Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

DFG STRIP SEARCH

DFG DID A STRIP SEARCH ON MY KAYAK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WATER.

Went out with the boys to Cabrillo Beach this morning, and i hear Tim say watch out guys DFG is on the move. DFG stops all of our small kayaks on their small raft and come pay us a visit in the middle of the ocean.

I had my license out and the officer opens up my X-factor front hatch without my consent and then he wants me to open the middle hatch of my X-factor. So i told the officer i only spread my legs for my wife(well i didn't really say that but Matt told me i should of said it. So then I spread my legs and open the middle hatch to find my tackle boxes. He almost asked me to open my rear hatch but i would of told him "Your going to have to tow me back to shore to open that rear hatch and then tow me back to this spot." So they went on their way to check the private boaters.

That was a close call they almost found jorluivil
AKA George sleeping in the rear hatch.

They could of sited me for possession of an illegal.

LOL!!!

Last edited by wiredantz; 05-21-2011 at 08:56 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
bubblehide

DFG's search rights are much broader than police officers. Police officers are required by law to ask to search unless they have probable cause; where as if you admit to fishing or hunting, or are observed fishing or hunting, they do NOT need to ask.

I try to be extra legal, and can't say that I have personally had any issues with DFG; I just cooperate and everything goes smoothly. In all my years of fishing and hunting, I have only encountered 1 DFG officer that was a jerk, and in his case it was with a captiol J; but it all ended fine. I just wish I would see them out there more often.

Just one question about your encounter, was it as enjoyable for you as it was for the officer?
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Hey Frank, you forgot to mention the part where you asked the guy to pat you down again after he was done.

Something along"......try again, pat harder, you may have missed something...."

They questioned me too, no big deal, but still annoying.

He asked me what my target species was, since a net was not easily visible. I replied "Sandbass and Lizardfish"

Nice day today. We'll get them next time.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
jorluivil

I'm sure the DFG Officers got a little uncomfortable as soon as they noticed Frank was wearing a thong with cowboy boots and body glitter. Frank, I'm only going to tell you one more time, the thin side of the thong going in the back not the front, you keep wearing your thongs backwards

All kidding aside, I always have a good time fishing with you guys. I'm slowly starting to learn some of the techniques and rigging used when fishing for hali's and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before my cherry is popped. .

Eric and I headed out past the break wall to chase some birds, turns out it was just a bunch of dolphins chasing bait. I kept going and didn't realize how far out I had gone until I looked back. One mile out in the open in Long Beach is no LJ once the afterwinds pick up........it can get nasty, FAST.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-05-21_09-34-20_930.jpg (25.4 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-05-21_11-01-17_386.jpg (17.9 KB, 269 views)

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 05-22-2011 at 07:51 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
wiredantz

. George lol yOu were so attentive at what I was wearing.

George went out so far he was testing the limits of his h
Kayak. We had to call him on the radio to make sure he was okay. He then responded by saying he was becoming one with nature.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

I've been inspected twice. One time I did not have my license on me and I thought I was going to get nailed. They checked all the hatches, asked if we had licenses, but didn't ask to see them. Off they went.

It's better to cooperate with them and not be rude. You do have your rights and it's good to know those. Most of the time they will ask if they can look, this guys sounds like he was looking for something or someone.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
. George lol yOu were so attentive at what I was wearing.

George went out so far he was testing the limits of his h
Kayak. We had to call him on the radio to make sure he was okay. He then responded by saying he was becoming one with nature.
You should have followed me and put that paddle to the real test, THE MANS TEST

Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I kept going and didn't realize how far out I had gone until I looked back. One mile out in the open in Long Beach is no LJ once the afterwinds pick up........it can get nasty, FAST.
yah that is really easy to do when you are on a hobie
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
GregAndrew

The DFG go out there periodically and do the same check to almost everyone they see with a pole in the water. They are a little zealous sometimes, but I think it is all about getting the message out that they are "watching". I have had them trap my leg between my yak and their hull while one of them was all but diving into my front hatch. The good news is that if you cooperate, they will usually turn you on to the hot spots if you ask (that is Hot Spt, not G Spot so don't get any ideas you 2).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I've been inspected twice. One time I did not have my license on me and I thought I was going to get nailed. They checked all the hatches, asked if we had licenses, but didn't ask to see them. Off they went.

