Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Mr GreenJeans

Dana Point Report - 1-21-07

I set aside yesterday to take care of the Honey-Do list, so today was for fishing. Since I was tired of getting skunked at LJ, decided to try for some bass at Dana Point. Arrived in gray light to find it was 42 degrees with a brisk offshore breeze. Burr! Launched by the short jetty at dawn into not even ankle slappers. The water was 57 degrees with 10-15 feet of visibility and a modest downhill current. With the cold water, I was expecting a slow fishing kind of day. That's pretty much how it turned out.

Headed south and fished some of my regular spots. Around 8:00 the wind died, the water flattened out, and things got down right pleasant. Over the next couple of hours I got two sandies at about 14" on a swimbait. Got one tiny calico on a Frenzy, who was hardly bigger than the bait. I give him credit for thinking big. Also caught a nice 13" sculpin on a dead-sticked Gulp grub. I was about to keep him when I remembered that sculpin are out of season now. Oh well.

Around 11:00 the wind started to pick up, so I trolled back to the jetty. By the time I got off the water at 12:00 I was glad to be out of the wind.

All fish were caught at the bottom of the water column. If it drops another degree or two, the bass bite may shut down completely. I guess then I'll go back to fishing LJ.

David
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

sculpin are back in season as of a few days ago
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Dave, thanks for the report. Love to see you considering LJ as a viable option nowadays .