Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
goldenglory18

Hobie Compass - Recent Updates?

Anyone out there have any more recent updates on the Hobie Compass?

The boss finally gave the thumbs-up on a new boat for next year and I desperately want to get my hands free. The Hobies have always intrigued me and the Compass is an interesting concept for sure. Large enough for off-shore, small enough to car-top. I'm tickled at the idea of this boat.

So, anyone put a bunch of miles on their new boats yet? Anyone able to adequately compare the Compass and the Outback? PA is a deal/back breaker for me so its down to those two boats. If you have hands on experience with these, I'm super curious on what you think....

- Kenny
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

One thing I noted from another person who tested out the compass is that the rudder control is not nearly as responsive as on the Revo or outback.

I never had a chance to test out the compass, but I will say that it took a lot of fiddling to get the outback exactly where I want it in terms of seat position for comfortable peddling all day. I definitely would not want any less customizability on that seat.

I would be curious to hear from someone who has tried to surf launch a Compass. I had posted earlier about how you really have to work to get an outback in and out of the surf compared to something long and lean like a Revo or a Trident.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
One thing I noted from another person who tested out the compass is that the rudder control is not nearly as responsive as on the Revo or outback.
I heard that the Compass you can turn on a dime. Are you referring to that or something else?

Quote:
I never had a chance to test out the compass, but I will say that it took a lot of fiddling to get the outback exactly where I want it in terms of seat position for comfortable peddling all day. I definitely would not want any less customizability on that seat.
I've heard that as well. The Compass seat leaves a lot to be desired. Although coming from what I am, its going to be an improvement no matter what.

Quote:
I would be curious to hear from someone who has tried to surf launch a Compass. I had posted earlier about how you really have to work to get an outback in and out of the surf compared to something long and lean like a Revo or a Trident.
Same as above. I'm launching a 13'5" plastic yacht. Just about anything other than a PA is going to be better than my Ride....
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
GTboosted

None of the hobies turn on a dime. They all suck, even with an upgraded rudder . With a paddle you can turn as if you were on a swivel.

It's all good though, the mirage drive more than makes up for the shortfalls.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Could not disagree more about turning radius. My outback turns just fine. I couldn’t imagine needing to turn any faster than I currently do. If anything I have to be careful that I’m not turning too Sharp when I’m trolling.

To be clear, what I meant was the actual controls apparently are not as good. One thing I’ve noted that’s very important is having a very light touch on the rudder if you’re trying to do something while pedaling out to a destination or trying to stay stationary in the current.

What I’ve heard, not experienced, is that the compass doesn’t have as responsive of a control between your hand and the rudder.

I will add that because of this entire experience, it’s only mostly hands-free, not completely hands-free. I have found that getting one hand is still a huge improvement because it means I can drink a coffee, eat a sandwich, Stow stuff that got thrown around while fishing, but it’s a little more tricky to do something like tying a rig without suddenly veering way off course
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
NICKWORN

I beg to differ Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
None of the hobies turn on a dime. They all suck, even with an upgraded rudder . With a paddle you can turn as if you were on a swivel.

It's all good though, the mirage drive more than makes up for the shortfalls.
With an upgraded rudder i find the Outback to be able to turn quite nice. Works when i over shoot a Lobster Hoop. Of course we all know any paddle kayak will turn better, thats a no brainer, but the revo and outback turn just fine for our application.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Ddwineguy

Hobie Compass - Recent Updates?

Quote:
Could not disagree more about turning radius. My outback turns just fine. I couldn’t imagine needing to turn any faster than I currently do. If anything I have to be careful that I’m not turning too Sharp when I’m trolling.

To be clear, what I meant was the actual controls apparently are not as good. One thing I’ve noted that’s very important is having a very light touch on the rudder if you’re trying to do something while pedaling out to a destination or trying to stay stationary in the current.

What I’ve heard, not experienced, is that the compass doesn’t have as responsive of a control between your hand and the rudder.

I will add that because of this entire experience, it’s only mostly hands-free, not completely hands-free. I have found that getting one hand is still a huge improvement because it means I can drink a coffee, eat a sandwich, Stow stuff that got thrown around while fishing, but it’s a little more tricky to do something like tying a rig without suddenly veering way off course

I bought a Compass. Turns sharper than any other Hobie. I have owned an outback, Revo and pa. The rudder control is a finger tip dial. It is a little less intuitive than what is on the other Hobies.

Haven’t surf launched yet. But is a very stable boat and really quick, if you add turbo fins. Very little chop over the bow, much like a Revo. I did add the rectangular hatch and some map pockets, due to its lack of storage.

It is lowrance transducer ready, but you have to drill all your own holes to run the wiring.

The seat is comfortable. A bit wider than a Vantage seat and you really have to crank on the straps to adjust the lumbar, but once you do it is nice.

The reduced weight is great for me as I have a bad knee and 68 pounds (hull weight without seat and drive) is a lot easier for me to throw around.

Definitely worth a look for those interested in a new addition. To outfit it right it is only a couple of hundred dollars less than a stock outback, so it is not really a much cheaper option.

What I like about the Compass is it’s weight, it’s lack of Hull chop, it’s mobility, and it’s openness in the cockpit. Super roomy.

