Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Alaska trip part two.

Alaska trip 2020 part two.

I am well known for over packing, but I have my reasons. However, for the next trip I will be traveling much lighter to Alaska for fishing.

If you plan to do a similar trip to Alaska, here are my suggestions based on my experience and mistakes.

1-Get an Alaska Airlines’ credit card issued by B of A. Put the cost of the trip on the card like lodging, airline, etc. Check out all the benefits on line.
Too many to list here. I have no affiliation with any card or merchandise that is mentioned.

2- Do not take any fishing gear including heavy rain gear, or boots. Left handed reels are excluded, if you cannot fish without them.
If you do take reels, the biggest reel for halibut should have all braid line. #100-#150.
One medium size all #30 mono or fluorocarbon reel for salmon.
One medium all braid #80 for rockfish if the season is open.

3- A camera with a long lens would be most helpful, as well as a waterproof bag for the camera or as a backpack.

4- If you use the AAL credit card to buy you airline ticket on Alaska Airlines, the first checked-in bag is free. Thus, if you go light enough to not to have any checked-in bag/s, on the way back your first box of 50 lbs. fish will be free.
Currently the baggage fees without card are as follows: First bag=$30.00 Second bag=$40.00 Third bag=$100.00 Forth bag=$100.00
You can see the advantage of having the card and not having any check-in bag/s on the way to Alaska.

5- Each captain has different experiences and beliefs. However, my impression is that they strive to put fish on the boat and your box. At times they may seem harsh and rude. It is in the heat of the battle. Do not be upset or be offended. Follow his instructions.

6- If you are going to try river fishing, go very light on gear.

7- Most importantly Have a good attitude and go with the flow.

Side note: If you think I was exaggerating about over packing, here is a sample:
I had seen on the SOF show that one night the lodge would be serving crabs and other seafood.
I packet the items below:

They did the job and I may take them again, depending on my load.

The End.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Saba Slayer

Thanks

Thanks Hasheim...
Once again... a great job on the photos and the report on your vacation...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Thanks Hasheim...
Once again... a great job on the photos and the report on your vacation...!
Glad you like it.

Regards,

Hashem
Old 07-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Since there are interests in the cost of the trip, here is what I responded to a member here.

There was no discount due to Covid issue, since we did everything that normally is done. Their business has suffered enough. The town wants all of the lodges closed. Some have closed.

The package excluding tips and alcohol was gone up this year to $3,690.00. If you pay by CC, the lodge charges additional 2%.
I was lucky to reserve an airline seat for about $635.00 round trip. The lady in the first picture at the bar had to pay $1,200, is what I heard.

Since the plane was not full, they had to makeup with last minute price hike.

I 100% recommend the lodge. I plan to go back next year, with or without the (SOF) gang. I have to see how nicer it is without all my extra weight.
I already paid $40.00 for the second check-in and close to $100.00 for freight for the fish.

I am even buying a new small freezer to keep the fish.

Hardworking staff. We all had the same captain for the duration, so I cannot speak about other captains.

There was notice on the back of the door as suggestion for the tip. $200.00=$40.00/day for captain and $150.00 tip for the housekeeping, others. I paid bit more.

I am glad you like the report.

Please be safe,
Hashem

Last edited by Mahigeer; 05-06-2021 at 05:24 AM.