Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Cbad Mike

Thresher information please

Since its getting to be that time of year when we start seeing more Theshers I wanted to ask a few questions now before I have one on my line.
I have only caught pups that have been successfully released but this year Id like to catch a bigger model to bring home.

My questions are:

Knowing that I have a keeper, what is the proper technique once I get it to the side of my kayak?

How do I quickly kill the shark?

Do I bleed the shark and if so what is the best way to do so?

What do I need to do to prepare it for transport on my kayak?

After getting it home do I ice it for 24 hours or take the knife to it immediately?

What are some of your favorite ways to prepare it?

Any and all other info that would help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
PapaDave

The first thing I do when attempting to land one is get a rope around the tail. Hold on though, they don't appreciate it.

There are a number of ways to kill it, it's up to you, same as any fish.

I would kill it as quickly as possible, you may be dragging it back to the landing and that works best if it is dragged head first.

Clean it when you can, I prefer to let it sit in ice for a day, seems to work well for me.

I'm lazy so I put the steaks/fillets in a pan with butter and seasoning.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
The first thing I do when attempting to land one is get a rope around the tail. Hold on though, they don't appreciate it.

There are a number of ways to kill it, it's up to you, same as any fish.

I would kill it as quickly as possible, you may be dragging it back to the landing and that works best if it is dragged head first.

Clean it when you can, I prefer to let it sit in ice for a day, seems to work well for me.

I'm lazy so I put the steaks/fillets in a pan with butter and seasoning.
Thanks Papa Dave for the information. Its appreciated.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
MrPatrick

Gills

Cut the gills to bleed.
They stay "alive" even after being bled. The eyes will track you for a long time. Pretty creepy. Stay away from the jaws at all times. They keep moving like the eyes.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
catchnfish

For the love of god please dont post a picture of a small one on here
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
JrBasser

I have landed them for friends, and had friends land mine. So I thought I could do it alone. Never was nervous until the shark came to color and I was realizing what I was about to do without another boater in site. My initial plan was gill stab it but being on a kayak trying to get a good thrust deep into a shark and not stab yourself or your kayak is a little dangerous. I Used my gaff to repeatedly stab his gills.

Every shark is going to act differently though, you have to be on your toes with these things, and prepared for anything. Basic idea, stab his gills, get a roap on his tail. If you want to release him, you should be able to get a grab on his tail, cut the line close as you safely can, and let her go. Look up videos on youtube, theres a ton of them and you can watch a few of our guys here do it. As Long as you don't peddle a hobie, you can roll the shark into the kayak (head away of course!) and paddle in with him. You can also throw a rope around him to secure him in. You will NOT be able to paddle in with a shark behind you. Head towards the front hatch tail under your arm. Make sure his head is beyond your feet and watch out for those random snap of the jaws.

And of course, don't forget to post when you'd like to go chase them, I'm sure someone (me!) would be willing to go with!
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
CorvinaLoca

Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post

Knowing that I have a keeper, what is the proper technique once I get it to the side of my kayak?

How do I quickly kill the shark?

Do I bleed the shark and if so what is the best way to do so?

Thanks,
Mike
Depends what you mean by keeper. When you target t's from yak u run risk of killing it from exhaustion. Usually from boats u use min 80 lb gear w 20 lb drag so u can get em boat side quick nough to decide keep / release. If use treble hook for trap you way increase chance of tail hook n more likely to exhaust. I know this may not b popular but i personally view Ts as bycatch from yak. Not say u or others shouldn't yak fish for ts but my personal decision is to save t fishing for boat.
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Cbad Mike

Thanks everyone for the help.