Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
linghunter
skunk

Fishing in American Samoa and Kauai

Hi all , I am going on vacation for a couple of weeks and will be in Kauai and Samoa . I plan to take a couple poles with me to try a little yak fishing in a new spot . I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer any tips on making bait , what type of lures to use ,and also set ups and even any kind of froze bait that might be good to use . Any info shared would be very helpfull . Thanks Paul
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Lit-up1

Try a skirted Ballyhoo(dead bait) pre-rigged-drag that around and see what happens-
also hook up with some locals and see what they use-
Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
wavster

Maybe Blue Water Jon can help - He's fished Hawaii a few times, I believe...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
h2ofishfo

best bet is 2 sav your money here talk 2 the guys there & buy there overpriced crap what the hell u are on vacation right? fshin on the yak w/mai tai
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
best bet is 2 sav your money here talk 2 the guys there & buy there overpriced crap what the hell u are on vacation right? fshin on the yak w/mai tai
Good Advise.

There is a Wal-Mart on Kauai and that's where the local boys get their tackle. I think you'll find that trolling Kroc's and Rapala's will suit your needs. Watch out though - you might even run into an inshore ONO...

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
'Cuda

Go to any supermarket to the fish department and they'll have fresh sardines for trolling.....and try chumming. I fished Kona 4 days last Nov. for nothing. I kept getting these hits where there'd be 3-4 clicks and I'd reel in to find the bait severed cleanly just behind the head. On my last day there I'm packing for the airport and I look out and see these yellow flashes and I grab my binos and see mahi-mahi jumping out of the water feeding right where I was fishing......It's tricky there.....good luck.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
linghunter
skunk

Cuda , I remember reading your post about the mahi's when you retuned , and in general it sounds like it is going to be difficult to catch fish . That being said I do believe the Mai Tai's will help take the edge off . I'll give it my best shot and ask the locals for tips .Thanks for all the suggestions .
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote