Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Fish

Looking for a kayak on a budget

Hi, Im looking for a fishing kayak been on the forums for a while and finally have space to store one ...however i dont make much money am looking for something around 2-300 bucks something a bit bigger than a scrambler if possible.

i dont know if anything on here goes for that price but am looking for something to start fishing the lakes and also take out to newport bay.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any good deals for a starting kayaker!

Btw i am in the riverside area.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Hi, Im looking for a fishing kayak been on the forums for a while and finally have space to store one ...however i dont make much money am looking for something around 2-300 bucks something a bit bigger than a scrambler if possible.

i dont know if anything on here goes for that price but am looking for something to start fishing the lakes and also take out to newport bay.

Might takea bit to find something in that price range but I suggest you check out the online store. Oex which is the shop that provides this site for use has really good deals on blem model Malibus. If you are willing to spend another 100 you can get an extreme or mini X and pick up from one of their stores.
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...s-BLEMS/Detail

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Might takea bit to find something in that price range but I suggest you check out the online store. Oex which is the shop that provides this site for use has really good deals on blem model Malibus. If you are willing to spend another 100 you can get an extreme or mini X and pick up from one of their stores.
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...s-BLEMS/Detail
You can't go wrong with this advise. I agree with William X3. Tight lines
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #4
Sdspeed

Quote:

This one is still posted, maybe a good fit for your budget?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/4246444988.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
mrJB

That kayak is toast. Be patient and something will show up. If possible, take a kayak friend to look at any prospects. He should have a better idea on what to check out and possible areas of wear (scupper drains, etc).

For another option, Newport Harbor periodically has auctions on found boats. I've gone to advise friends and they've gotten good deals...
Old 02-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
buddha

Quote:

The Scrambler XT is better than the regular Scrambler and is an angler version. It is much more stable and a nice kayak. Those can usually be had used at a very good price.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Angh
Junior

I would highly recommend buying a blem for a budget kayak. It saves an incredible amount of money and it is hardly noticeable. I just picked up a stealth 14 and it was more than half off! www.kayakfishingsupplies.com
Angh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angh View Post
I would highly recommend buying a blem for a budget kayak. It saves an incredible amount of money and it is hardly noticeable. I just picked up a stealth 14 and it was more than half off! www.kayakfishingsupplies.com
Yeah seriously. If there is one piece of advice I could give is don't buy cheap stuff that might not suit your needs, just because the price is right. If you save up a bit you can get a kayak you can really be happy in. I'd say 500-600 would be a more reasonable goal. You will probably find one on here fully rigged with paddle and seat

Old 02-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
Fish

Thanks for the replys guys ...maybe i should wait a while longer and save up some more cash ...might aswell get something i like ...

Last edited by Fish; 02-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
Fish

Quote:
Yeah seriously. If there is one piece of advice I could give is don't buy cheap stuff that might not suit your needs, just because the price is right. If you save up a bit you can get a kayak you can really be happy in. I'd say 500-600 would be a more reasonable goal. You will probably find one on here fully rigged with paddle and seat
ive seen some really good deals on here before, 500 ish probably a good place to get to before looking , hopefully soon i just am aching to get out there hehe
Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
kiyo21

Trident 13

Pm me lets negotiate
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I say if it's water tight, get it. You will probably find it to be slow, and track like a bathtub. You will most definitely want to upgrade in the near future, but in the meantime you can fish the lakes and bays and get your beak wet. Put it up on Craigslist for 300 and fish off of it while saving your money for what you want. You will for sure at a minimum get your money back out of the deal. Especially a few months from now when the water starts to warm up. 1 suggesting is to not load up on every piece of fishing gear you own until you learn your kayaks specific limitations. At least until you get used to paddling around. The last think you want to do is roll your kayak with all your gear.

And for the record, i was so anxious to gget on the water when i first decided i wanted to do this, i went and bought a seyvlor inflatable kayak and fished it in the harbor becausei couldn't afford anything else. I must have been a sight.

Last edited by William Novotny; 02-07-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

http://orangecounty.en.craigslist.or...286308629.html

I'd get this beforei ever bought another cobra. This kayak is short so it will not be fast. But I know from personal experience that they are super stable and have good weight capacity.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

Quote:
http://orangecounty.en.craigslist.or...286308629.html

I'd get this beforei ever bought another cobra. This kayak is short so it will not be fast. But I know from personal experience that they are super stable and have good weight capacity.
...love my mini x
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:

Oex has a clearance on their Blems at their Dist. warehouse in city of Paramount.Get Qex E-mail info on their next sale.Also equipt willB on sale ie paddles,seats & hatches.Usually on Sat.Bware lines show up once word get around.
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
Fish

thanks again for all the advice guys ....i ended up buying that 200 dollar kayak....it wasnt bad spent the morning cleaning it and putting my gear in and what not ...ill throw some pictures up hopefully tomorrow.

ill be saving up to get something really nice ...once i get that nice kayak will be awesome to have that spare one and have a buddy come along.

super excited tomorrow going to be testing it out at Lake Perris..well see how that goes

If all goes well you guys will see me in newport soon!

Tight Lines!