It's better to cooperate with them and not be rude. You do have your rights and it's good to know those. Most of the time they will ask if they can look, this guys sounds like he was looking for something or someone.
X2 on the strip searches this year, I had not been checked in I don't know how long, but this this year, I believe it has been about 5 times so far, one
full on pat down, looking in the vehicle, the kayak, hatches, tackle, pulled the license out of the holder....he would have checked my pockets unless I hadn't had my waders on...I asked him about all the people on the rocks taking illegal fish, and why they are not addressing that, he flat out told me, they can't pay the fines so they look at people who can...go figure...just smile and nod
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
blitzburgh

I'm all for full cooperation with DFG. But how come I never see them walk and check the Piers?
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
I'm all for full cooperation with DFG. But how come I never see them walk and check the Piers?
I think mtnbykr2 nailed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2
I asked him about all the people on the rocks taking illegal fish, and why they are not addressing that, he flat out told me, they can't pay the fines so they look at people who can...go figure...
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I asked him about all the people on the rocks taking illegal fish, and why they are not addressing that, he flat out told me, they can't pay the fines so they look at people who can...go figure...just smile and nod
what i get from this is, they really don't want to do their jobs properly........disappointing but that is life. some guys truly want to do their best and some just want to skate.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I asked him about all the people on the rocks taking illegal fish, and why they are not addressing that, he flat out told me, they can't pay the fines so they look at people who can...go figure...just smile and nod
I had a conversation with a buddy of mine Saturday who has been inspected many times, and has talked in lenght with the wardens and they told him the same thing when he asked about the Rock and shore fisherman.

I get it, and understand, but singling out someone just because you think they can pay a fine, that's not cool. However, I'm still on the cooperating mode with them. I have nothing to hide and I don't keep any fish that are not legal size, and I ususally go well over legal size.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
what i get from this is, they really don't want to do their jobs properly........disappointing but that is life. some guys truly want to do their best and some just want to skate.
I don't know, they don't really have many options do they? The state is always lowering the DFG budget and now they're stripping them of their own income for the general fund. The number of wardens is shrinking all the time. They have to play the odds in their favor and create income for the department if they want to keep their jobs. Spending time issuing tickets that will never get paid probably isn't an option for them.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
mtnbykr2

It's all about the money...unfortunate...my "ducks are in a row" like everyone elses I'm with Jimmy on this one...smile and nod...
12-22-and whatever else is legal if you take em home to eat...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
I don't know, they don't really have many options do they? The state is always lowering the DFG budget and now they're stripping them of their own income for the general fund. The number of wardens is shrinking all the time. They have to play the odds in their favor and create income for the department if they want to keep their jobs. Spending time issuing tickets that will never get paid probably isn't an option for them.
it is this type of mentality that gets me maddd!!!! there always seems to be a double standard in play. the politicians get to do what ever they want and we the people get to pay for their policies.
so what happens if we don't pay for these citations or our annual fishing license. would we be lumped into the dead beats who can't pay?????? WTF
Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #18
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
it is this type of mentality that gets me maddd!!!! there always seems to be a double standard in play. the politicians get to do what ever they want and we the people get to pay for their policies.
so what happens if we don't pay for these citations or our annual fishing license. would we be lumped into the dead beats who can't pay?????? WTF
Its pretty simple.....don't break the rules and you will not get cited. When I was a private boater I was boarded by the USCG, the DFG and the Sheriffs Dept more times that I'd like to count. Everytime they searched and searched and searched and nothing illegal popped up. Registration, drivers license, fishing license, insurance card, fishing/hooping gear, safety devices safety gear and attitude were in order.
I was on a first name basis with at least one DFG Officer, he treated me with respect and I gave them same in return, had he been a d*ck with me I would have killed him with kindness. Regardless of whether you're in the streets or on the water, keep your ducks in a row and each experience will be pleasant......just my $.02

Last edited by jorluivil; 05-24-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post

I've only gone out once without my license, I didn't realize it until after I got bait and was two miles out.....I turned the boat around, went to LB Sportfishing and picked up a one day license for less than I paid for bait. I lost about and hour of fishing time and wasn't boarded on other water or at the boat launch but even if I was, my ducks were back in order so I wasn't worried.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #20
wiredantz

Nothing we can do. I see Beverly hils code enforcement do it all the time. They target the gardeners for their bus license all the time because it is the easiest to fill their quota next time I'll just put one of my kids poop diaper on my front hatch for them lol maybe I'll booby trap and I'll tell them I wouldn't open that front hatch unless you want to be touching some poops and when he opens it I will tell them I tried to warn you