Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Zed
BANNED

Astronimical SanO 11/13/08

Yeah, astronomical.

For those looking for pretty, artistic pix of beautiful paddle conditions, see Dan, or steveooo.

There was a surf launch involved and a dead camera battery [read lazy user], so 2 strikes against pix.

The fishing was very good. What was odd, was I couldn't buy a bite on the flood tide. I poked around on the inside dodging sets and trying dropshot and swimbaits in the troughs but I could not find anything. About when the high tide peaked [slack] I was outside on some of the reefs, and the bass went off. Good solid calicos with a couple sadbass. None of the calicos were over 4#, really, but they were numerous and hitting plastic and spoons. Several doubles on the dropshot and swimbait. Biggest bass was a big dark pig sadbass. Oddly that fizzled when the tide started to flush. So I went to another reefy area a little inside.

This was a cool zone with a few buoys and a nice upwelling on the sets. I got some more calicos, sadbass, brown rockfish, scorpions, and a smelt. Also lost 5 leadheads to the reef. The current died off there so I started making my way back to the take-out.

On the way in I found a dirty spot that made me think of sand so I made a cast and noticed the tail was fouled as it landed, so I ripped it back and fixed the tail. Next cast got nailed on the drop and brought a nice 'but right back to the yak. Except, it decided to keep on going right past me and unhooked itself on the pass.

Back at the truck, the astronimical tide had washed past the truck and almost to the dumpster against the bluff. I had figured the swell would subside after the tide changed, but actually I think it got bigger. It was real nice and peaky too, which made the landing tough since the channel wasnt really there at all.

Awesome day, just a little wet on the landing, due to some side-sliding in the wash.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
steveooo

Yikes That was a HUGE swing today!!!

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
yakrider

love it when the bass just turn on like that....
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Dan

good job on the bass.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Ok you OC guys... Dan, Zed, Steve... you know the rules... no photos =!

It sounds like you guys held surf camp on your own! Good times!
That is great tides for bugging, too bad they aren't at night.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Zed
BANNED

It really was one of those all-star SoCal fall days. The wind was down, the sun was warm and the swell was on. Almost wished I was surfin', but then would those bass have bit if no one was there to catch them?
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Almost wished I was surfin', but then would those bass have bit if no one was there to catch them?
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

You pose a very philosophical question there Zed....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Matt
Support your local pangas

trees, forests.....what about the beavers??????????