Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Last weeks catch o the day

Went out Thursday to a relaxing sea, bait was plentiful and in 3 sabiki drops netted 10 baits. Started trolling 2 baits towards secret spot (somewhere in the Pacific ocean) and get slammed simultaneously by two big ass Boneheads. Lots of fun to tug on but not what I was looking for, not even a tangle between them. First fish on my new Raptor. Reel worked fine but not a big challenge.

Continued paddling towards secret spot avoiding trap buoys but wind and seas were light so not an issue, the clouds were low and thick, the air cool. Forgot to look at sea temp, not that it was gonna change anything. Soaking two baits and looking for trouble, that's when it happened.

First rod goes off, not too strong but a fish nonetheless.. Grabbed the rod, start reeling and then the second rod gets hit, Hard! I figured the new dinner guest was gonna be more important so I holstered the first rod with fish on and grabbed on to the second for a sweet ride around the pond. Thought it may be a fat yeller (30 + pounder) but I was pleasantly wrong. After getting my pig (kayak) towed around for a while at 2.5 mph, still with first fish in tow I got the Ghost to color. My raptor made it seem too easy. My first Ghost and what a ghost he was. At around 60" he was big and slippery. All shiny and dressed for dinner. Turned out to be a great dinner guest along with a few chosen friends. Note: When handling Ghosts, wear gloves,

First fish turned out to be a big sandy so I let em go.

Went out today with the teacher to an all together different scene. Seas were not calm nor the wind. Made bait easily but that was it for me. Water temp at around 72 as a high. Teacher was soaking last bait before heading in when it happened. He gets a big bite, then towed around for quite awhile. I guessed maybe a ray or even a Blacky. Turns out I was right on the Blacky. Probably ran near 70-80 lbs. Pretty tasty stuff. OK, maybe not, so the fish breaks the line at the boat (PA) and we struggle to catch up with him in snotty conditions. Finally got him to swim down with out puncture. All in all a very tiring day but still pretty cool with the black.

I may try again this week if seas calm.

P.S. For you guys hung up on riggins. I now fish spectra with a slider to a swivel with spectra leader to ringed hook. I seem to get bit more with the rings. And the all spectra doesn't mind the obstacles. My spectra is red, as red is first color to disappear at depth. My hook is a 50 cent hook that thinks it's an $15.00 hook. Stupid hook.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Awesome catch!

Geno

any pics...
Old 10-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

You are using spectra as a leader? Or did I read that wrong.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Spectra as Leader???

Yes, spectra. Fish cant see it. Knots easily, cuts kelp, good abrasion resistance, same strength as main line. Why not??

If no swivel is necessary, straight spectra to hook.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijuu View Post
Yes, spectra. Fish cant see it. Knots easily, cuts kelp, good abrasion resistance, same strength as main line. Why not??

Do you know at what depth they say red disappears?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Kaijuu
"Floater"

dissapearing RED spectra

Loss of color underwater at depth

What color disappears first underwater?

Water absorbs different wavelengths of light to different degrees. The longest wavelengths, with the lowest energy, are absorbed first. Red is the first to be absorbed, followed by orange & yellow. The colors disappear underwater in the same order as they appear in the color spectrum. Even water at 5ft depth will have a noticeable loss of red.

At what depth underwater does color disappear?

• Red - 15ft
  • orange - 25ft
  • Yellow - 35-45ft
  • Green - 70-75ft
Old 10-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

fishing spectra leader makes no sense to me, surprised your "Ghost" did not tear out the hook with no forgiveness............but hard to argue with success.

60incher belongs in here. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=24229
Old 10-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:

Mono is actually much more abrasive resistant than spectra btw.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:03 AM   #9
Deamon

Way to get it done Keith, big congrats! Not much better than landing a ghost...Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #10
chris138
donkey roper

Seabass teeth will easily cut through spectra. It has the least abrasion resistance compared w mono and flouro.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
GregAndrew

Quote:
Loss of color underwater at depth

What color disappears first underwater?

Water absorbs different wavelengths of light to different degrees. The longest wavelengths, with the lowest energy, are absorbed first. Red is the first to be absorbed, followed by orange & yellow. The colors disappear underwater in the same order as they appear in the color spectrum. Even water at 5ft depth will have a noticeable loss of red.

At what depth underwater does color disappear?

• Red - 15ft
  • orange - 25ft
  • Yellow - 35-45ft
  • Green - 70-75ft
If you are old enough to remember black and white television, you will realize that the objects do not disappear. They just turn a shade of gray.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
If you are old enough to remember black and white television, you will realize that the objects do not disappear. They just turn a shade of gray.

You can see the color effect pretty dramatically with the red crab toward the end of the video. You can watch a green crab turn into a bright red crab right before your eyes. Like greg said objects will be a different shade not disappear.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #13
summers in kuwait

nice video Tony.

Pretty cool seeing that color change.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote