Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #61
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts View Post
I see many of you guys from down here have seen the overcrowding explode due to internet exposure, and are doing your best to curb the damage, and I salute you for that.Like Pal said;there just isnt a lot of very productive spots left anymore due to the closures,and the ones that are good get crowded very quickly.My question is,Why do some of you guys feel it is alright to blow up a bite any way,with total disregaurd for the locals?Is it because,you think your doing the lazy man a favor just sitting on his couch?and you will be a hero for it?or is it because you live hours away, you got your fish and wont be back till next year,or ,maybe you had a personal problem with someone and your on a quest to send everyone to crowd that spot? whatever the reason I see most of you say one thing about your secret bite then go expose another,So,what is your determining factor,shut up about this one bite then go expose the other bite?
that is really negative...

positive note.... People like to share

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #62
jorluivil

If I was a mod I know What I'd be doing right about now.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #63
kluts

bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
that is really negative...

positive note.... People like to share
Nothing negative about it at all,just wondering what motivates people to go silent about one bite but not another and obviously people dont like to share,or there would be a lot more posting,,maybe you can understand that now,but I doubt it
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #64
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Nothing negative about it at all,just wondering what motivates people to go silent about one bite but not another and obviously people dont like to share,or there would be a lot more posting,,maybe you can understand that now,but I doubt it
Sure some people like to share, come and join one of our Baja or Bust trips, and see what sharing is all about. EVERYONE is welcome.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #65
Drake

Quote:
I think people are misconstrued as what constitutes a "Bite"

The stray Yellow Tail which get picked up here and there and make it to the forums isn't a "bite." There are YT in La Jolla all year long and they're bound to get caught between wide open bites.

A "bite" means load up your cooler with ice, make room in your freezer and bring one rod because that's all you're going to need to leave with limits. We had a few like that this year and to be honest most of them were kept on the hush within a very small circle.

Often times, when the squid bites blow up in LJ isn't because it gets posted on the internet. It's mainly because you can't launch from the shores and NOT paddle past the boats and kayaks sitting on the squid grounds. Most of the time people stop and say

"Uhhh Hey....whats going on in here."

They didn't even know squid existed. I didn't my first time I fished there.
Next day, they come back with squid jigs and dropper loops. They call their new buddies they just met, tell them and then post it on the web because they're super stoked. Usually someone will nudge that lucky angler to keep from posting on the internet for a few days to keep the pressure off.

The WSB came through LJ in the Spring and for four days there was only two skiffs, three kayaks, a few divers and one PB on that bite then it was over. It was limits for everyone but that bite never saw the web because all the guys out there knew the impact it would have on the fishery. A few weeks later, most of us posted our stories and our fish.

There's always that occasional "Well the Cats out of the bag" post when someone decides to blow up a bite under the assumption it's already known and usually that's true.

Policing other individuals right to post is not only constitutionally wrong but just a dickish thing to do. The best this would be to educate and encourage those who wish to post to use discretion when and what information they post. Not because it protects the locals, or the guys who work hard to find the fish themselves... but because if they want LJ to stay open and they care to see home guards here year after year they will be mindful of the impact 200+ baited lines in the water will do the population. No need to bully people in a corner and threaten them if they post.

It's very important for new guys to make small circles of friends like Lollipop, Sewer, RedSled, TackticalCrew, Jurassic..... not saying they need to make team names and all that nonsense, just get a small group of like minded individuals who want to excel at this sport and can help eachother out without relying on the internet to put fish in their laps.

That's my .02

Last edited by Drake; 10-26-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #66
kluts

bites

Well said.
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #67
jorluivil

Quote:
I see many of you guys from down here have seen the overcrowding explode due to internet exposure, and are doing your best to curb the damage, and I salute you for that.Like Pal said;there just isnt a lot of very productive spots left anymore due to the closures,and the ones that are good get crowded very quickly.My question is,Why do some of you guys feel it is alright to blow up a bite any way,with total disregaurd for the locals?Is it because,you think your doing the lazy man a favor just sitting on his couch?and you will be a hero for it?or is it because you live hours away, you got your fish and wont be back till next year,or ,maybe you had a personal problem with someone and your on a quest to send everyone to crowd that spot? whatever the reason I see most of you say one thing about your secret bite then go expose another,So,what is your determining factor,shut up about this one bite then go expose the other bite?

What's considered a local?

If a local invites me to a wide open bite and then goes and post up a report of all the fish we caught the next day does that make it OK?

We fished LJ a few months ago, everyone was crowded in an area south of me, I was literally fishing alone away from the crowds. I had a double YT hook up and when I landed one of the two YT everyone came my way. Should I have kicked them out of my spot or moved away and let the 'locals' have it?

I could care less how it comes to you but do you literally find your own hot bite Or does someone tell you about it?

Why do some feel the need to share a bite? Because they can.

How many 'hot bites' have there been up and down the coast(SD to Ventura) this year? How many of those were posted on BWE? I know of one local bite that went on for at least two weeks, not a word was posted on BWE or Bloodydecks but the area was as crowded as Walmart on Black Friday. Gee, I wondered how they all found out about it.

You don't need to post a hot bite or a any bite on any website. All you need to do is make a phone call or send a text. I posted these numbers once before but I'll do it again.

4 yakkers text 4 yakkers about a hote bite
4 yakkers each text another 4 yakkers (16 yakkers now know about the bite)
16 kayakers each text another 4 yakkers(64 yakkers now know about the bite)
256 yakkers each text another 4 yakkers(256 yakkers now know about the bite)

you see where this is going?

Last edited by jorluivil; 10-26-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Because its the local thing to do
Old 10-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #68
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

you see where this is going?
1024 kayakers?
Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #69
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
1024 kayakers?
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I love this place!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #70
Drake

Quote:
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I love this place!
This place loves you too. However, your math is off.

If 4 know, and tell 4 people. 16 NEW yakkers know, plus the 4 that told them. So, 20 know about the bite.

Those 16 NEW tell 4 each, so now 64 NEW Kayakers know, plus the original 16+4 so we are at 84.
Those 64 NEW tell 4 more people each, so 320 NEW people now know, plus the original 84. So 404...

If we're going to put it on the internet let's at least make it accurate <3

Last edited by Drake; 10-26-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #71
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Darn, we sure do have a lot of yakers out here, it's a wonder there are any fish left.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #72
jorluivil

Quote:
This place loves you too. However, your math is off.

If 4 know, and tell 4 people. 16 NEW yakkers know, plus the 4 that told them. So, 20 know about the bite.

Those 16 NEW tell 4 each, so now 64 NEW Kayakers know, plus the original 16+4 so we are at 84.
Those 64 NEW tell 4 more people each, so 320 NEW people now know, plus the original 84. So 404...

If we're going to put it on the internet let's at least make it accurate <3

If 1 tells 4 its 1 + 4 = 5
if 5 tell 4 each its 5 x 4 = 20 + 5 = 25
if 25 tell 4 each its 25 x 4 = 100 + 25 = 125
if 125 tell 4 each its 125 x 4 = 500 + 125 = 625

Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #73
Drake

Quote:
If 1 tells 4 its 1 + 4 = 5
if 5 tell 4 each its 5 x 4 = 20 + 5 = 25
if 25 tell 4 each its 25 x 4 = 100 + 25 = 125
if 125 tell 4 each its 125 x 4 = 500 + 125 = 625
That's a linear equation. Your first example was exponential.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #74
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up professor!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #75
jorluivil

Quote:

">

Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #76
Drake

I love you

Now can we get back to the meat of this thread?
Get off my fish everyone. I claim them as my own
Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #77
Margarita Mike

Some of us are just to damn old anymore. Hell, Its getting hard to remember my pass word.
Margarita Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #78
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Mike View Post
Some of us are just to damn old anymore. Hell, Its getting hard to remember my pass word.
xxxx, OR WAS IT XXXXX? Now I remember it was Baja or Bust!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #79
Aaron&Julie

X3 What wiredantz and PAL said.

Sometimes it feels like we're the only ones posting a timely report (within 1-3 days) anymore even when we don't score.
The degree to which we post has gone down due to personal factors that have seen us go only 4 times in the last year and a half and that was within these last 3 months. 3 out of 4 trips were reported we believe.

We agree with wiredantz and PAL on the main issues they pointed out, especially the code groups. Think about it, there are some top notch guides who do get people on fish. If reports were posted right away by the guides or customers, when they scored all of those yellows and whites it could only hurt their business for the next few days, as every PBer and kayaker would hit the water and take over the area. The customers still post, but from what we've seen typically it's well after a bite, weeks and months at times. Sure, they'll give kudos to their guide, but it sure doesn't help another kayaker out.

We go when we can go, and we almost always post a detailed report ASAP, without leaving anything out. Sure, it would be great to know that a bite's going on, just don't count on finding one a SoCal kayak fishing website.

We could give a flying Wallenda why others have their reasons for not posting timely reports. But if you see one from us, you might give the lengthy report a glance that it might help you soon after

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 10-28-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Add-on
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #80
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
X3 What wiredantz and PAL said.

Sometimes it feels like we're the only ones posting a timely report (within 1-3 days) anymore even when we don't score.
The degree to which we post has gone down due to personal factors that have seen us go only 4 times in the last year and a half and that was within these last 3 months. 3 out of 4 trips were reported we believe.

We agree with wiredantz and PAL on the main issues they pointed out, especially the code groups. Think about it, there are some top notch guides who do get people on fish. If reports were posted right away by the guides or customers, when they scored all of those yellows and whites it could only hurt their business for the next few days, as every PBer and kayaker would hit the water and take over the area. The customers still post, but from what we've seen typically it's well after a bite, weeks and months at times. Sure, they'll give kudos to their guide, but it sure doesn't help another kayaker out.

We go when we can go, and we almost always post a detailed report ASAP, without leaving anything out. Sure, it would be great to know that a bite's going on, just don't count on finding one a SoCal kayak fishing website.

We could give a flying Wallenda why others have their reasons for not posting timely reports. But if you see one from us, you might give the lengthy report a glance that it might help you soon after

Well said