Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
King Saba

Zmans storage options?

So during my last trip I went through several fish, amassing over 30 hard hits on only TWO zman lures. Long story short, I think I'm going to start using more Zman lures. For those of you who like the lure brand, and I know you guys are out there , what tackle boxes do you guys like to use for Zman storage? And, I'm talking about taking the lure out of its package and having it sit in the tackle box. I've had issues in the past where the zmans react to my other plastics and rendering all of them useless (forgot to separate). Thanks.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
pingpangdang

https://youtu.be/y1wkWQPMcPs

Zman storage video.

I have some magswimz 8" and heroz 10" for yellowtail...seen some landed with the magswimz earlier this year. Haven't fished it enough but very flexible and wormy. Will bust them out when the fishing heats up.uploadfromtaptalk1465779876964.jpguploadfromtaptalk1465779888039.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Zman storage

They work fine in all my Plano boxes. The problem is you can't mix them in any box where they can touch or come in direct contact with ALL other brands of soft plastic baits.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
So during my last trip I went through several fish, amassing over 30 hard hits on only TWO zman lures. Long story short, I think I'm going to start using more Zman lures. For those of you who like the lure brand, and I know you guys are out there , what tackle boxes do you guys like to use for Zman storage? And, I'm talking about taking the lure out of its package and having it sit in the tackle box. I've had issues in the past where the zmans react to my other plastics and rendering all of them useless (forgot to separate). Thanks.
I was watching a fishing show the other day and the host had what looked like a notebook with pages that were plastic pockets and it looked like each pocket held a lure or two. It looked like a three ring binder so you could remove pages or add them as needed for what ever fishing you were doing. I'm trying to find that because the boxes I am using keep getting water in them and things keep getting corroded and they are bulky.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
were you using chatterbaits?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
King Saba

Thanks pingpangdang. I'm looking to use the larger products in place of big hammers since they can be pricey when the bass are ripping your baits apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
They work fine in all my Plano boxes. The problem is you can't mix them in any box where they can touch or come in direct contact with ALL other brands of soft plastic baits.
Yeah. I lost a good amount of plastics from that common mishap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
were you using chatterbaits?
T-rig. And, I've tried using zipper pouches for storing baits, but the salt eventually gets to the zippers.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
Fishin' Magician

I've Beene using the Z-man swim baits for the last couple of months out in the bay's and they really work well. So well in fact that I've still got the same bait and have caught several fish over 2 or 3 trips and it still looks as good as when I first pulled it out of the package. No marks, no rips, no tears...., it looks brand new.

I store them in their original packaging, but I would like to find something to put them in. I've seen the same videos on YouTube with the three ring binder looking contraption and was thinking that I'd try and see if there was a salt water proof version of that.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 AM   #8
Harry Hill

Quote:
you didn't say which flavor zmans you were using. How am I supposed to empty your fishing hole if I don't know which flavor to use?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #9
Baja_Traveler

Unless they are making binder clips out of 316 stainless or some super durable plastic I doubt you could find one that would last a month.

Zman is the only plastic I use, and I have 20-25 packages of them in one of those clear waterproof boxes from West Marine. Stashes easily under the seat of my PA. I figure if the worst should happen, it floats and I wont be losing sixty bucks in Zman's like you might in a binder.
When I get a new pattern, I take two out of the package and rig it up to a lead head, then put it back in. That way there is always a rigged one waiting to be tied on.
If you've ever used Zman's, you know how they can be a pain to rig since they are so tough. I'd rather do it in the comfort of my kitchen counter than on the water when I really need it...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #10
Dave Legacy

I have a couple dedicated tackle trays to Z-Mans. The thick plastic Planos work fine, but the thinner Flambeau trays I have tried all warped. A lot of guys just keep them in the original bags.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
MrPatrick

Zmans storage options?

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-...ct/1206011118/
I like these and they have lasted years. I keep the plastics in their original bags and put them in the sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
King Saba

Thanks for the suggestions again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
you didn't say which flavor zmans you were using. How am I supposed to empty your fishing hole if I don't know which flavor to use?
lol I was using no scent. And, it's 2.75mi from the launch to the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Unless they are making binder clips out of 316 stainless or some super durable plastic I doubt you could find one that would last a month.

Zman is the only plastic I use, and I have 20-25 packages of them in one of those clear waterproof boxes from West Marine. Stashes easily under the seat of my PA. I figure if the worst should happen, it floats and I wont be losing sixty bucks in Zman's like you might in a binder.
When I get a new pattern, I take two out of the package and rig it up to a lead head, then put it back in. That way there is always a rigged one waiting to be tied on.
If you've ever used Zman's, you know how they can be a pain to rig since they are so tough. I'd rather do it in the comfort of my kitchen counter than on the water when I really need it...
I hear ya'. The damn plastic kept coming off the screw on my Gamakatsu EWG. Super durable stuff though. Over a dozen fish and the plastic is still good.

Would you happen to know the name of the plastic box from West Marine?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #13
Harry Hill

[QUOTE=King Saba;263319]Thanks for the suggestions again.

by flavor I was meaning the patterns. I look at all these different patterns and have no idea what I should be using. So far my best bait has been a white fluke. But I read one guy killing them on a watermelon, or a pumpkin spice or who knows what. If I was fly fishing I would try to match the hatch but I don't know what the fish are preying on in salt.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
buddha

Just keep them in their plastic bags but put them in a dedicated dry bag with only the z mans in there and your jigheads.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
Orca Winfrey

[QUOTE=Harry Hill;263326]
Quote:

by flavor I was meaning the patterns. I look at all these different patterns and have no idea what I should be using. So far my best bait has been a white fluke. But I read one guy killing them on a watermelon, or a pumpkin spice or who knows what. If I was fly fishing I would try to match the hatch but I don't know what the fish are preying on in salt.
Hey Harry,

I've had good luck with the Motor Oil and Suicidal Rooster colors. Saba was using the Suicidal Rooster, I think. They all seem to work well. The small slimswimz are killer on spotties too. They're small but big fish seem to like them too. Sports Chalet used to be my go to place for them since Turners doesn't carry them. Now I have to go to BPS or mail order them.

Last edited by Orca Winfrey; 06-14-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #16
Baja_Traveler

Quote:

I hear ya'. The damn plastic kept coming off the screw on my Gamakatsu EWG. Super durable stuff though. Over a dozen fish and the plastic is still good.

Would you happen to know the name of the plastic box from West Marine?
Plano Bait Locker, Model Number 4641

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #17
pingpangdang

New from icast...for smaller plastics as the magswimz and heroz don't come in bags

https://youtu.be/c1gvm_F5zCM

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote