Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Denis_Ruso

Malibu 5/22/16 -New Kayak - miaden voyage

Sold my old Cobra and just picked up a smokin' deal on a Malibu kayaks X-factor (older model) on Wednesday.

Got out Sunday to look for , found a red crab invasion. Paddled out about a mile and worked 55-90 ft. Only bait I found were jacksmelt. The red crab were in thick enough to shut the bite down on pretty much everything. Marked no big fish to speak of on the fish finder.

4 calico short bites on mixed baits from 5" swim baits, spoons and live bait. Paddled off the water with nothing to show for it and the only fish that have touched the kayak to date is bait

Impressions. This kayak is way harder to turn then my last. The stability gained is insane. Stood up out there for a while. More kayak to paddle, might be time to invest in a light weight paddle.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Reiner

How was the surf launch? Did the kayak stay dry inside?
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
King Saba

It's hard to get fish to bite on anything that doesn't look like those crabs when they are around. I'm not too crazy about the wider malibus. They're stable as hell, but a pain to paddle. A lightweight stiff paddle makes it easier, but it's still hard. I have a stealth 12(haven't used it since after going to a hobie revo) and never came close to flipping in it, but its lack of speed and cadence carrying capabilities make for a tough day of paddling when windy.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

You'll be stoked on that carrying capacity with a limit of yt on board
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 AM   #5
TJones

Ya , good luck weighing 300 lbs with 2-3' at BU

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
You'll be stoked on that carrying capacity with a limit of yt on board
Where did you launch and fish ? Hit me up in future when things settle down , that way if one of us gets chomped the other can disclose the location of body. . I know a few spots that were producing heavy last year , completely different this year but it is relatively early still. Thanks for posting , not a lot of yakers making it out lately due to conditions making it risky .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
How was the surf launch? Did the kayak stay dry inside?
The launch was extremely easy, but I've been surf launching all my kayak career. Kayak had maybe a few drops of water inside. Nothing that wont dry over night. The launch was a lot slower/sluggish compared to my last kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Where did you launch and fish ? Hit me up in future when things settle down , that way if one of us gets chomped the other can disclose the location of body. . I know a few spots that were producing heavy last year , completely different this year but it is relatively early still. Thanks for posting , not a lot of yakers making it out lately due to conditions making it risky .
My fishing and launch locations are omitted intentionally to protect local spots. You know, it's a Malibu thing haha.

I'm familiar with each spot that was producing last year. I was out there as well. PM me if you want to get out there sometime, can always use an extra shark target out there.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
TJones

Ohhh ya,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
The launch was extremely easy, but I've been surf launching all my kayak career. Kayak had maybe a few drops of water inside. Nothing that wont dry over night. The launch was a lot slower/sluggish compared to my last kayak.

My fishing and launch locations are omitted intentionally to protect local spots. You know, it's a Malibu thing haha.

I'm familiar with each spot that was producing last year. I was out there as well. PM me if you want to get out there sometime, can always use an extra shark target out there.
Forgot about locals. Don't want to come back to slashed tires . So what do you think? Is it gonna produce ? Are you strictly weekend warrior ? How's it looking this Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? Feel free to pm for my number . Not sure if you are down to travel to lj? I'm in Burbank and have a small trailer if interested in stacking em up ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Forgot about locals. Don't want to come back to slashed tires . So what do you think? Is it gonna produce ? Are you strictly weekend warrior ? How's it looking this Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? Feel free to pm for my number . Not sure if you are down to travel to lj? I'm in Burbank and have a small trailer if interested in stacking em up ?
Yes, I'm a weekend warrior as I work a 9-5. You know, I am not sure, and it is too early to tell if anything will produce around here. The water is not as warm as it was last year, but I also don't remember any red crab in Malibu last year either. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the developments.

I've done LJ once about a month ago for my first time. Landed a nice 27 lb yellow. I'd be down to make the trip down there again. Parking sucks with a trailer.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
2-Stix

it was looking good yesterday for the end of week...not so much now. the lights moved around. it will produce. it has the 5 years. not as good last year. hit and miss. but we all know this already.

Denis time for another hooky Tuesday soon? Sean still getting out?

Last edited by 2-Stix; 05-27-2016 at 04:42 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
it was looking good yesterday for the end of week...not so much now. the lights moved around. it will produce. it has the 5 years. not as good last year. hit and miss. but we all know this already.

Denis time for another hooky Tuesday soon? Sean still getting out?
Hooky Tuesday sounds good. but probably later in the season.

We do know this. I should be out there on memorial day, giving it another try.

Nahh Seans mostly boating, he's too lazy to kayak. He will come out when he cant afford the boat trips haha.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
Druko

Might hit up Malibu this weekend. Anyone game?
Druko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #12
kluts

MALIBU

Wideopen! went last week, just north of Pt. mugu rock, the water was just lit up right behind the firing range. You can always tell when the fish are biting, cause that's when they put the red flags up, that's where you need to fish
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts View Post
Wideopen! went last week, just north of Pt. mugu rock, the water was just lit up right behind the firing range. You can always tell when the fish are biting, cause that's when they put the red flags up, that's where you need to fish
Lol this should be mandatory instruction for all newbies

Old 05-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
CaliHalikiller

I'll be out there hunting for some game fish on Saturday orange trident
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
Jizzling

To those fishing this Saturday...

What place is everyone launching from? I will also be out in the area in the AM and would definitely like to meet the people from here.
Jizzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
2-Stix

The Bu Zoo will be all business. The valley is comes to the coast.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 05-27-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Words out now. The Bu Zoo starts. They will be launching from everywhere. If you dont know where, drive the coast at 5am, you will see 20-30 guys at each spot. Pick one and go. It will be all business. The valley is coming to the coast. Be ready! Go hard. Learn and watch.
I blame Obama! JK, blame 976 tuna and the Island Spirit!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #18
2-Stix

i was on the island spirit yesterday.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #19
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
i was on the island spirit yesterday.
Nice, you guys fish the channel islands? Did they load you guys up with live squid for bait?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #20
M4TT

I think they hit anacapa. I was on it a week ago and we targeted YT & WSB as well.
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote