Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
crashcrow

LJ 4/28/18 Tuna Crab Everywhere

My friend has been asking a lot of questions about kayak fishing so finally had the chance to take him out. Water visibility was low and green, waves were bigger than the usual ankle slappers, current was pretty strong, and tuna crabs were all over the place. It was very hard to get anything to bite but we managed to pick a few reds from about 200 feet. We headed over to the kelp around 1130 and did some fly lining and yo yo with no luck, the bite was really slow all day.

Mike
Attached Images

crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
jlabs63

Not a bad hall under those conditions. Did catch the rockfish on red crab?
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Baja_Traveler

I should have gone out on Saturday - but decided to attend the Battle of the Bays Tournament Check-in instead.
Sunday it was 2-3 foot surf with the occasional 4 footer breaking at the launch. Got turned sideways and the next wave rolled me on the way out - friggin PA's turn like aircraft carriers. Didn't loose anything and made it out the next try.
Off the point is was really windy and choppy - didn't see a single tuna crab, and after two hours only several taps on the flatfall. Decided to call it a day and head in.
Timed the surf perfectly and thought I had it made, but in waste deep water the backwash stopped the kayak dead in the water and the next big wave turned me sideways and rolled me again. I guess it is always a successful day when you come home with all the gear you started with.
Glad I always keep a beach towel stashed in the truck - I sure needed it...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Not a bad hall under those conditions. Did catch the rockfish on red crab?
The first few were on a 6 oz jig, the current was pretty crazy so I had to use a lot of weight. Once I caught a couple and figured out what they were eating I switched to a Red Daiwa Conch Jig since it was the closest I had to a tuna crab, it was the first time I used it and will definitely be using it again in these conditions.

Mike
Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
I should have gone out on Saturday - but decided to attend the Battle of the Bays Tournament Check-in instead.
Sunday it was 2-3 foot surf with the occasional 4 footer breaking at the launch. Got turned sideways and the next wave rolled me on the way out - friggin PA's turn like aircraft carriers. Didn't loose anything and made it out the next try.
Off the point is was really windy and choppy - didn't see a single tuna crab, and after two hours only several taps on the flatfall. Decided to call it a day and head in.
Timed the surf perfectly and thought I had it made, but in waste deep water the backwash stopped the kayak dead in the water and the next big wave turned me sideways and rolled me again. I guess it is always a successful day when you come home with all the gear you started with.
Glad I always keep a beach towel stashed in the truck - I sure needed it...

The waves were pretty big at the launch this weekend for sure, I thought I made it past and then a set came from outside and swamped me a few times but I made it through. I usually jump out on the way in when its chest to waist deep to avoid a flip. I can only imagine doing that in a PA.

Mike
Old 05-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice haul
Old 05-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
TJones

Thanks for report

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
crashcrow

Thanks guys... Now if I could just get the kayak yellow crossed off the list.