Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
WARRIORMIKE

Before the MLPA

What was it like before the MLPA took over at La Jolla Shores?

Was fishing that much better?
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
jorluivil

That's a really good question, never really thought much about it. I don't fish it as much as the locals but the times that I have fished LJ I haven't really seen or noticed any change. Prior to the MLPA I didn't fish the areas that are restricted now so the change never had an impact on me.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Baja_Traveler

Cant say whether it is any better or worse, we are just excluded from some inshore reef areas now. From the launch we are crossing over the left edge of La Jolla Canyon until we pretty much get off the cove. In all my scuba years diving that area I only have seen the occasional halibut I would have liked to catch - always near a sunken boat in the canyon.
The good kelp and deeper water structure is still outside the MPA area. Growing up I used to spearfish just left of the Marine Room where the sand turned into shallow rocky reef. Used to be really good for the surf perch, and I even connected with a white seabass back in that pocket in 3 feet of water. Of course, those were the good old days when I was pulling green and black abalone off the rocks literally inside the Cove...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
cabojohn
PROBATION

(edit) cleaned up my response.

MLPA's suck big green donkey dicks.

Got 36 minutes... I will tell you how I really feel.

Last edited by cabojohn; 06-16-2017 at 08:46 AM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

I miss the "Norte" bite......................bruiser YT in 10-20 feet of water.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
LJ H2Oman
Hunter

The area from Alligator Head, the point at the west side of La Jolla Cove, and then running north as far as a line drawn west from Scripps Pier has been off limits for fishing since at least the early 1980's. This includes all of the area off of La Jolla Shores. I can remember spear fishing north of the pier back in about 1976 and my recollection is that the south side of the pier was off limits even back then. I believe the boundaries for this area did not change with the recently enacted MPA. Of course, the area north of the pier was wide open for fishing back then and was recently locked up.

While I'm bummed about being shut out of more fishing grounds, I hope to heck these areas become good nurseries for growing more fish for us to catch. We just have to be damn sure no one goes and tells the fish where the boundary lines are.

<"))))><

Hobie Revo 13 . . . not as sporting . . . but a welcome upgrade from my 1966 longboard!
LJ H2Oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

It was kind of like this

Old 06-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
skrilla

Grew up fishing S. LJ by boat. Lots of good kelp and rockpiles now off limits. North of Scripps Pier had a few good bites too with no one in sight.