting steady 60*, water was sleight green 5' vis and good current.

Everything seemed about the same as before the storms, lotsa bait, dolphins and whales. Found a huge load of bait holding around deep structure, I worked the area for a couple hours, metering good marks but couldn't make it happen. The wind picked up onshore and i lost my favorite iron (and confidence in that area) to a shark so i started to drift some structured areas near the kelp. I got lotsa action on carolina rigged bait in 80-90ft of water where the bass where on the chew, i got a nice sandie (5-6lbs released) and a smaller calico. They chewed up the rest of my bait and I called it a day. A nice quite day on the water with alot more action than i expected after the storms. I was bummed to see the water temps so high after a major wind swell event, but i guess thats el nino. At least it looks like, according to tempbreak, some upwelling occured at the cliffs (point loma) this weekend.Hopefully you guys can get out and fish before the next system comes through.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
j mo

View from above

We were in the area on Sunday, looked quiet out there.

Bluebird of a day .....
Attached Images

j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Isn't it nice that we live in an area where reconnaissance photos of the fishing grounds can look like the postcards that tourists might buy.

Nice photos Josh.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
TCS

I hauled my boat up and over the pile of kelp & down the beach at about 8:30. Small surf at the launch, no biggy. Had a nice light offshore tailwind for the paddle out. Beautiful day out there. I didn't catch anything, but what the hell, still better than working.

Speaking of work, I found a job and will soon be fishing a lot less. At least I'll be able to keep my house, feed the kids, shoes for the wife, etc.

Sounds like there's another storm coming. Maybe next week...
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
grant
Junior

huh?

I'm not sure 60 degree water right now is a bad thing,some years it's 55 some years it 60 this time of year 2-3 degrees one way or another will not ruin the season only make it come on faster and last longer in my experience Just my 2 cents at least you got out there...
grant is offline   Reply With Quote