Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
Ggiannig89

Dow riggers

How many of you guys use down riggers for Fishing salt? How do you like them for trolling? If you use down rigger how high would you rank them for must haves on your kayak? Are the a pain in the ass after you’ve used them a few times? How long does it take to get used to using them? Lastly what kind of catches have you made while down rigger trolling? Would love to hear your guys take on this style of Fishing.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Fiskadoro

Downriggers do not really work on a kayak because you do not have enough inertia to properly use them and as soon as you stop paddling they pull the yak backwards.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Saba Slayer

Downriggers

It's easier to use a downrigger on a kayak when you're peddling a Hobie since you're pretty much hands free...It's still a little tricky...like patting your head and rubbing your tummy...LOL...the deal is to get your drag set so that the lure and flasher pull out line as it's going down but they don't pull so hard that it releases the line from the clip.
I only use it in fresh water for trout but I'm sure If I lived in Nor Cal I'd use it for Salmon trolling. It's fun when you get hit while using the rigger.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
It's easier to use a downrigger on a kayak when you're peddling a Hobie since you're pretty much hands free...It's still a little tricky...like patting your head and rubbing your tummy...LOL..
Agreed.

Peddling you can utilize them. I like those little Scotty's but made my own cheesy system for kayaking. I spooled mine with 80 spectra, and I use smaller two pound cannonball bounce balling weights.

I used that system off Dana one morning and got towed straight out five miles by a Monster 300+ Thresher that I finally just had to cut off. I think that is the last time i actually used it as a downrigger. Fortunately the rig doubles as a light anchor system with that Spider weight/grappling hook thing I made, and I've used it more for that then downrigging.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-06-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote