Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
Pescador Paul
Junior

Lower Back Pain

After fishing Mission Bay on my Cobra Fish n Dive Sunday, I experienced intense back pain the following morning. Any recommendations for a different seat or other accessories that could help avoid such a situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Pescador Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador Paul View Post
After fishing Mission Bay on my Cobra Fish n Dive Sunday, I experienced intense back pain the following morning. Any recommendations for a different seat or other accessories that could help avoid such a situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
How often do you yak? Had this problem before? Lot's of better seats on the market now, but if you do little yaking you need to build those muscles up some. Shorter sessions working up to full days. Get in training. Or buy a Hobie with a new seat and use your legs. Leg muscles are stronger.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
kayakfisherman

Paul,

Here's what I did years ago. Go find a used boogie board. Use a saw and cut a seat pattern that will fit on top of where you FiveNDive seat goes. Make sure not to cover the scuppers holes. Glue it down with MarineGoop. Now place whatever seat you want over it. Believe me, I know what back pain is all about.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
DanaPT

https://www.spine-health.com/wellnes...ck-pain-relief

Stretch it out before... hard to do during.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Baja_Traveler

My solution to sciatic back attacks was to buy a Hobie PA for the best seat on the market. If I still had my scupper pro, I wouldn't be kayaking any longer.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
This may sound stupid.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador Paul View Post

Thanks,

Paul
But are your straps tight enough to support your back
I fish a cobra fish and dive I'm good for about 7hrs
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
FISH11

It often has to do with how you adjust the straps for the seat back. don't want to be leaning back too far or too forward. It needs to be high enough on the back for support (about 1/2 way up your back, definitely above your waist), also if your PFD is in the way of the seat back, then you need a better PFD (NRS Chinook). If you're not seating in the right angle. then your back is going to be sore from the paddling and not from just sitting.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
skrilla

On the subject, any experience with lumbar support products for paddle kayak seats?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
FISH11

I tried a add on Thermarest inflatable lunbar support but it was no real help. I guess it would depend if your problem is more related to the curvature of the spine at the lower back. I have found that a long back that raps around the body more and the correct angle you adjust the back straps helps more. I did find the lower cushion, if it has more padding or has an inflatable cushion to be a better add on. I like the Seairsport Pacific Angler or COD Spider Angler seat they are almost as comfortable as my Vantage seat on my Hobie Revo 13.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
RobFish
Massive Member

Hey PP,
Lots of good advice here, specifically related to the kayak. Seats, angles, changing your PFD, buy a Hobie, and the like.

I can relate to back pain. Former motorcycle road racer, so tucked up in a ball for aerodynamics for years. Compound that with driving, desk job, and kayak fishing, here's what I found to be the best thing out there...besides buying a Hobie.

No kidding...inversion table. I bought a used Teeter HangUp on Clist for $200.
Priceless in every way. Best of all it helps in all aspects of your life, and not just in the kayak. Don't forget to stretch. It's free. My guess is like so many of us, tight hamstrings. They're not just the back of your legs, they attach to your back.

Hope this helps you get back on the water, and back in the game.

RobFish
Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #11
tattuna

X2 on the inversion table. I have a herniated disc L5/S1. Couldn't walk for 4 months last year. Scary! Don't mess around with back pain. I had pains that weren't really bad and I ignored it. Woke up one morning and I was paralyzed and dealing with an insane amount of pain. Don't tough it out. Get a good seat, use the inversion table, strengthen your core, and stretch. Supporting yourself with your core is key. Use your abs to support yourself while sitting. Yoga has been working wonders for me as well. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post
X2 on the inversion table. I have a herniated disc L5/S1. Couldn't walk for 4 months last year. Scary! Don't mess around with back pain. I had pains that weren't really bad and I ignored it. Woke up one morning and I was paralyzed and dealing with an insane amount of pain. Don't tough it out. Get a good seat, use the inversion table, strengthen your core, and stretch. Supporting yourself with your core is key. Use your abs to support yourself while sitting. Yoga has been working wonders for me as well. Good luck!
X2 On the yoga. It's pretty much a necessity after a long outing on the water. Just got back from 2.5 day mothership, sore back like never before. Some yoga stretches last night and my back feels good as new.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #13
Dirty Curti

This helped me go from a couple of hours on the water = lots of back pain to 9 hours on the water and almost no pain.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ar-support-kit

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #14
Pescador Paul
Junior

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I plan to try a different seat to see if that makes a difference.

Paul
Pescador Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Paul,

Here's what I did years ago. Go find a used boogie board. Use a saw and cut a seat pattern that will fit on top of where you FiveNDive seat goes. Make sure not to cover the scuppers holes. Glue it down with MarineGoop. Now place whatever seat you want over it. Believe me, I know what back pain is all about.

Nice trick there!

On my old tarpon 120 and cobra tandem, I used to use a kneeling cushion . I would cut to shape and then place my seat over. Inexpensive and worked very well.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote