Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Mlpa closure gps overlay

Ive not really gotten a whole lot of chance to use my gps on my ff combo and dont really know much about them. I know you can download different maps and overlays for them. Is a map overlay of the closed areas out there or something we can be expecting soon?

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

Don't think that's going to be in the offering for a while unless one of the techie types here can do it and pass it along to the rest of us.

Here's a site that I found that I use for trails, topo etc. for my GPS units for land based activities:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

There are some forums associated with the site - maybe if someone sends the coordinates to one of the map makers there, they'd be up to the task.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

What FF are you using? the dfg has a moblie version you can use on your phone.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/m/MPA/Map

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Im using an older cuda 250s map. Im gonna check out that mobile version. I just thought that with all of the combined talents out there and how useful something like that would br, thar someone would already be in the process of doing something.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Caffeind

Hey Will, the main gps points/corners of the restricted areas are posted as coordinates on the DFG MPA site. In the mean time I would employ the "know before you go" approach and just manually plug those in to your Cuda for the areas you plan to fish in the near future.

I've done this on my little Garmin handheld but haven't needed them yet.
Still, the mobile app is handy.
In fact, I just noticed the "From Shore Only" language in the Upper Newport Bay SMCA.
R.I.P. NPH backbay yak bassin...at least the PCH bridge is an easy landmark.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Hey Will, the main gps points/corners of the restricted areas are posted as coordinates on the DFG MPA site. In the mean time I would employ the "know before you go" approach and just manually plug those in to your Cuda for the areas you plan to fish in the near future.

I've done this on my little Garmin handheld but haven't needed them yet.
Still, the mobile app is handy.
In fact, I just noticed the "From Shore Only" language in the Upper Newport Bay SMCA.
R.I.P. NPH backbay yak bassin...at least the PCH bridge is an easy landmark.
Yeah its funny, I think I may have been the first person to get a warning. First thing in the morning newyears day I was throwing plastics from my boat just on the other side of the brudge and was told about the back bay being part of the closer by oc sheriffs. I hate that you cant even practice c&r back there

Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

If you use a Garmin GPS its real easy to add a custom map generated from Google Earth. I made overlays of the MLPA and Conservation areas for San Diego, then saved them as .kmz files. Then I just plugged my Garmin Oregon into the computer and made a file "Garmin/CustomMaps" and copied the .kmz files there. Now when I turn on the gps, the maps are right there, with red boundaries for the MLPA areas and blue boundaries for the Conservation Areas. I know exactly where the borders are as I paddle through them.

Lowrance units are more of a pain in the ass - they are like the "Windows" of the gps world with everything locked down. It can be done though with an investment of $80 for a map programming tool to convert the .kmz file to a Lowrance friendly format.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Bank Robber has already put together files you can download to your computer and upload to your unit on Bloody Decks. Check the 3rd post down the page.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/mar...plotter-2.html
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
What FF are you using? the dfg has a moblie version you can use on your phone.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/m/MPA/Map
Just bookmarked the link on my phone, this is awesome. You can easily track where you are using the tracking feature. Now I really need that extra battery for my phone.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
Baja_Traveler

Yep - there you go. Mine are slightly different, in that when I'm in the MPA areas I see a red background, and a blue background for the SMCA areas, but his are actual plots and a little cleaner.

Thanks for the link!
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote