Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
JCHAPIN
PUNISHER

Makoville update

Baja tried to take out our trucks but we made it to Makoville. We left Monday at 0500 from San Diego. Along the way we got caught right in the brunt of the tropical storm. We made it just past Puertecito and then encountered a bridge that was destroyed. We had to move many big rocks from landslides along the way and finally had to turn back. We linked back up with a few other kayakers that we lost at one point and stayed in Puertecito at the local store. MakoBob and I gave it another shot today and it was rough going. At this point 4X4 is mandatory to pass all the destroyed bridges. 3.5 hours from Puertecito to Makoville. It will take one full day at least to move from San Felipe to Makoville. More info later once we get settled.
JCHAPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

that’s good you guys finally made it but a real bummer it took so long. Subscribing to thread for updates as we are coming later in October. Luckily both vehicles in our group will be 4 by.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Thank you for the update! We will be coming down on Saturday with 3 4x4 trucks, probably follow your trail if its not better by then.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Zed
BANNED

Good work.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHAPIN View Post
Baja tried to take out our trucks but we made it to Makoville. We left Monday at 0500 from San Diego. Along the way we got caught right in the brunt of the tropical storm. We made it just past Puertecito and then encountered a bridge that was destroyed. We had to move many big rocks from landslides along the way and finally had to turn back. We linked back up with a few other kayakers that we lost at one point and stayed in Puertecito at the local store. MakoBob and I gave it another shot today and it was rough going. At this point 4X4 is mandatory to pass all the destroyed bridges. 3.5 hours from Puertecito to Makoville. It will take one full day at least to move from San Felipe to Makoville. More info later once we get settled.
Glad you guys made it down OK and thank you for the update. I am likely a tentative at best at this point. Will let you guys know if that changes.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Sivak

I just got off the phone with Mako Bob, he said it took them 8 hours to go from Puertecitos to Mako-Ville and that the roads were super bad. He is recommending anyone headed down real soon to go thru TJ and cross over at Chapala. He also said their is no power at camp, their is a problem with the charge controller.
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivak View Post
I just got off the phone with Mako Bob, he said it took them 8 hours to go from Puertecitos to Mako-Ville and that the roads were super bad. He is recommending anyone headed down real soon to go thru TJ and cross over at Chapala. He also said their is no power at camp, their is a problem with the charge controller.
Since we're headed down in a few days, anything we can bring down to fix the problem?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
Baja_Traveler

The Friends of Gonzaga Facebook group reported many bulldozers headed north today to cut bypasses around the damage. I think that by the time we head down in a few weeks it will be easily drivable, just slower due to even more dirt roads to negotiate than before. It will be just like the Baja of my youth.

I'm also sure that when Bob returns he will have a list of materials the we will need to bring down - for both the camp and the locals...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

days of your youth..........this was the way it was just 7 years ago
Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
Denis_Ruso

Hey all,

I'm going to be searching the internet for some answers today since we leave tomorrow night.

Trying to figure out the below.

1. Is the La Poma restaurant stocked on food? Could we eat there every night for a week?

2. How is the road going up the 5 to Gonzaga from the 1 & 5 intersection?

3. Does Gonzaga Pemex still have gas?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
DavidT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Hey all,

I'm going to be searching the internet for some answers today since we leave tomorrow night.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/today.php has a couple of threads on road conditions, etc. and somewhere in there a link to a Puertecitos facebook page.
Fair warning though: that forum often dissolves into insults and backbiting.
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
DavidT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/400767196648940/
Puertecitos page.
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
Thanks, i’m already on both of those pages.

More looking for information which isnt already out there.

Scratch the road conditions question, we decided to do a bit of offroading. So we’ll be going down the 5. Slow and steady.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #14
goldenglory18

This post really makes me want to trade in my 2x4.....

Hope everyone makes it down (and out) safely!

- Kenny
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
ProfessorLongArms

I’m out

No way I’ll be comfortable outfitting a setup in time.

Stay safe down there everybody! I hope to catch a trip in 2019
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Denis_Ruso

Bummer you have to bail out. I think the biggest concern for the mid October trip is Hurricane Sergio. Forecasts are showing that in about 7-10 days there's going to be another heavy downpour.

That's my biggest worry on our drive back home next week. Fingers crossed that it wont turn towards land as forecast.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #17
Baja_Traveler

Yes, Sergio could be just as bad, and it is due to hit right in the middle of the first week of the trip.
Unfortunately it is increasingly looking like I will have to miss yet another October trip, so I'll miss all the excitement.
Bad timing on the job, as my company is assigning me to a new client in the next week or so and they will not want me dissappearing as soon as I get there...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #18
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I think Sergio could be quite a bit worse than Rosa. All the models show it coming ashore about the same area as Rosa, but Rosa left us with some very warm water. 77 degrees here in Asuncion today, so Sergio is not going to lose intensity like Rosa did. I'm thinking he could be the real deal for my area anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Yes, Sergio could be just as bad, and it is due to hit right in the middle of the first week of the trip.
Unfortunately it is increasingly looking like I will have to miss yet another October trip, so I'll miss all the excitement.
Bad timing on the job, as my company is assigning me to a new client in the next week or so and they will not want me dissappearing as soon as I get there...
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
Gr8fuldude

If the storm is called Sergio, wouldn't it be a "him-acane"? Sorry, I've been listening to too many jokes from my 6 year old daughter.

I was hoping to sneak down for a last minute Makoville trip but it's looking more and more unlikely with this weather. This will be the first year in many that I haven't made it down at least once to Makoville. Sad! Have fun everybody and hopefully I'll be back in 2019 with a vengeance!

Paul
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
Mahigeer

No fish is worth ruining your daily ride.

Not to mention getting stuck in the middle of desert.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote