Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
wavster

San Quintin in August

I'm heading to SQ at the end of July, 1st week in August. I couldn't get the boat
that I wanted to charter, so I'm going solo, hoping to pick up a mothership. If not,
I'll probably just paddle out to some of the spots I believe are worth hitting. Is there
anyone here that has already chartered a boat that needs another body on board? If so, please reply off list (PM me).
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
SHARK BAIT

THAT IS ONE LONG PADDLE IF YOU ARE STAYING AT THE OLD MILL. DID YOU TRY TO GET A PANGA? I ALWAYS USE PEDRO'S, CAPTIN HECTOR IS GREAT. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED THE NUMBER.
SHARK BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
OUTBACK SPECIAL

I know the spot

If you are kayak fishing in SQ you want to fish these 2 areas. If you are fishing in the Bay, Do not launch fron the Old Mill Area. It is much easier to launch from the beach area know as playa de oro. from there it is an easy paddle accross the bay to an area in front of the oyster farm. drift that area for Halis and BSB. Bait is usually easy to find in that area as well. The other area you want to fish is a short drive south of SQ. It is a great spot for yellowtail and huge WSB as well as all you want sandbass and Calicos. It is the spot "he Mother of all Lamb was caught" There is a nice little concrete launch ramp there and the surf is usually not to large. For more info on this spot contact Adi or Brad They know it well.....
OUTBACK SPECIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
mjehlers

San Quintin in August

I'll be camping on the point July 27th thru the 31st. I'll probably be fishing solo since everyone else on the trip will be surfing.
mjehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTBACK SPECIAL View Post
The other area you want to fish is a short drive south of SQ. It is a great spot for yellowtail and huge WSB as well as all you want sandbass and Calicos. It is the spot "he Mother of all Lamb was caught" There is a nice little concrete launch ramp there and the surf is usually not to large.
The surf there SUCKS big time, sometimes breaking 4-6 feet - 100 yards from the beach. Sometimes it can lay down, but then there's the cold dirty water current that shuts down the entire area. I was there two weeks ago and the surf was PUMPING. The surf was big enough to get the surfers out. The water quality was brown and dirty - fished outside on a panga instead.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
madscientist

Come on Art, it's not that bad. As long as you have a trusty local rescue swimmer on hand.

Quote:
There is a nice little concrete launch ramp there and the surf is usually not to large.
The surf there is not to be trivialized. Last trip a friend got flipped over backwards by an oncoming wave and spent 30min in the water until a local diver swam out and helped him. Several others got wiped and lost gear, rods, and paddles. The kicker is that the surf was pretty mild that trip. I can give myself an adrenaline kick just thinking about that surf and I would never want to be responsible for anyone else trying it.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
OUTBACK SPECIAL

I Agree

It is quite the washing machine and should not be taken lightly.
OUTBACK SPECIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
wavster

Thanks to all for the info - I can handle the biggest surf - on my 6' 3" Rusty, but most know
how an eXtreme handles actual wave riding.

When I was there I found some places that looked great for fish, but definitely not easily
accessible by kayak due to distance from the launch or big surf areas.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
aguachico

The best way to fish SQ and the entire area is the way Dave did it. Go to SQ, rent a panga and tell them what you want to do. Kelly of KM has yaks and knows that area best. He's also a surfer and will steer you away from any non-yak surf. SAn Martin, the 6spot and the 240 reef hold much more WSB, YT and Hali then the kelp along the shore. If the that were not true and the pangas would be there instead of at the island. The shore fishery falls prey to commercial netting.

The nets are another reason you have to be careful as they are sometimes set inside the kelp and roll in the surf.

So, do your homework. Go with an experienced person. and always always always stop at the El Recreo taco stand in Maneadero - it's 1k south of the La Buf turn off. It's on the west side of the highway. Order the queso tacos 2 carne, 2 pastor and you will never look at another taco the same way.

If you want a sit down breakfast "Jalisco" is 1/2k south of El Receo. West side of the mex1.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:26 AM   #10
wavster

Art, thanks for the eatery suggestions...

When I was there a few weeks ago, we stopped at a place (El Rodeo?)in SQ. When we saw the veterinarian
next door, we opted for another eatery...as it turns out, it supposed to be the best
place in town...
Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
'Cuda

I fished the ramp south of SQ 10 times from June last year to Feb. this year and made it out safely each time.....the largest swell was 8ft. at the bouy but this time of the year are usually ankle slappers.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote