Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Siebler

Exclamation Memorial Day observation and HOW

What will you and your family do this Memorial Day to honor those who have given their all in service to their country?

Are you interested in instilling in our children patriotism and an appreciation for the freedoms we enjoy as Americans?

The truth is, there is a disconnect between what Memorial Day means, and how it is observed today.

There is a way for Americans to observe Memorial Day by honoring the sacrifices made by members of the military, especially those who have been wounded . . . and it's an opportunity to give back to those who have been engaged in the fight to ensure our freedom today.

Individually or as a family, become informed about the increasing numbers and needs of injured military servicemen and women returning home. Together, we can impact their lives for the better and instill hope for the future. Thoughtfully consider making a donating to Heroes on the Water this Memorial Day.

Heroes on the Water helps injured military personnel, men and women from all branches of the service, to relax, rehabilitate and reintegrate into society through kayak fishing and the outdoors. Visit http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org to learn about our mission and why we do what we do. We invite you to join us this Memorial Day in honoring our military by making a donation to Heroes on the Water. Your donation provides absolutely free kayak fishing excursions in chapters across the country. I know that the folks in this community have a strong connection with Military, especially due to the location of most members.

Currently there is no SoCal chapter however hopefully that can change soon. Both Jim Sammons and I have been hoping to get something going however, unfortunately neither of us have the spare time needed to head this (but offer full support in whatever ways possible). If you are interested in helping get this chapter going send me a message and lets see if we can get a HOW team going down here.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
cabojohn
PROBATION

this is awesome

pm sent.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
YakMedic

This is awesome, checked out their website and I'm very interested in this program. I currently work for the VA hospital in Loma Linda and I see these guys that would love an opportunity like this.

Siebler, sending you a pm.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I would Love to get behind this. Being from a Long Military History and serving in the same unit my Dad went to Vietnam with I am very pro US Military.

I would love to Volunteer my help and (talent?) to a cause we should all get behind.

I am not rich, well I'm poor actually ha ha, but I do have a big truck and a big 24 foot enclosed box trailer that might help some time.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
MVC

I have a son who is currently at the Marine Corp. Boot Camp in San Diego. His older brother was in the Marines and was wounded in Iraq in 2006. While he was at Brooks Hospital in Texas he was taken on 2 hunting trips by a similar group. These types of programs are great for our wounded soldiers. I would be willing to help in any way I can to get a So Cal chapter going.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

As CJ mentioned this is a great organization. I was lucky enough to work with them during one of our shoots in Texas and was amazed how a little fishing could bring smiles to the faces of these brave Americans who were, earlier in the day, totally shut down.
I would love to support a group here and help in any way I can just do no have the hours to put into heading it up. So if someone wants to step up and carry the torch to get it going here I pledge my support in any way I can.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Phatford

I want to do this.... I sent them a Short Message. Let's do this!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Siebler

thanks for all the PM's guys. We are working on a benefit event put on through OEX/KFSupplies in which if at all possible Don from the Norcal chapter will be coming down. If he can make it I would like to have those that are serious about helping come to my house for some BBQ so we can hear about the difficulties of starting a chapter and pick his brain some.

Stay tuned for more info on this event and any others interested in helping Head a chapter please feel free to shoot em a PM or Email.

Thanks again for all the support of this great organization.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Gigafish

I'd like to help but not sure of what active role I will be able to help in. I have two kayaks.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
blitzburgh

I would be honored to help any way I can.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
tight lines

I also sent a message ,and would fully support in any way possible .I too have a brother and cousins who are serving ,and have been on several deployments.Not to mention my father , grandfathers and uncles are veterans.I love this cause and it would suit San Diego and its military well.
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
tagyak

i would also like to contribute to this cause. i am in the l.a. area so not too sure if i can contribute my time so much, but i would like to make a monetary contribution to help with the socal chapter.
if you need kayaks for these excursions i would like to volunteer mine whenever you need it. just advise accordingly.

tim
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Siebler

I appreciate all the people who have contacted me, The response thus far has been absolutely outstanding.

Watch for a special announcement on a HOW benefit that will be taking place in July. I am currently setting it all up so as soon as details are in place I will be posting.

We have a Great group of guys here on BWE and I appreciate the offers for help, those who have contacted me I will be in touch as everything progresses. I need to get with Jim Dolan and then Don from the Norcal Chapter and talk to them more about setting it all up.

If you would like to make a monetary contribution I urge you to simply make it to the foundation through the website as there is no set date for the Socal Chapter. If you would like you can make it to the Norcal chapter in specific as well as these guys are being a huge help to us down here and can really use it being such a new chapter.

Thanks again for the support.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
richard67b

I WOUND SOPPORT IN WAY I CAN.8YRS ON THE MIDWAY AND O-SIDE SENIOR ANGLER TOO
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
WahooUSMA

Count me in, CJ. I come from the long gray line - Army of course. I spent last weekend at West Point - USMA, for my son's graduation and commissioning ceremony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00237-20110521-1502.jpg (120.2 KB, 87 views)

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

I would love to help out on this but I cannot be the leader of it. This is a great thing to show our appreciation to those who have been hurt trying to protect us all. Let me know dates and times and I'll be there.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
Phatford

I just recieved this short E-mail thought I would share.

"We just had two folks step up and looking to start a chapter. Steve Spriggs and Ryan Walters. Not sure where Ryan is. Steve is in SD. Both CC’d. They will get together and see where they can collaborate and work together. So you will have one or two chapters in SoCal to support.

Again --Thanks for supporting our wounded vets!"