What I don’t like is it’s lack of storage.

Here are two photos of the upgrades. Rectangular hatch, map pockets and moved the stock hatch upfront for FF battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddwineguy View Post
I bought a Compass. Turns sharper than any other Hobie. I have owned an outback, Revo and pa. The rudder control is a finger tip dial. It is a little less intuitive than what is on the other Hobies.
That's what I've read. Glad to hear the same from an owner (too much internet expert feedback and not enough from actual owners!)

Quote:
Haven’t surf launched yet. But is a very stable boat and really quick, if you add turbo fins. Very little chop over the bow, much like a Revo. I did add the rectangular hatch and some map pockets, due to its lack of storage.

It is lowrance transducer ready, but you have to drill all your own holes to run the wiring.
Awesome. I'd definitely opt for adding the turbo fins, and I don't mind at all about having to mod the boat for wiring. I actually prefer to do it myself out of love for the process.

Quote:
The seat is comfortable. A bit wider than a Vantage seat and you really have to crank on the straps to adjust the lumbar, but once you do it is nice.
2" wider I heard. That's gotta feel like a lay-z-boy to some people!

Quote:
The reduced weight is great for me as I have a bad knee and 68 pounds (hull weight without seat and drive) is a lot easier for me to throw around.
Great to hear, I have the same issues (young man with old knees/ankles.) If I can't comfortably car top it, its not the right boat for me.

Quote:
Definitely worth a look for those interested in a new addition. To outfit it right it is only a couple of hundred dollars less than a stock outback, so it is not really a much cheaper option.
True, but I LOVE the idea of an open cockpit that is ready for customizing. To me, that's the most appealing part of this boat (that and the Mirage drive, of course)

Quote:
What I like about the Compass is it’s weight, it’s lack of Hull chop, it’s mobility, and it’s openness in the cockpit. Super roomy.

What I don’t like is it’s lack of storage.
Hmmm, what can we do about the storage issues? It's a 400lbs capacity boat, so there has to be options.

Quote:
Here are two photos of the upgrades. Rectangular hatch, map pockets and moved the stock hatch upfront for FF battery.
Great choices. I'd do something similar, and add extra foam in the hull to better support standing. A few rails, 8" FWD hatch, and a FF and were in business!
Old 12-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
With an upgraded rudder i find the Outback to be able to turn quite nice. Works when i over shoot a Lobster Hoop. Of course we all know any paddle kayak will turn better, thats a no brainer, but the revo and outback turn just fine for our application.

Yeah don't get me wrong, they aren't very bad but they do suck lol

Either way, I own 3 Hobies. I too overshoot my buoys or whatever I marked on my ff...never had the problem with my tarpon.

I won't go back to a paddle yak though.

Also, turning has to be done at speed. But there's nothing that can done about that. Nature of how the rudder works.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
Buddhaa64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Anyone out there have any more recent updates on the Hobie Compass?

The boss finally gave the thumbs-up on a new boat for next year and I desperately want to get my hands free. The Hobies have always intrigued me and the Compass is an interesting concept for sure. Large enough for off-shore, small enough to car-top. I'm tickled at the idea of this boat.

So, anyone put a bunch of miles on their new boats yet? Anyone able to adequately compare the Compass and the Outback? PA is a deal/back breaker for me so its down to those two boats. If you have hands on experience with these, I'm super curious on what you think....

- Kenny

Not a Compass owner, but was very-very close to buying one in October. I was dead set on the Compass as my first Hobie. I was coming from an X-Factor. The Compass seemed like the best option - wide platform, decent payload capacity, efficient hull design, and easily car topped. I spent a few hours testing out the Compass, Revo 13, and Outback during three different demos. What it really came down to for me was quality. Switching back and forth from the Outback/Revo and the Compass, the cost savings of the Compass are really exploited.

I chose the Outback over the Compass for two main reasons: rudder control and vantage seat. The rudder control on the Compass felt cheap compared to the Outback/Revo. It also requires constant adjustment, but tightening the rudder lines could fix that. The seats are not even comparable - the vantage seat blows the Compass seat out of the water. The vantage seat is easily adjustable and removable, but it also feels more substantial. By substantial I mean that in the seat of the Compass you can feel a tad flex when peddling at a higher tempo compared to no flex in the vantage seat. Also, the location of the straps securing the Compass seat were not the easiest to get to, at least for me. So if car topping, clipping in and removing the seat would take a little more time.

A few more things to add:
Hull slap - yes the Outback has hull slap, but it is really not that big of a deal.
The extras you get with the Outback (storage trays and map pockets) are a huge plus. You may not need them, but having them is awesome. If car topping the Compass, you will have to add handles unless you have the finger strength of a rock climber because gripping the molded in handles and lifting over head seems like a pain. Once you get to modifying the Compass, it adds up quickly. Adding the square hatch, handles, turbo fins, and 180 drive (highly recommend) you are in Outback territory. At that point, the reason I would justify getting the Compass (cost savings) is no longer a factor. Honestly though, it is still a great kayak, but I do feel the Outback is the better overall kayak for the money.

Good luck on the research!

Anthony
Buddhaa64 is offline   Reply With Quote