Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
cowboybill

Fish finder / hummingbird Q

I am looking at upgrading FF...

Hummingbird seems to have the right combo of power, screen clarity, dual freq, etc, for the money in my price range.

But one thing I dont like is; Hummingbird uses a plug system that allows for expansion to add more gadgets (nice), but from what I see, if you dont add the gadgets, the connectors are left exposed to corrosion...

The guy at West Marine pointed this out and said some guys are smothering dialectric grease (mess) or silicone (tough to clean later)..

Have any of you with hummingbirds had a problem with this??

Thanks
Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
buttchaser
Float Tuber

I've been using the Humminbird For about 5 years, The connectors do get corroded ... I usually splash the FF with fresh water after each trip Dry it off and apply the dialectric grease to the connectors and the expansion slots ...

With that being said if your going to purchase humminbird for $400 or less , Purchase it at west marine and get the insurance on it........

Last edited by buttchaser; 07-15-2010 at 06:54 AM.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
StinkyMatt

Put on a rubber

I just purchased a Hummingbird 718 and am thinking about the same issue. I am trying to figure out some kind of a rubber like plug tu put on or in the connectors. Have not made anything yet. Keep us posted if you figure it out, I'll do the same.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Hummingbird has plastic plugs for all your unused connectors. They will send them to you for free if you ask. A little dialetric grease on the unused plugs and a piece of Gorilla Tape would probably work just as well.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
cowboybill

That makes it easy!

That seems easy enough! Nobody at the shops even mentioned rubber plugs (I was thinking...why dont they make rubber plugs to cover that!?!?)

Thanks for the input!

cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Deamon

My Hummingbird's got only a straight dark thin line running down the middle of the screen after it's been powered up. The things brand new and only lightly salt sprayed. It's hooked up to AA battery's. Any ideas? Does anyone bench test locally?
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
steveooo

I have a Garmin that has an extra plug in the back that I figured I would never use, so i filled the whole thing with goop. No corrosion, no worries, no chance of me ever being able to use an external antenna if i ever did want to
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote