Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #1
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Not sure if this is the right message board for this

I had a mishap before taking off to fish yesterday. Seems I was so excited to go, I must have been distracted. I crashed my beloved 2013 Tacoma. I absolutely cherish this truck. I have to pay this out of pocket, so does anyone know, or can someone suggest someone or someplace who does body work?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.9 KB, 365 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
walrus

I don't know what area of SD you're in. I recently had work done at Poway Valley Collision. The work they did was excellent, but the time they took was three times longer than promised. They had one lame excuse after the other for the delays, none seem legit, I think I just got pushed to the back of the line or wasn't given a real time estimate up front.

So if you want great work, and can be without the truck for a while, I recommend them.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
JeffB

Janine, ouch!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #4

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
I don't know what area of SD you're in. I recently had work done at Poway Valley Collision. The work they did was excellent, but the time they took was three times longer than promised. They had one lame excuse after the other for the delays, none seem legit, I think I just got pushed to the back of the line or wasn't given a real time estimate up front.

So if you want great work, and can be without the truck for a while, I recommend them.
Fair price, good color match?

Janine
Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Janine, ouch!
Believe me. I pitched a class A hissy fit in my front yard when it happened.

Janine
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
FISH11

Body shops always take a long time to complete the work. It is unfortunately something you can't avoid at any large body shop. I work at a car dealership and we sublet smaller jobs due to time and cost to Dent Wizard. Give them a call they will be cheaper than a large body shop and take a lot less time. Mark
Old 02-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Thank you Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Body shops always take a long time to complete the work. It is unfortunately something you can't avoid at any large body shop. I work at a car dealership and we sublet smaller jobs due to time and cost to Dent Wizard. Give them a call they will be cheaper than a large body shop and take a lot less time. Mark
I just dropped the truck off at Toyota for an estimate. I know, I know... I told them I thought my bringing the truck to them was a waste of time because I would not be able to afford their work! They did say that if I was paying out of pocket vs insurance, they would give me a better deal and use Toyota parts.

Is there really a difference between Toyota parts and after market. I'm kind of a purist when it comes to my truck. I will definately look into Dent Wizzard.

Janine
Old 02-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
Lipripper92592

Toyota does not make body filler, so that's a BS story saying they will use Toyota parts. IF what you are showing is the only damage, you'll either replace the whole bed, (super easy) , or they will pull the dent, fill it with bondo or equivalent body filler, prime, then paint. You might be able to get a new bed, with matching paint for around $1000. Possibly less.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Perfect time to install a kayak rack instead of a bed
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
Sdspeed

I feel your pain!

I had almost the same damage to the bed of my Toyota. Twice!
Once on each side. Two difefrent body shops repaired it the same way. They remove the outer skin and spot weld a new outer skin ( panel) and paint, apply decals as needed.
No bondo or body filler. Both repairs look perfect and have held up fine over the past 5 or 6 years already. I'm pro OEM body panels because they are straighter! Been in and out of the industry for 30 years.
Besides it's a 2013 truck!
Finding a bed would work but that's a tough color.Can't tell but what about the bumper?
These guys ar top notch but as said before it's more about down time than getting it repaired right! PHILIP THEARLE'S AUTOWERKS INC. Santee, Ca.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #11

Estimate from Bob Baker Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
I had almost the same damage to the bed of my Toyota. Twice!
Once on each side. Two difefrent body shops repaired it the same way. They remove the outer skin and spot weld a new outer skin ( panel) and paint, apply decals as needed.
No bondo or body filler. Both repairs look perfect and have held up fine over the past 5 or 6 years already. I'm pro OEM body panels because they are straighter! Been in and out of the industry for 30 years.
Besides it's a 2013 truck!
Finding a bed would work but that's a tough color.Can't tell but what about the bumper?
These guys ar top notch but as said before it's more about down time than getting it repaired right! PHILIP THEARLE'S AUTOWERKS INC. Santee, Ca.
Holy $#!^. To replace, rebuild and repaint in all "Toyota Parts", 2633.00! They know how to hurt a gal! I will now start with other estimates. I will look into
Autowerks.

Janine
Old 02-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
CG_88
Junior

A few years back, my wife's carrolla got rear ended by a Marine's truck. USAA paid for the damage and we got the work done at caliber collision on Miramar Rd. They were fast and the work was excellent. The whole rear end looked like a new car, too bad the front still looked old and beat up. I dont know how much it cost, cause insurance paid and my wife handled the paperwork for it.
CG_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #13

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG_88 View Post
A few years back, my wife's carrolla got rear ended by a Marine's truck. USAA paid for the damage and we got the work done at caliber collision on Miramar Rd. They were fast and the work was excellent. The whole rear end looked like a new car, too bad the front still looked old and beat up. I dont know how much it cost, cause insurance paid and my wife handled the paperwork for it.
Another company to add to my arsenal. Thank you!

Janine
Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
cabojohn
PROBATION

All Pro Off Road makes a fantastic plate bumper that is rock solid and would probably cover up the damage you currently have. ?
They are in Hemet, CA ( search all pro off road - Trail Armor)

These bumpers looks great on the new tacos...and they can take abuse.
cost WAY less than fixing your boo boo.? Great upgrade for your TRD.

Last edited by cabojohn; 02-02-2015 at 07:33 PM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #15
Raskal311

The 2016 redesigned Tacoma is coming out in a few months

Last edited by Raskal311; 02-02-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 AM   #16

All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
All Pro Off Road makes a fantastic plate bumper that is rock solid and would probably cover up the damage you currently have. ?
They are in Hemet, CA ( search all pro off road - Trail Armor)

These bumpers looks great on the new tacos...and they can take abuse.
cost WAY less than fixing your boo boo.? Great upgrade for your TRD.
Hey I looked those up on All Pro. Very handsome, but not my cup of tea. I like my truck a little more girly!

J
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #17
Ddwineguy

There is a small family run auto shop that is in National City. He does all the work for the dealers on the Mile of Cars. It is called Glen's Auto Body. Super fair prices and great work. I just had a hood dent and a hood repaint plus door on my wife's BMW and it came out perfect.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #18
Fishin Phil

Sorry about your misfortune. Chula Vista Auto Body does excellent work. They do a great job on color matching and get the job done right in a timely manner.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #19
bluesquids

Wife did similar damage, maybe not quite as bad. I got 3 quotes from mobile dent repair guys on yelp with the highest ratings. Lowest was $260 highest, $350. You just email them a pic and they get right back to you. She ended up taking it to a small shop, Mexican father and son near her work on University close to college. They wanted 300, but matched the 260 quote. They did such a good job, wife went back with a tip the next day.
Big shops charge way too much.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #20
Lipripper92592

You can always drive to TJ for the day and get it done there. Might be some risk and QC issues,, but the price might be more in your range.
There are a lot of spot welds to grind out if you are going to replace the skin, thus the high cost associated with going that route.
Put a Craigs list add out looking for a Gold taco bed. You will be surprised.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote