Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

SD Oceans WSB Derby June 2007

I'm attending a steering committee meeting tonight for June's WSB Derby. I remember last year it was a little difficult getting an official weight and turning in the head at the same time, I'll lobby for a better method. Are there any other suggestions or comments from folks here?

Check out some previous winners at the bottom of this link:
http://www.kintera.org/htmlcontent.asp?cid=65786

Last edited by FISHIONADO; 04-17-2007 at 06:23 AM.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
madscientist

Not quite sure I understand your question, Dave. I had one weighed at Dana landing, then took the fish over to Hubbs. Wasn't a big deal. Can they weigh the fish at Hubbs? That would be the easiest.

Regardless, looking forward to this years derby. Just hope Ken gives us a little time to feel like we are in it before he knocks it out of the park.

The only rules change I'd like to see would be to allow fish from south of the border.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
FISHIONADO

I weighed mine at Seaforth but then they didn't want to give me the paperwork until I gave them the head. I had caught it the night before and was on my way to work and had to cut off the head to get my paperwork. Maybe it was just the Seaforth guys didn't understand the rules but I heard a few other folks had similar problems. It was all good except I didn't place in the money... congrats again to Ken for last year's win.

Here is a link with rules and registration info:
http://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/home/...jJTK2OJLoI5KmL
Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Thanks Dave!

Brad, only Iceman could win the same tourney twice!

I weighed mine at Dana Landing, no head required.

I have turned in all of my heads at Hubbs, great crew there!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
DBITE

FISHIONADO,

Curious as to how the meeting went. I had planned to go but could not make the 6pm time.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBITE View Post
FISHIONADO,

Curious as to how the meeting went. I had planned to go but could not make the 6pm time.
It went well, but I was the only person out of 10 RSVP's that showed up so it was just me and Noelle/Courtney. The derby was pushed out a month from May to June because Hubbs scientists recommended it, more fish should be caught in June than May. I asked why the southern limit was the Mexican border, Noelle said one of the Hubbs people determined that and it may have had something to do with permits, permission, etc. We tried to figure out a better way to collect the official weights and the heads at the same time per the rules. Currently the stamp from the wiegh station certifies the weight and that you turned in the head. I explained how I caught my fish in the evening and took it to Seaforth the next morning on my way to work. After it was weighed the guy said "now leave me the head" so I can stamp your card. I was late for work and didn't have any knives so I had Mario at Sportsman's Seafoods cut it off for me. The entire intent of the derby is to collect more heads for research so it is important that they receive the head. We decided to leave it as it is, and just tell people to be aware that they will need to leave the head at the weigh station. This is a really good program and I hope we get a lot of support from the kayak community to ensure our kids are catching WSB well into the future.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
madscientist

Thanks for the info. This is a great event that couples competitive fishing with the scientific research of Hubbs: a win-win for all involved. I too hope the yak community represents in force and once again sweeps the top spots.