Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
jorluivil

Lobster Season

Just wanted to reach out to the newbies and the veterans of hooping with the following info:

*First and foremost........You must have a new report card for the 2015-2016 season, the report card that you used last season is no longer valid. You can order your card online or at your local tackle shop (call before you go just to make sure they are an authorized retailer)

*Stay Safe

*Get all of your gear in order BEFORE you launch, best bet it to get it in order before you even leave your house. I can't tell you how many times I've seen kayakers show up at the launch unprepared and taking up the entire launch trying to setup their gear

*Make sure you have all of your required items with you before you leave your house; Lobster report card, measuring gauge, buoy lights, headlamp and a light pole for your kayak, hoop nets, etc.

*This isn't a must but you'll thank me later..........make sure you have at least two gauges. Keep one on a lanyard ready to use and another safely stored in your PFD or somewhere on your kayak. If you happen to lose your go-to gauge while on the water or misplace it you will have one stored close by. DON'T GET CAUGHT WITHOUT ONE.

*Stay safe

*Don't take 100' of rope for each net if you know you're going to hope 30' of water. I have all of my lines setup in 50' sections, if I hoop 30' I use a single 50' section, if I hoop 60' I'll add another 50' section. All of my lines have a loop on either end, this allows me to add or remove lines quickly

*don't forget that the limit is 7 spiny lobster(I forget the limit for both red, yellow and spider crabs but you can find it online) Always check your kayak for shorts, every so often you'll find one of those little boogers hiding in some corner of the kayak, they are very easy to miss

*completely fill out your report card with your catch before you land, you must also fill it out as soon as you start hooping. If you fish both flat and ambush style nets you must have a separate line filled out for each one. If you look at the back of the report card it will give you instructions on how to fill it out properly. If it's not filled out before you land there is a good chance you'll be going home with a citation.

*stay safe

*Please, please treat the wardens with respect, they are there to do their job. I have never had a bad experience with a Warden, most if not all of the experiences that we've had have been pleasant at times quiet humorous. Treat well and I guarantee you that you'll end your night well.

that's all I can think of for now, I'm sure others will chime in with additional tips.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
GregAndrew

And post your reports in the KAYAK FISHING "REPORTS" section.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Oxbeast1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Just wanted to reach out to the newbies and the veterans of hooping with the following info:

*First and foremost........You must have a new report card for the 2015-2016 season, the report card that you used last season is no longer valid. You can order your card online or at your local tackle shop (call before you go just to make sure they are an authorized retailer)

*Stay Safe

*Get all of your gear in order BEFORE you launch, best bet it to get it in order before you even leave your house. I can't tell you how many times I've seen kayakers show up at the launch unprepared and taking up the entire launch trying to setup their gear

*Make sure you have all of your required items with you before you leave your house; Lobster report card, measuring gauge, buoy lights, headlamp and a light pole for your kayak, hoop nets, etc.

*This isn't a must but you'll thank me later..........make sure you have at least two gauges. Keep one on a lanyard ready to use and another safely stored in your PFD or somewhere on your kayak. If you happen to lose your go-to gauge while on the water or misplace it you will have one stored close by. DON'T GET CAUGHT WITHOUT ONE.

*Stay safe

*Don't take 100' of rope for each net if you know you're going to hope 30' of water. I have all of my lines setup in 50' sections, if I hoop 30' I use a single 50' section, if I hoop 60' I'll add another 50' section. All of my lines have a loop on either end, this allows me to add or remove lines quickly

*don't forget that the limit is 7 spiny lobster(I forget the limit for both red, yellow and spider crabs but you can find it online) Always check your kayak for shorts, every so often you'll find one of those little boogers hiding in some corner of the kayak, they are very easy to miss

*completely fill out your report card with your catch before you land, you must also fill it out as soon as you start hooping. If you fish both flat and ambush style nets you must have a separate line filled out for each one. If you look at the back of the report card it will give you instructions on how to fill it out properly. If it's not filled out before you land there is a good chance you'll be going home with a citation.

*stay safe

*Please, please treat the wardens with respect, they are there to do their job. I have never had a bad experience with a Warden, most if not all of the experiences that we've had have been pleasant at times quiet humorous. Treat well and I guarantee you that you'll end your night well.

that's all I can think of for now, I'm sure others will chime in with additional tips.

Thank you for the post very helpful I might give it a go this year.

OScar
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
octico

Thanks for taking the time writing this up, very helpful information.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
MaclarenM
Stoked ON Fishing

Thanks for the share, its much appreciated.. as the tuna slows im def going after some bugs.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Phishphood

Thanks for the write up. Really helps us new guys
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
DanaPT

* I wouldn't forget a few beers in-between pulls. But I know some of you have spots where your in and out in 15 minutes with limits of big bugs.

"If it's not filled out before you land there is a good chance you'll be going home with a citation."

very true. I was stopped on my way to shore for the report card (still on the water). I had the previous nights catch logged but not the current nights catch, hadn't done it yet. Almost cost me a lot of money!

The fact I had my card filled out previously was what changed their mind.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

The limit on crabs is 35 in combination. Last season sucked on crabs...we did manage to get a few a couple of times but overall it was a terrible season...
Old 09-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Good stuff Jorge
Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

A Good Idea

It might be a good idea to write your name and phone # on your bouys. Just in case you have one that sinks out or gets kelped and pulled under.

....unless your a poacher and don't want to get caught, of course....
Old 09-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
It might be a good idea to write your name and phone # on your bouys. Just in case you have one that sinks out or gets kelped and pulled under.

....unless your a poacher and don't want to get caught, of course....
X2 on this one.

I lost a net and had it returned a week later, the fact that my buoy had specific marking on it saved me some $$$$

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #12
Lbcmxg

Does any one know if you can hoop from piers??? Waiting on my seat an paddle. Dude I got the kayak from is lagging on it. So was thinking of hitting belmont pier or the ones at the long beach light house.
Lbcmxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Some more lobster information if your interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbcmxg View Post
Does any one know if you can hoop from piers??? Waiting on my seat an paddle. Dude I got the kayak from is lagging on it. So was thinking of hitting belmont pier or the ones at the long beach light house.
Yes you can.

Lobster Information, Jim salazar is the special expert guest on Let's talk hookup.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
Junior

Next Saturday I'm planning on going kayak hooping for the first time. I'm thinking either long beach, Newport or Santamomica bay. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
004251948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

Watch out for sharks at night! !
Old 09-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

cool

Cool...Thanks for posting the archives Tony...it was a fun show.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #17
captnblood34

A gaff is good to have too in the event your line it too short and the tide takes your bouy under...

Solid write up
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #18
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Thanks Jorge

I got my lost trap back because of your suggestion to put my name and phone number on the buoy
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote