Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

September in the Eastern Sierras

Time for another road trip...

It was a little smokey coming up Owens Valley towards Bishop last Monday and there were some thunderstorms forcast for early in the week...but we had reserved a great campsite at Silver Lake (in the June Lake Loop) and a 27' trailer from Adventure in Camping...so it was on...weather cooperating or not!

It rained the first day and evening so we just set up camp and told some lies while drinking and kicking back in our luxurious digs...with the heater on!

Carson Peak cleared up a little on Tuesday with some light showers and really heavy winds, so we went for a drive around the loop to check out the conditions at the other lakes in the loop. It was WINDY everywhere, including little Gull Lake...It looked like Rush Creek was the only protected place to fish the Hobies. I figured we could fish the creek and then be blown back across Siler Lake to our campsite.
The Creek was Awsome as usual and didn't disappoint with the trout catches and sightings. It was so calm back there and QUIET!

As if it was perfect enough....then these two showed up and made my day...

There were lots of little Brook Trout that we caught and released on the worms.

Then it was time to pay the piper and go back across the windy lake....

We hit the creek for three days and the fishing was really good. Once the weather cleared out, life was good!

We set 4 Crawdad traps on Wednesday afternoon along the banks were Rush Creek goes into Silver Lake. There were actually Big Crawdads crawling along the creek bottom in broad daylight and we were able to net a few with the landing net. They were GIANT...!

We trapped about 150 with those 4 traps and most of them were quality bugs.
The Crawdad boil that evening made us a lot of friends in the campground...

Thursday was one of those picture post card days in the Sierras just made to let a few newbies try the Hobies...

We set 8 traps on the south side of Silver Lake on our last night and pulled them the next morning hoping to bring some Dads home for a couple of parties here in town.
It was a really cold night...I had to scrape ice off the windshield and the Hobie Vantage seats the next morning...luckly I had folded the seatbacks down so at least we wern't sitting on ice.

We killed em...WFO on big monsters.

Plenty to bring home...

I already looking forward to next summer up there...!!!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 12-26-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote