Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
Angh
Junior

Kayak Colors

Hey everybody,
So I am new to this whole sport and after borrowing kayaks for a few trips I have decided to make the investment . I'm looking at the Malibu Stealth 14 and am wondering how much of a factor color is. Is it true that brighter colors spook fish and attract sharks? I have heard those rumors but I also think that a bright color would be safer around large boats. What do you all think?
Angh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
spudz

Color is a personal choice. I think kayak color is a non-factor to fish/sharks. Personally, I think they rely on other senses more than vision. But, if I were navigating a boat around kayakers... I'd certainly see the yellow or mango colored kayak before I’d see the camo/blue/green yaks. If you choose a hard to see color, definitely use the wind socks/flags so others can see you... you may opt to do this regardless of color of your yak.

Happy paddling!

Last edited by spudz; 01-31-2014 at 08:42 AM.
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

If you think about it I think evolution and natural selection have pretty much determined what the best color is for things that lie on the surface. Many fish are white on their bellies so that they blend in with the bright surface above.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angh View Post
Hey everybody,
So I am new to this whole sport and after borrowing kayaks for a few trips I have decided to make the investment . I'm looking at the Malibu Stealth 14 and am wondering how much of a factor color is. Is it true that brighter colors spook fish and attract sharks? I have heard those rumors but I also think that a bright color would be safer around large boats. What do you all think?
Personally I like bright colors, easier to be seen by boaters. I have seen great fish caught from all colors of boats. Go with what you will like more.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
StinkyMatt

Pink is really HOT for trout!

I know that RAINBOW colored kayaks catch a LOT of fish......ask Ful Rac...he has one.

Seriously....I dont think that the fish care. The safety/ visibility by boaters part of a bright colored kayak, that makes perfect sense.

Have fun shopping.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
skiptomyzoo

Discovery has two videos addressing similar that I saw a while back.

That said I am sure there have been tests by others as well.

Anyhow for them, yellow seems to be the only conclusive thing on attracting them (as it was in both tests).

Personally I would think the bigger factor to account for is being spotted by other boaters.
skiptomyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Fish effected by color?

You think that might be the case?
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
If you think about it I think evolution and natural selection have pretty much determined what the best color is for things that lie on the surface. Many fish are white on their bellies so that they blend in with the bright surface above.
There you go thinking again
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
If it wiggles it will get bit!!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
ctfphoto

I have a red kayak, very visible. My six year old son has a green kayak, almost invisible on the water, not a safe choice if you want to be seen.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Pink is really HOT for trout!

I know that RAINBOW colored kayaks catch a LOT of fish......ask Ful Rac...he has one.

Seriously....I dont think that the fish care. The safety/ visibility by boaters part of a bright colored kayak, that makes perfect sense.

Have fun shopping.
Not only is pink great for trout I also have heard that it's the only color in the spectrum that will detour a GWS
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
I have a red kayak, very visible. My six year old son has a green kayak, almost invisible on the water, not a safe choice if you want to be seen.
Sooo.....

...you don't like your kid?
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
TJones

check out shark week

not sure what season or episode, but they go into detail about sharks being attracted to certain colors . primarily red and yum yum yellow . the military has even done extensive research on this topic . obviously these two colors are probably safer due to the fact that you can be seen better . so there are trade offs . i would not recommend these colors at malibu . . i think it is a safe bet that the military does not use yellow pfd's anymore .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #14
Angh
Junior

Thanks a bunch for the input guys, I thought about it some more and, specifically evolution, decided white was the color I wanted. I may need to put a flag up, however. But white seems like it would blend in with the surface a little better. So wish my luck on my first trip out
Angh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
not sure what season or episode, but they go into detail about sharks being attracted to certain colors . primarily red and yum yum yellow . the military has even done extensive research on this topic . obviously these two colors are probably safer due to the fact that you can be seen better . so there are trade offs . i would not recommend these colors at malibu . . i think it is a safe bet that the military does not use yellow pfd's anymore .
WE still use yellow..........
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
chxh8me

I am on my second yellow kayak, and spend most of my time in Malibu. Haven't gotten eaten yet. I'll repost in here again if I'm still alive after this coming summer.

Even if you have a white kayak, I'm pretty sure it's still going to cast a dark silhouette.

Unless you go this route:
http://www.mediabuydesign.com/underw...ifications.htm
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #17
chxh8me

Apparently tan is a bad choice too.
I'm sure it's more of a "wrong place at the wrong time" sort of thing. But whatever makes you feel the safest possible, go for it.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...a-state-beach/

And apparently hammerheads prefer green over orange/yellow. haha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoiWtj-N49w
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
spudz

and white...

http://www.falsebayco.com/encounters...-shark-attack/

and blue...

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/05...er-rescue.html

and red...

http://blog.austinkayak.com/2010/08/...-shark-attack/

Get what you like. Brighter colors can easily be seen by boaters/others, the color of your kayak probably isn't a factor in shark/kayak encounters (maybe there are more yellow kayaks than any other color thus a yellow kayak is likely to have a shark encounter). Just be safe and paddle w/ others

Last edited by spudz; 02-03-2014 at 12:41 PM.
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
jorluivil

Kayak color is not going to work as well at being seen as say a flag or a light on a pole, just because a kayak is yellow it doesn't mean that someone is going to see you. While I agree that brighter colors are easier to spot there is still one factor to consider, that is the human factor. If the person at the helm of a boat isn't paying attention kayak color will not matter..................neither will the flag or the light on the pole.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Kayak color is not going to work as well at being seen as say a flag or a light on a pole, just because a kayak is yellow it doesn't mean that someone is going to see you. While I agree that brighter colors are easier to spot there is still one factor to consider, that is the human factor. If the person at the helm of a boat isn't paying attention kayak color will not matter..................neither will the flag or the light on the pole.
As for Kayak colors, if the shark is looking at you from below, and thinks you are a meal, I seriously doubt they are worried about color. They are thinking that's one big meal right there. Watch Shark week when it comes out, they discuss this stuff all the time.

When on the water have your horn, whistle, or any other sound device on you as well. I was in Mission Bay at in Quivera Basin by the bait barge and some rich snob with his 40' yacht was plowing down toward me. I waved my paddle, yelled, and he finally changed direction. The Life guards even called out on the Loud speaker that he was going too fast in the area. Watch out for you don't expect others to watch out for you.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote