Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Trophy Killer
Junior

I can't decide between a Hobie Revo or a Malibu Stealth 14

I can't decide between the Hobie Revo or the Malibu Stealth 14. I plan on fishing SD bay, LJ, and Orange County coast. Im 5'9" 190 and will be a newbie to kayak fishing but learn quick and know how to fish from a boat and find fish.
I like the Hobie for all the features it has but can't figure out how and where would you store your catch and keep it in good condition especially a big wsb or yt? Any Tips from Revo owners?
I think the stealth 14 is also great looks like plenty of room and storage especially for a big fish. Can any Hobie and Stealth owners let me know what you think.

Last edited by Trophy Killer; 03-21-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Trophy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
wbrewski

I have a stealth 14 and love this kayak. I have had a Hobie outback and rolled it 2 times and lost a lot of gear. This is my second malibu . I love this kayak because I am a big guy 265 and 6'2 and 63 years old and can;t climb back in if i go over again I feel really safe in this kayak.
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
da22y

On the lap

I have a Revo, but never caught a 50lb+ fish yet in La Jolla ( one monster black seabass released doesn't count).

I can't find a "proper place" to hold the potential LARGE fish other than my lap either.

Becasue the tankwell has the huge Hobie livewell tank in place, no good.

Under the hatch, there are my dry bags, battery bag, fishfinder console ,upper wet suit , 3 to 4 fishing poles with reel , no good.

That leaves me only on my lap. Not gonna be pleasant, but I'll take it any day.

Dan
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
dadandsonkayak

in the front hatch

i would store it in the front hatch and slip the fish in there with a trash bag wrapped around it so u dont hav a fishy hull to make ur personals smell..i know for a fact that it is easier to use leg muscle than arm but the some paddle kayaks have better featurs such as a built in bait tank. wich on a hobie ur bait tank is behind you which somtimes is hard... either way ur gonna be happy with either one
Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

Fear of the unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
I have a Revo, but never caught a 50lb+ fish yet in La Jolla ( one monster black seabass released doesn't count).

I can't find a "proper place" to hold the potential LARGE fish other than my lap either.

Becasue the tankwell has the huge Hobie livewell tank in place, no good.

Under the hatch, there are my dry bags, battery bag, fishfinder console ,upper wet suit , 3 to 4 fishing poles with reel , no good.

That leaves me only on my lap. Not gonna be pleasant, but I'll take it any day.

Dan

I'm a little too clean to put a fish below deck, but fish over fifty pounds fit just fine on the Revolution...catching them is another story.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Dan

Worst case (best case) you catch 2 or more really big fish you could probably pull your drive and paddle the kayak in? That Stealth looks pretty roomy too.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I'm a little too clean to put a fish below deck, but fish over fifty pounds fit just fine on the Revolution...catching them is another story.
Looked like you tie a rope at the tail of the fish ? How to secured it ? I am interested to learn your way.

When The Darkhorse teach, we listen....

Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Trophy Killer
Junior

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

Damn Big Dog!!! Nice Fish!!! I'd be worried that a seal might mistake the Hobie for the kitchen table. What do you think about instead of opting out for the hobie bait tank I get the Kayatank System and free up some space in the back? Have anyone out there seen or used the Kayatank and what are your thoughts on it. I live in Los Gatos CA and my job is relocating me to Laguna Beach by summer time so I cant stop by the local OEX and pick there brain. Till then
Trophy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Billy V

These Pics are from a classic BWE Post.

This is Paul's (amsurferoceanbeach) Hobie Adventure.
- A Salty Dog fisherman
As long as the blood doesn't enter the ice chest its all cool.

89 lbs in here.

couple more.

There could possibly come a time when storage becomes a problem. You may have to remove your ice chest and relocate it to the rear well.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

It's easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Looked like you tie a rope at the tail of the fish ? How to secured it ? I am interested to learn your way.

When The Darkhorse teach, we listen....

Step one: Turn around in your seat facing the bait-tank holding fish on game clip.

Step two: Pull fish straight across the back hatch so the belly is in the center with the head and tail off to either side.

Step three: Pull game clip straight between the Hobie rod holders and Hobie tank until you wedge the head of the fish...make sure to secure the game clip at all times.

Step four: Center the fifty pound plus fish and secure it with the Hobie bungee that's used to secure the rudder during transport. I simply use my gaff to put the Hobie bungee around the tail and slip it over the clip, easy .
Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Revo or Stealth? To me it comes down to the basic decision of peddle or paddle. Most of us who ride Hobies are convinced that peddling is the only way to go. Is the Revo perfect? Definately not, but it is still a very nice kayak.

If I were working with the Hobie design team I would lobby for:

Better rod holder placement and design.

Wider, recessed mounting locations on the forward rails, (so the rails remain flat after Ram or similar mounts are installed)

Larger center hatch with bulkheads fore and aft to keep stuff from sliding around.

Install a watertight bulkhead in the front hatch so it could be filled with ice to store fish, (or beer). This could be a removable tray to allow for easy cleaning.

I am sure that other ideas are out there. If you have any, please post. I know that the Hobie folks read this forum.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Revo or Stealth? To me it comes down to the basic decision of peddle or paddle. Most of us who ride Hobies are convinced that peddling is the only way to go. Is the Revo perfect? Definately not, but it is still a very nice kayak.

