Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
swinginFish

On the fly

It's been years, and while they can piss us off for destroying our sabikis, the bonito are back in LJ, and all is not bad. All I can say is, while still dragging a bait for the usual target, I was prepared with my fly rod and flies the AM, finding bonito yet again to be absolutely kamakazee for chartreuse and green clauser minnows. These flies attracted and caught some hefty greenies and small calicos as well. Gotta say it's way cool to cast towards some boiling bonito and see one race to and hit the fly like a Mack truck. No YT today, but bled and kept a couple nice bonito cool for sashimi tonight. Another great day at LJ!
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
619-SWIM-DOG

Glad you got to use your fly rod. It was nice chatting
With you this am.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
YTHunter
Carlisle

Sounds like fun! I'll take a Bonito or large Greenback on light tackle over a Spotted Bay Bass or LMB any day.
YTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
wade

Nice, Avery!!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Mike scales

Awesome!
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
swinginFish

Dem Bones, Dem Bones,

Noted that I dragged and tossed clouser minnows for bones and trolled mackerels last Monday. Out again yesterday, hooking bigger fish - feeding one nice YT to the "friendly" sea dogs (retrieving only the head after a heated battle which I obviously lost), and bringing in several trolled greenbacks that had been picked up, run with and then dropped. When inspected, aside from one with a crushed head (YT), they had needle-like teeth marks on both sides. Having seen a big barracuda being hauled in by a PB, I figured the teeth marks on my raked baits was from barries. When heading in, saw a kayaker fighting what looked like the right kind off the hotel, but at gaff it turned out to be a big bonito - bigger, in fact, than the firecracker YT he had clipped earlier. Continuing my move in my last greenback was yanked, then hauled ass towards the kelp. Right kind? Well, fish turned, headed away from kelp like a bullet, was found by no seals or kelp and eventually came to the boat. Bonito - 8+ lb bonito! In fact, biggest bonito I've ever caught in LJ in 14yrs of fishing. Damn interesting and a blast. MY FF temp sensor was reading 74 - 76 degrees - quite warm, and wondering if my unit's inaccurate. Welcome learning temp readings of others.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Mike scales

Awesome!
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote