Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Redondo Red Tide

UGLY...it was like someone mixed Chocolate Milk with Red Wine...the Mirage drive fins would make a small black area each time you peddled and out in the deeper water it seemed like it was down about three feet below the surface...yuck...!
Fishing sucked...tons of marks on the meter and no real biting fish...
I found two small spots of fish that wanted to eat...one held some small rockfish and sand dabs...the other had a few nice Reds for dinner...
There was a previous thread on releasing rockfish...I use this basket and about 75' of rope...just drop the fish in the water and then the basket over the top and let it go...as it's dropping I'll usually be sending my baited rig or jig down...once all the rope is out I'll pull it back up and stow it for the next little guys...
I'm on a Pro Angler so there's plenty of room for this rig...The upside down hook and a weight is the simplest way to go for releasing the undersize rockfish but it requires a dedicated rod and reel...as does the Shelton or the Rocklease...
I had a milk crate that we used on my skiff with 80' of rope...it worked great for releasing multiple fish for a few anglers if needed...
Attached Images

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
greenscales
greenscales

I thought no kayak launching in Redondo - or anywhere in LA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
SoCalEDC

Also curious as to how to access water up in redondo. Thanks for the report, hopefully the red tide passes soon.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Nice release rig Jim! That red tide is OOOOOGLY
Old 04-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

access

The only Redondo access is through the yacht clubs...
or being a boat slip owner...
The slips at KH Marina are about $375 a month for a 27' slip with a four month minimum.
The red tide is soooo Bad... you aren't missing anything

Old 04-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Salty

That's a weird looking football you're about to throw in that pic...
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
greenscales
greenscales

Thanks Jim. I had been telling peeps on FB that LA was closed. Probably need to peddle pretty far out to escape the sludge.

Are there tankers line up in SMB? Or they all around the corner? What’s the answer to the Red Tide? Cold weather, wind, clouds, a combo? Gets any worse it’s going start suffocating bait fish, etc.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

"Are there tankers line up in SMB? Or they all around the corner? What’s the answer to the Red Tide? Cold weather, wind, clouds, a combo? Gets any worse it’s going start suffocating bait fish, etc."

HEY RICHARD...No Die-offs yet that I've heard of....do you remember all the sardines that died in the harbor a number of years ago...?

I think time is the only answer to the Red Tide...

Only tankers I've heard of lately of have been speared off the kelp at PV..

Old 04-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
greenscales
greenscales

Looks like all the metal ones are off SPD/LB - 30+ & 1/2 Dan cruise ships w/no place to go. Appears only in SMB when they offload.

Was hoping for a photo op of a tanker in the midst of all the tankers. I’ll be harassing you for updates b4 5/15. Don’t even have a 20 CA license. Need to see when my Mex expires.
This would be the year to again push for a 12 month from point of purchase CA lic.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #10
GregB

Just guessing but the record April rains may have washed enough nutrient rich runoff from our lawns, sewer and septic systems to cause the algae bloom. Not a scientist but the timing seems about right.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #11
greenscales
greenscales

Greg - scroll to end for my more whimsical response.

Rain definitely an issue, but April wasn’t by any means a record (1 day was). But that steady gradual 1 week moderate temp & rain, followed by sun, heat wave, low wind and traditionally cooler water had a bigger impact. My theory, based on anecdotal observations: intense storms and heavy rains seems to blow out the runoff contaminants and usually create an ocean temp drop or increase deeper in water column. Not as conducive to the algae growth.
The conditions we just had created the “perfect storm” for the algae/plankton bloom. We had even worse red tides (I hope, hearing its breaking up now) when there was a lot more farming in So CA. More frequent in Baja. I have seen it in Colonet, where there’s a ton of agricultural runoff, cooler waters w/moderate currents, & a ton of sun (hence all the farming above). Lasts for months most years and the taints the flavor of residential inshore species.

But my alternate theory (google it or refer to South Park): It caused by an increase in all the bad Thetans and the red is from the tears of blood from Xenu.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #12
GregB

I didn't want to bring up Xenu because some people get a little weirded out when I explain it to them. So thanks for breaking the ice on that. I biked up to Santa Monica and the surf was getting green again. In MDR/Ballona Creek, it's still the red wine Ovaltine cocktail. Hope it clears out ... heading out tomorrow a.m. Figure I'll dig out one of my old Rat-L-Traps and see if I can annoy anything into biting.

Anyway, here's a good interview with a Scripps scientist on the current red tide. Really informative: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/everyt...bout-red-tides

Last edited by GregB; 05-05-2020 at 03:58 PM.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote