Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
Jack210
Junior

Terramar/Tamarack Kayak Fishing?

I'm heading out to Terramar this Saturday and was planning on hitting up the reef and what is left of the kelp beds. Have any of you guys fished there before, if so any tips would be greatly appreciated! I want to target yellowtail by the floating kelp strands off there. Also was wondering if there is any lings or rockfish out there.
Jack210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Methman

Where do you launch from? I live in La Costa and looking for good places in north county to launch. Thanks!
Methman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
Jack210
Junior

I launch where the houses start to the north because usually, the waves are smaller there (also it,s easier to get the kayak down to the beach from there) and then paddle out and south to the reef/ kelp. I've only fished here twice and caught small calicos and hooked up to a yellowtail that broke me off...and I've only gone kayak fishing twice in the ocean so I'm kind of a noob hahaha
Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
taggermike

I used to like in Carlsbad and fished that area regularly. Any launch there is surf dependent. Ive launched right at tamarack Ave when the surf is smaller. Any where from the south hedionda jetty to where the bluff starts at teramar point can be good. Ive found the best location to be just before the bluff starts to rise. You get some protection from South swells, it's not too far to the water, and usually doesn't have many swimmers or surfers. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Dirty Curti

I fish there often. Usually the only one out there. Can't miss me in my red Stealth 12. I was out there Saturday for a few hours made some decent bait, saw good signs of life and broke one off.

I usually launch right in front of the power plant between the 2 jetties. Since the storms have washed away most of the sand the launch and landing has gotten a bit risky. It's the immediate shore break that is sketchy. If you can get past the first 10 yards then it is mostly smooth sailing from there. Only when the swell is less than 3 feet though.

Did see the bushes of kelp starting to grow back after nearly completely destroyed.

Options for fishing are calicos and sand bass in the kelp maybe a halibut. Making bait (macs) around the outer edge of the kelp or heading out and metering bait balls. I actually caught several just trolling my sabiki rig without metering anything.

I've seen a black seabass caught in the kelp, I've heard of yellows near the outer edge but I have only been able to catch yellows between 80-125 feet of water.

Good luck and if you see me out there say hi...But talk loud as my hearing is terrible on the water for some reason.

Tight lines

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
Jack210
Junior

Cool! Thank you for the tips and hope I see you out there! My friend went on Sunday and saw a guy fishing ~80 ft of water and the guy pulled up a 30-pound yellow with a fly lined mac, my friend hooked up to one but he tied a bad knot and the hook came off and he lost it. Anyways good to hear that the kelp is starting to grow back! Do you know if the Ponto/Grandview kelp beds are starting to grow back as well?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
Methman

Great info thank you! I'm not too good at going through the surf yet, but hope to see you out there soon!
Methman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #8
spicolly

Practice....

I launched a few times on both sides of the warm water jetties. The launch and landing is definitely more challenging than LJ! I've always headed south towards Terramar, though I talked (last yr) to a few guys on the beach who said there was smaller kelp north of the Hedionda jetties.

My first experience sucked because I didn't time in-between sets right. I figured I could just punch my nose through like I was surfing. One wave got me sideways, the next one dumped me. Humbling experience. Fortunately, I tied down my gear except for my gaff, which I lost. The next few times were successful - I waited and watched the breaks, then pushed my yak forward and hopped in. While I haven't mastered launching at CBad, I am more confident. I am less confident in landing at CBAD. Unlike LJ, there can be fast, consistent shore break. I haven't had a landing incident yet, but the shore break can be brutal. Similar to Curtis' report, I've gone during the middle of the week and been the only one out there. While nice avoiding a crowd, it can be kind of sketchy being alone out there...it "feels sharky" and makes one appreciate making buddies on the water in LJ.
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote