Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Windy Baja

February in the northern Baja. Got into camp on the 1st of Feb. Normal Baja weather here in Makoville. WINDY< WINDY. Had one day where it was 0-10 mph. 40+ right now. Gusts to 60. For the next 14 days winds mostly above twenty and below 40. But no let up in site. San Felipe to BOLA will be blown out for all you fishermen I would reschedule until mid March. Yes I could be wrong but it is looking like a very windy spring.

In the mean time it will let me complete Second Wind. That is if the wind is not howling as even inside the garage it is breezy, has to be calmer to lay the fibreglass cloth. Cannot close the door because there it not enough light with the door closed to sea. Note to self to pick up moore lights.

Saw my first whale of this trip yesterday, he was about 1/2 mile off the island in the channel. Might be early for them. By the time this wind calms down the Orange Mouth Corvina should be on their migration route headd up toward San Felipe. Nothing like spring time corvina to get the old blood flowing.

My plan is to have Second Wind ready mid March to do her first exploratory trip. Launch just a few hundred yards NORTH of Cow Patty. That is Just before Puertocitos. Plan is to beach camp with a few friends four or five nights as we kayak fish our way south back to Makoville.

That would be a trip of about 35 miles. I would use Second Wind as our saftey-supply vessel. Carrying food, camp gear, cooking supplies for the crew. Anyone interested in this trip PLEASE contact me for further info and dates. In APRIL I will attempt the same style trip from SAN FELIPE to Makoville.

That trip will also be for mainly corvina, launching San Felipe and working our way again to Makoville. 95 Miles will be a good workout, fishing areas that most never sea. Kayakers should have a ball. I will carry most supplies. Fishing should be better than FAIR. I would like to plan this trip at 12 days on the water,

MIGHT try to set it up around a FULL MOON as 4 days after there will be a grunion run. It is really something to sea them in the late afternoon. Also that brings the Cortez halibut up on the beach for a couple days. I think the OM Corvina feed on them too. Again, any interest in joining me pleas4 contact here or on my facebook page . mako-ville. Thanks guys and Spring will be upon us soon. Tifgt Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
FullFlavorPike

Sounds like an excellent trip.

I don't envy you laying fiberglass in the baja bluster. Are you vacuum bagging the whole project when it's laid up? I've seen a glass kayak resinated in a vacuum bag on YouTube or something, and it was pretty cool.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Makoville

what is going on down in Baja with the Covid 19 situation? Good to see you getting down there still Bob. are the legs healed? I haven't been on for awhile so I thought I would see what you are up to. It looks to me like you are still steaming along.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Check Mako-ville on facebook.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
Harry Hill

I quit facebook
Old 04-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I quit facebook