Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
ocurtis

LJ 7/27

Sorry for the late report. I was out on the new red Hobie outback. great day, and I am hoping for some help! I got away from all the crazy boaters. got into a perfect area... Dophins hunting and bait started jumping on the surface so I threw a sabiki and got a huge Sardine. I pinned it on, and started slow trolling. I got hit HARD, ran for 5 seconds and it let go. I ended up reeling in a dead, bloody bait! the 2 Yakers next to me both hooked up solid. broke my heart.

So here is my question; I had my reel on free spool with the clicker on so there would be some resistance. in hindsite I should have fly lined him since it was such a fishy area and I knew i was in the right spot. But for slow trolling, what did I do wrong???

I ended up with three nice Calicos for tacos
ocurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
taggermike

I don't think you did any thing wrong. That happens some times. In a hobie you can hold the rod and keep super light thumb presure in freespool. But I have caught loads of fish from a paddle kayak with the rod in the holder. What kind of fsh did the other yakkers hook? You said your bait was bloodied up badly. YT have strong jaws but no teeth, so they ususally crush the bait. Calicos leave sort of a sand papery skin removal. WSB will cut baits up. But it sounds to me like you had a cuda give your bait a drive by. Cuda don't eat big dines too well but they will shred the shit out of them and then drop them. Just mean i guess. If it was a cuda you could have fly lined it for 20 seconds and still not hooked it. You'll get em next time. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
steveooo

You did nothing wrong. Sometimes fish hit it and spit it. Lots of Cuda out there right now. If your bait came back bloody, that would be my guess.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
ocurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I don't think you did any thing wrong. That happens some times. In a hobie you can hold the rod and keep super light thumb presure in freespool. But I have caught loads of fish from a paddle kayak with the rod in the holder. What kind of fsh did the other yakkers hook? You said your bait was bloodied up badly. YT have strong jaws but no teeth, so they ususally crush the bait. Calicos leave sort of a sand papery skin removal. WSB will cut baits up. But it sounds to me like you had a cuda give your bait a drive by. Cuda don't eat big dines too well but they will shred the shit out of them and then drop them. Just mean i guess. If it was a cuda you could have fly lined it for 20 seconds and still not hooked it. You'll get em next time. Mike
I didn't think of that, thanks for the info. and I bet it was a Cuda, because my uncle caught 2 Cuda's a little farther off on swim baits. I didn't see what the other two Yaks caught. This actually makes me feel a little better I have been beating myself up for losing a YT.

I am heading out early saturday morning (430am) to try round 2. Hopefully I will catch the ilusive YT or WSB. This is my last trip until September (buying a house, lots of remodeling to do!)

Although I don't post much, I do read lots and am looking forward to getting more involved in the kayaking community. I have been dabbling in the sport for 3 years now but am escalating this with my new Hobie! Hope to meet you guys on the water!

On another note, any advice on beaching a hobie without getting dumped? it was much easier on my Mini-X!
ocurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

Hobie landing...make sure drive and rudder out and locked, time the entry, lean into the wave if needed and side slip in, never exit on the beach side of the yak,
if it is sideways, and pull it up as fast as you can if there is a swell, Hobies are great but not the best surfers but you will get used to it, if it is a little sketchy
on the launch or landing, stow everything that you can, it will cut down on the anxiety...basically think of it as a Tupperware bowl once the drive and rudder are up and compensate for it...hope that helps a little, but I am by no means
an expert, lots of launches and landings and I still get dumped, and I have been at it for about 6-7 years, a surf lesson from one of the guys would help with your confidence...Jim Sammons has surf lessons when he is in town, that's
who taught me...but even the best most experienced, get dumped every so often...it's just part of the deal....b