If I were working with the Hobie design team I would lobby for:

Better rod holder placement and design.

Wider, recessed mounting locations on the forward rails, (so the rails remain flat after Ram or similar mounts are installed)

Larger center hatch with bulkheads fore and aft to keep stuff from sliding around.

Install a watertight bulkhead in the front hatch so it could be filled with ice to store fish, (or beer). This could be a removable tray to allow for easy cleaning.

I am sure that other ideas are out there. If you have any, please post. I know that the Hobie folks read this forum.

Bob

Ok , here is my wish list :

1. Some kind of mini version "Rod Pod" design openning on the right side of kayak (for easy storing of rods).

2. A center hatch molded livewell tank with timer.

3. Two flush mount rod holders in the front at an angle for trolling. Molded five rod holders straight up just behind seat area.

I then have the tank well vacant for big fish , I am a happy man.

Dan
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
mg2969

As a 250lbs 6ft Revo owner, I like the Revo. Like already said arms vs legs,
especially into the wind, its not even a discussion.

1 thing I would like to
see though is a high weight limit. I never feel worried, but the 350 lbs
suggested max capacity is something always nagging in the back of my
mind.

250lbs weight
56+ weight of water in 8 gal in hobie bait tank
306 total without any gear

I still love my Revo, definitely the most versatile of all the mirage drive kayaks.

Hooping is also totally doable after you unscrew the cleats in the rear so that
netting doesnt hangup
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
Donfish

Being an owner of a Malibu extreme i'm always totally envious of the hobies to the point they allow me hands free operation while moving.but as far as stability and room for storage i'm still on the malibu as far as the stealth incorporates some of the room I don't use in front of me with hard to reach areas put into my immediate reach.Baittank I have but rareky use because its a pain is now upfrount and user friendly The side waterproof stroage is awesome for immediate must haves tackle or phone. Great design but............What I want is a 13' X 39" standup tunnel drive 2hpjet exhaust 4 stroke That includes paddle holders and paddle holds 2 gallons of fuel that is safe to launch anywhere in calif.Does 8 -12kts and is surf launchable for $1500.... not much to ask when the economy is so screwed is it?.... oooh and a reliable rudder system would ice the cake.:reel :
Donfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
forefrazier

Get the Stealth....those Hobie's are terrible kayaks

But seriously....I have had and X-Factor and am now on the Adventure. Both have their strengths/weaknesses as others have pointed out above. Just get both and then you won't have to worry about it.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #16
SquidVicious
Junior

I have a Revo as well as 2 paddle yaks - a prowler 13 and cobra tandem. I love fishing from the Revo but storage is a problem. I don't even use a bait-tank and I have a hard time fitting all my stuff. I love fishing from the Hobie, though . . . there's really nothing better, IMO.

I fish regularly from my Prowler, too and am planning on replacing it with a Trident 15 this year. Sometimes the simplicity of a paddle yak just wins out.

Right now I use the hobie for the bays, lakes and short ocean trips. I use the prowler for longer ocean trips, surf launches, carries that involve steep goat trails (like in Big Sur), etc. It might be silly but I also won't use the hobie from about Carmel to Marin - the GWS hotspot.

I really feel like I need both kinds of boats and I'm actually thinking of adding a dedicated freshwater yak now, too . .. easier to keep super clean for various inspections.

Get both but if you can only get one . .I say get the Hobie.
SquidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Corey

I have the Stealth 14 and really like it so far. The convenience of the built in bait tank in front of you is great, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how effortlessly it paddles for a wider boat. I'm a bigger guy (6'2" and 230#) and it handles me & alot of gear and a couple of large pieces of cargo just fine. The front hatch or back tankwell area are both of ample size to store a large fish or two.

The bottom line is that both the Revo & the Stealth 14 are good and fishable boats. If I were you, I would set aside some time to go demo each one - even take a rod & fish a little- to see which one feels more like what you want.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #18
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I saw the Stealth for the first time at the boat show the other day. I have to say, the Hobie design folks could take a few pointers from some of this model's features. I love the side hatches and the center bait tank setup.

As many have pointed out, reaching back to a stern mounted tank can be a pain. Similarly, the "black hole" that is the current center hatch setup on the Hobie can be frustrating at times when something you put in there slides away and out of reach.

I spoke to one of the Hobie factory guys at the show and shared with him my wish list for the Revo. While he politely acknowledged my comments, I got the feeling that no major changes would be coming soon.

Maybe we should take a different approach and lobby the makers of the Stealth to add a peddle option.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
bellcon

I am curious when the patent runs out on the "mirage drive"
and what we can expect from malibu, ocean and wilderness then?

for now i will Paddle my Trident and have occasional episodes of peddle envy

by the way that stealth is pretty trick... look at Kiyos post
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
Shorty

It will be real hard to decide between those two and iam curious to know why the Stealth 12's not in the running ?

Anyway re putting your fish somewhere on the Hobie,,some of the lads Down Under use insulated fish bags that velcro onto the front,,its just a matter of unzipping and slide them in,,they can take some fairly hefty fish.

Highly respected member of T.A.A
(Tackle Addicts Annonymous)
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote