Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Daltontribe
Surf Launch Roll Tester

Sabiki Rigs

I've been told that alot of kayakers make bait with a sabiki rig. Would someone take a pick of their rod and reel set up that they use for this. And what size lures are on it.

Daniel
Daltontribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Chief Gunner

Most sabiki's come with 5-6 hooks. I prefer the no.6 size becuse the smaller hooks make it tough to get out when the Mac's swallow them down to their asses (and it kills them quicker from the damage they cause).

Most of the time the No. 6's will lip hook them so they don't get too mangled and tend to live longer in the bait tank... and with only 2 teasers it's not as prone to snag up.

I cut them down so there is only two of them on the line & tie the top (mainline end) to a small swivel and I then I attatch them to a mackeral pattern (blue or green) Krocodile (#4) to the bottom end of it like this (not the best pic but you should get the idea)

Making bait is very easy, I use a 7' Ugly stick "Intercoastal'bait casting rod with a Shimano Caenan low profile reel ,spooled with 12lb test. (Also great set up for throwing plastics in the kelp holes for nailing the Calico's when the surface bite is on).

On the edge of the Kelp at LJ you don't even need to cast, just drop it over the side count to 10 and you'll get 2-3 with almost every drop.

Oh and if you get floaters in the Livewell... don't toss them, cut them up and chunk them and put it in a plastic container. When you have a good amount dump it over the side and situate yourself over the cloud and drift with it. I have done that and had YT and slime sticks breezing around my yak (created my own boils)

the set up is also very deadly on the Mac's on the slow troll. I've even caught nice Calico's and slime sticks on the same rig.

You can get a Sabiki specific rod for like $60 but then again if you just keep it simple you'll have more $ for tackle.
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
tasteslikechikn54

I built mine out of PVC pipe and slapped an old spinning reel I had... They're very easy to make and def. Worth the 15 dollar investment. I tried using a regular rod and the tangles pissed me off... With the sabiki rig that I built, I don't worry about tangles anymore, but it takes a rod holder that would otherwise be occupied with another rod... It literally took me 20 minutes to build... You could find some videos by youtubing "sabiki rig"... Hope that helps. Good luck.
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
taggermike

You can get a sabiki rod that lets the whole rig slide down in to the rod. I don't like to tie up a rod holder all day so I just use the rod I will be fishing bait with. Make the bait and the swap the sabiki with a hook. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
asystole

Here's a decent video on how to make one for a couple bucks.

How to make sabiki rig
asystole is offline   Reply With Quote