Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
kurtman
Junior

South Bird Rock MPA report

A couple of weeks ago I floated 10 tons of squid with my Glowlight and broke off a few seven gill sharks on dropper loops before I decided to head south in serach of Homeguards. I made it down to Bird Rock with a few live squirts still in the tank and sent them down to the bottom to see if I might find a bit of tasty dinner. It is amazing how bad Sand Bass taste when yo have fresh Lingcod to compare with.

I landed a nice 5 lb Ling on live squid whcih may be my last fish from the South Bird Rock Marine Protected Area if we do not support United Anglers efforts to continue to work with our chief plantiff and local fishermans' warrior, Robert Fletcher with their ongoing fight against the flawed MLPA process. The environmental impact report I read specified $0 economic impact from the most restrictive MPAs implimentation and no baseline fish population studies to have a basis to study the potential impact of the MPAs.

I struggled to make a donation on http://www.savecafishing.org/donations/ but I was able to get the funds sent by imputing the United Anglers of SoCal legal fund e-mail address, oapfun@att.net into my PayPal account. When I clicked into the donations link I had error messages twice and then when I linked into PayPal the website information did not follow me but I was able to find the e-mail address listed above on the saveca site so I did get a confirmation of my $200 donation.

I would like to suggest that every BWE member donate $20 per target species fish landed this year. 2 WSB, 7 YT and the SBR MPA Lingcod is my LJ take so far this year. A bit down from 20 WSB and 19 YT of 2010 as my business transition has been cutting into my time on the water this year. $20 per fish seems quite resonable to me as rolling over and letting the Enviros win after all our efforts to voice our opinions at all those pointless MLPA meetings would be a disgrace.

Please consider my proposal as United Anglers and Mr. Fletcher are currently working on an appeal of the most recent court ruling not to furhter dealy the Jan. 1 South Coast MPA inplimentations. UA and Bob won two court rulings that did delay the implimentation of the closures but someone got the judge the last time around and we need to step-up to the plate to continue our battle in court and not on the water. Lets observe the closures respectfully in 2012 but continue to fight on with garce and determination. fficeffice" />>>
>>
Name:  SBMPA2011haul.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  SBRMPALuc.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  LucasBRTFLA1109.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  42.6 KB

If you are more of a hooper than a fisher how about $5 per legal lobster or even $2 if you have been very lucky this year. Lets stick together and not let the fight end with our impute that was mostly ignored by the Packard Foundation funded opposition.
kurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Aaron&Julie

I thought this was a done deal, as in, we've been screwed and the decision is 99% final.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Never say never! Thanks you guys for all of your efforts! You are doing what 99% of the fishing community is not doing.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
kurtman
Junior

it is not over until we let it be over

Kevin, I appreciate your response and comments. If we do not step up to the plateand donate on the great website link above that was created by Ali of bloodydecks. Go and read the quotes from captains of the fishing industry. You decide if we should rollover to the Packard foundation funded environmentalists.
kurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Hi Kurt,

Anything new on the issues/meetings?

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote